Freezing and mud

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that when you have really cold freezing weather and the mud freezes that it seems to make the mud slicker? My theory is the same reason that frost seeding works so well, the opening of the soil to allow the seed to work it's way in, that the mud expanding and contracting aireates the soil so that the water can better penetrate the solid particles to make it slicker.
Summer mud may be deeper but it just doesn;t seem as slick and slippery

dun

My favorite is when you have a half inch of mud on top of the frozen ground under it, slicker than snot.

cfpinz

yes frozen mudd is very slick.about like walking on glass.an no fun when you slipp an stump your foot.

cfpinz":xwfywqtl said:
My favorite is when you have a half inch of mud on top of the frozen ground under it, slicker than snot.

cfpinz

Had to walk my 2WD tractor over 100ft on 2 or 3% grade with the forks on the loader in that stuff during a thaw a few years ago. Tractor couldn't sink because the ground was frozen.

Welcome to our world....
We wait for a nice warm day, (anything above freezing) and muck out the pens with a blade. We would have cows standing in six inches of slop if we didn't. Around here we will be getting the freeze/thaw for a couple of months until the ground finally thaws in April and we can get the pens in order.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

Latest posts