Freezing water

Help Support CattleToday:

My question is this: Mike, have you had cold enough temps that lines have busted? Up in the foothills we've seen very little freezing temps. Seriously, we've had hardly any days with temps low enough to freeze even the birdbath water.

J. T.":3nzqo8ry said:
Seriously, we've had hardly any days with temps low enough to freeze even the birdbath water.

Hmmm, I may have to look into moving the AL.

JR Cattle Co.":2odjgfh7 said:
Pressure and heat are inversely related... Example:As you decrease the pressure, the water molecules heat up, just as when you increase pressure, the water molecules cool down. Heat in these circumstances is produced by the friction of the molecules as they collide with eachother... so, if you increase the pressure, the area for the molecules to travel is smaller, resulting in less collisions and therefore less heat.. If you decrease the pressure, then the area for molecules to travel increases resulting in more violent collisions which results in more heat. Take this for example: As most of us know, when a cow kicks, it hurts worse if she is at a full legs length away as opposed to being snugged up to her side. The potential energy of the cows kick changes as you move nearer or further away. The closer, the less violent and painful the kick is, as you move further away, the more violent and painful the kick becomes. The same is true with the water molecules. The reason adding salt to water makes it cooler, is because the chemical reaction between the hydrogen molecules in the water and the sodium molecules in the salt results in heat (energy) being pulled from the solution (the water) in order to break the bonds of the NaCl (salt). This is an exothermic reaction because the heat (energy) is pulled from the water resulting in the temperature decrease.
An air conditioning system works by concentrating the heat via compression. When the pressure is released via cap tube or expansion valve the the freon is cold. The same thing happens in an air compressor. So if what you are saying is true it is unique to water?

Two basic physical science principles: #1. Most materials, like heat and pressure, are transferred from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration. #2. Pressure generates/causes heat. Source: Any Jr. High Physical Science book you want to look at.

dun":18qo5zlx said:
J. T.":18qo5zlx said:
Seriously, we've had hardly any days with temps low enough to freeze even the birdbath water.

Hmmm, I may have to look into moving the AL.
Missouri wouldn't last a week without you, Dun.

Did you get your answer?

Im in school right now to be a chemical engineer (though only on my second semster) and i'd say it would freeze faster (if the pressure were great enough). If you increase the atmospheric pressure above a liquid in a closed tube it would force the molecules closer togather. If a liquids molecules get close enough they become ordered and solidify. So my guess (with alittle bit a thought) would say it would freeze faster.

JR Cattle Co.":21xqlvxa said:
Pressure and heat are inversely related... Example:As you decrease the pressure, the water molecules heat up, just as when you increase pressure, the water molecules cool down. Heat in these circumstances is produced by the friction of the molecules as they collide with eachother... so, if you increase the pressure, the area for the molecules to travel is smaller, resulting in less collisions and therefore less heat.. If you decrease the pressure, then the area for molecules to travel increases resulting in more violent collisions which results in more heat. Take this for example: As most of us know, when a cow kicks, it hurts worse if she is at a full legs length away as opposed to being snugged up to her side. The potential energy of the cows kick changes as you move nearer or further away. The closer, the less violent and painful the kick is, as you move further away, the more violent and painful the kick becomes. The same is true with the water molecules. The reason adding salt to water makes it cooler, is because the chemical reaction between the hydrogen molecules in the water and the sodium molecules in the salt results in heat (energy) being pulled from the solution (the water) in order to break the bonds of the NaCl (salt). This is an exothermic reaction because the heat (energy) is pulled from the water resulting in the temperature decrease.

Just for my sake i thought I'd look into your post and correct me if im wrong but the reason a decrease in pressure allows things to heat up quicker (boil) is because it takes less energy for those molecules to enter into the gas phase. The reason salt lowers the freezing point of water is because it takes more energy to break apart the bonds between the salt ions and the water molecules because water is polar and NaCl is ionic.

J. T.":30aqus6k said:
My question is this: Mike, have you had cold enough temps that lines have busted? Up in the foothills we've seen very little freezing temps. Seriously, we've had hardly any days with temps low enough to freeze even the birdbath water.

Yes we have the past few days. :lol:

Latest posts