Freeze brand question

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks Chippie
We're planning to brand our around 3-6mths I thought the brand would grow so I brought the smallest sized numbers I could which are 2".
I did some searching on the 'net & came up with 21-24 seconds for calves does this sound about right?

Good point Chippie. We have tow sets of irons. One small for calves, one large for cows. I believe the calf size is 2.5 inch letters and the cow size is 3.5 inch.

If you get a good clip, right down to the skin, 25 seconds will work with liquid nitrogen. You can clip right down to the skin with a surgical blade on your clipper ( we use a commercial grade Oster). We went with the next step up because of plugging issues with the surgical blade. We leave a little hair and then have to hold the iron on a little longer. One trick we learned was to dip the running clipper in a coffee can of diesel between clips. Diesel lubricates the mechanism and the action within the diesel cleans out the tiny hair particles. If speed clipping wasn't important we would take our time with a surgical blade and clip right down to the skin. That's really how it should be done for best results.

Thats a good tip using the diesel I used to use clipper oil when I was clipping horses but would often have trouble with the oil on the blades.
Another question: When branding jersey heifers will the 25 secs leave white hair or a bald brand? just wondering on the timing as we have some golden, dun, brown & black heifers that will need doing I want to get it right the first time & not blotch things up
Thanks
Jane

Latest posts