Freemartin or not

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
One of my cows had a set of twins last weekend . The heifer was born Friday morning the bull Saturday morning .The heifer is Ma-Hogany in color and weighted 50# Bull is jet black with a blazed face 75#.Since they were born a day apart , so different in color and weight That maybe two eggs were fertilized. I know in most case of twins of different sex the heifer is a Freemartin .There mother is taking good care of both and she is so easy going would like to keep the heifer for my herd.When she is older can a vet tell if she is or not ?

Bovine Part Time":20g94hvu said:
maybe two eggs were fertilized. I know in most case of twins of different sex the heifer is a Freemartin .
No Maybe about it. Definitely 2 eggs.

A single egg split is always Identical. Boys are not identical to girls... (no matter what your government rules)
Therefore male/female twin pairs Always come from 2 separate eggs.

Bovine Part Time":20v2urhl said:
Dose being born a day apart change anything as far as her being a Freemartin ?
No. It has nothing to do with birth. While the fetuses are developing, the heifer gets too much male hormone from the bull calf. Many times you can tell by looking at her vulva. Generally, just doesn't look right - too big - too small - elongated - hairy. They have a blood test to be sure.

And other then waiting and seeing if she can carry a pregnancy the blood test is the quickest and surest method

Just sent a DNA blood sample test to Genetic Visions in Wisconsin. They were very quick and it was simple to do. Did not cost much either. I just wanted to make sure my heifer twinned to a bull was a free martin. Sure enough she was. I would figure it would be the same for yours as well.

I agree with Jeanne, if it has an obviously deformed vulva or excessive hair on the bottom of the vulva it is almost certainly sterile. I worked with a great dairyman years ago and he would evaluate every twin heifer and was really good at deciding which to keep. He told me at least 10% of the twin heifers to bull calves he had he kept and were breedable. Also the infertile ones usually have an obviously masculine head.

ohiosteve":12s5f7x7 said:
, if it has an obviously deformed vulva or excessive hair on the bottom of the vulva it is almost certainly sterile.. Also the infertile ones usually have an obviously masculine head.

Many years ago I was in a bar in south Florida that reminded me of this scenario . . . . . . . . . . . .they should have called it the "Freemartin Bar and Grill" :lol:

Ol' 243":3tcdd3xe said:
ohiosteve":3tcdd3xe said:
, if it has an obviously deformed vulva or excessive hair on the bottom of the vulva it is almost certainly sterile.. Also the infertile ones usually have an obviously masculine head.

Many years ago I was in a bar in south Florida that reminded me of this scenario . . . . . . . . . . . .they should have called it the "Freemartin Bar and Grill" :lol:
I suppose you were the impotent "eunuch" standing in the corner simply "talking about it".

Thank you all for your reply's . I have two more cow,s to calve and hopefully one will give me a heifer so I will have some the bulls blood line.

Latest posts