Free Time

Help Support CattleToday:

I felt 'friend type' relationships were much more important when I was in jr high school.
Not so much as an adult. I try not to be discourteous, but I can only take so much of hearing about other people's children and grandchildren and I have no inclination at all to discuss mine with other people.

greybeard":4ieux5rr said:
I felt 'friend type' relationships were much more important when I was in jr high school.
Not so much as an adult. I try not to be discourteous, but I can only take so much of hearing about other people's children and grandchildren and I have no inclination at all to discuss mine with other people.

"We all have to be who we are". There is a limit to what anyone can handle on small talk.

I am curious to ask you: Why do you spend so much of your time on Cattle Today? The most active Users like you and I, spend the lion's share of our time providing commentary on mostly news links that are posted or social issues, i.e. this thread. From the profile you have built, how do you justify that use of your time? For me, it is entertainment. Like you, I am 68. Quite frankly, at my age, recharging is necessary in order to go back out and work. I waste that time on CT or playing word games on my cell phone.

Bright Raven":ktr64ns9 said:
greybeard":ktr64ns9 said:

"We all have to be who we are". There is a limit to what anyone can handle on small talk.

I am curious to ask you: Why do you spend so much of your time on Cattle Today? The most active Users like you and I, spend the lion's share of our time providing commentary on mostly news links that are posted or social issues, i.e. this thread. From the profile you have built, how do you justify that use of your time? For me, it is entertainment. Like you, I am 68. Quite frankly, at my age, recharging is necessary in order to go back out and work. I waste that time on CT or playing word games on my cell phone.

And texting with me...

Bright Raven":3sg708pr said:
greybeard":3sg708pr said:

I've often wondered the same thing not just about one person or this forum in particular, but it seems like no matter how busy people claim to be these days, they always have time to get on their phones and text or get on forums throughout the day. I often think of my grandparent's generation when I think of "work." That was back when people actually did do physical work I don't know what the equivalent of texting would have been back then, but if I had been helping haul in hay and pulling out a notepad every few minutes or reading a few pages in a book, they would probably have jerked it out of my hand and told me to pay attention and get to work. It's no trouble to figure out how I do it now; I'm just lazy. :lol2:

herofan":2vai0q6r said:
Bright Raven":2vai0q6r said:
greybeard":2vai0q6r said:

I've often wondered the same thing not just about one person or this forum in particular, but it seems like no matter how busy people claim to be these days, they always have time to get on their phones and text or get on forums throughout the day. I often think of my grandparent's generation when I think of "work." That was back when people actually did do physical work I don't know what the equivalent of texting would have been back then, but if I had been helping haul in hay and pulling out a notepad every few minutes or reading a few pages in a book, they would probably have jerked it out of my hand and told me to pay attention and get to work. It's no trouble to figure out how I do it now; I'm just lazy. :lol2:

You have a good sense of humor. Lol

I am honest. I waste a lot of time here if you consider it being non-productive. But hey, old men have limitations.

I have basically 1 friend I visit with from time to time. I don't need to be "seen" at social events to feel important. Before social media people worked at a slower pace. Most folks had a whit rock or a piece of whittle in there pocket . Or 10 min here and there they would just sit and ponder. It's no different really just different media. I only need to get approval from my family. The rest can accept it or kma it's no bearing either way.

Boot Jack Bulls":2baczpg1 said:
greybeard":2baczpg1 said:
If a person doesn't 'get old' then none of this will matter anyway.
Within 2 generations, our faces will be gone from memory, our words (for most of us ) gone before that.
This is why every second I can manage of free time is spent with my daughter. When I am gone, the memories she has of me will be all that remains. When I am not at my "day job" or sleeping, she is likely by my side, not out out necessity. Free time is running to get groceries, worming cattle, trimming horses and watching the dogs chase bunnies in the yard at sunset...we do all of it as a family.

You get it!

M-5":1m4gyvrh said:
I have basically 1 friend

I believe it. That statement will not require debate.(humor, I couldn't resist)

I don't need to be "seen" at social events to feel important.

Neither do I. I never even considered that as a reason to attend an event. I like public appearances in shorter segments. I prefer going to a Dr. office and storming out after a 15 minute wait.

Most folks had a whit rock or a piece of whittle in there pocket . Or 10 min here and there they would just sit and ponder. It's no different really just different media.

I agree with that explanation; I just assumed a few minutes here and there was taboo among the busy crowd.

I only need to get approval from my family. The rest can accept it or kma it's no bearing either way.

I consider myself to have a similar attitude; I've always said I don't really care what others think, but you seem to have a little more edge about it. I don't have a problem if people find me a likeable person. I don't particularly have a desire to think that whenever I walk down the street everybody is thinking, "there come a donkey." Being liked is not always going to happen, so we just get over it and go on, but are you the type that always seems to rub people the wrong way in your town?

herofan":2hx0pnq2 said:
M-5":2hx0pnq2 said:
I have basically 1 friend

I believe it. That statement will not require debate.(humor, I couldn't resist)

There are lots of folks that I consider friends and they consider me theirs , I only hang out with one on occasion

I don't need to be "seen" at social events to feel important.

Neither do I. I never even considered that as a reason to attend an event. I like public appearances in shorter segments. I prefer going to a Dr. office and storming out after a 15 minute wait.

I work in public and serve on several boards , I do lots of 'EVENTS" and most of the time i get elected to be the MC , I think I get drafted because of my ability to speak clearly and with authority and I am not scared of it,

Most folks had a whit rock or a piece of whittle in there pocket . Or 10 min here and there they would just sit and ponder. It's no different really just different media.

I agree with that explanation; I just assumed a few minutes here and there was taboo among the busy crowd.

People that have to work on performance or production know how to get jobs done in a timely fashion to afford a little break. BTW in my 51 years I have never met a state or government employee that know the value of getting a job done in an efficient or fast manner.

I only need to get approval from my family. The rest can accept it or kma it's no bearing either way.

I consider myself to have a similar attitude; I've always said I don't really care what others think, but you seem to have a little more edge about it. I don't have a problem if people find me a likeable person. I don't particularly have a desire to think that whenever I walk down the street everybody is thinking, "there come a donkey." Being liked is not always going to happen, so we just get over it and go on, but are you the type that always seems to rub people the wrong way in your town?
You might be surprised , Alot can be said of dependable people that will sacrifice for the good others and while some might scoff at an answer they get, I can guarantee its the truth and they would not think of calling anyone else when in need.

alisonb":19727gmr said:
I was wishing that I had more free time earlier, just seem to be busy all the time. Have decided to make an effort and see if things can be streamlined, get the old flowchart going :p

How much free time do you have? What do you do in your free time? I'd like to have more time for my hobbies...
I get a bit bitter sometimes, seeing all my friends out doing fun things. Even those who farm/ranch. And all we seem to do is work. Heck, I had to determine my wedding date between 8 different seasons. 3rd week of June is our anniversary/vacation time every year.

I work a full time job, handle the administrative side of cattle, assist with working cattle, running seed, fencing, moving equipment, you get it...the list goes on.

And friends ask "Hey do you want to ____" and I'd love to but there is no downtime. In the off chance I do go do something, I am ready for bed by 9 because a 9PM bedtime sounds FANTASTIC. Lately, I've been preparing supper at 9:30 and we haven't even had to irrigate hard this year. Boys started back to school yesterday and I won mom of the year because they had to fend for themselves when it came to supper. They were fine with it but it killed me inside. Hubby and I were in bed by midnight and I was up at 5:30 to make them a good breakfast to redeem myself and head to work.

It just doesn't stop.

Bright Raven":1lcvznh2 said:
I am honest. I waste a lot of time here if you consider it being non-productive. But hey, old men have limitations.

It's what you enjoy, so that's all that matters. I never feel that one has to apologize for not always being productive in the way that most people define being productive. Even if someone works in a career where they sacrifice their own time and health to help others, there has to come a breaking point. If someone needs to binge-watch Gunsmoke for a day here and there to reset themselves, then so be it.
In my opinion, they are producing something. They are producing a sane mind and refreshed body that will be more efficient when they do go back to work. Id rather have the brain surgeon who got a good nights sleep, felt refreshed, and felt happy as opposed to the one who was exhausted and overworked.

You might be surprised , Alot can be said of dependable people that will sacrifice for the good others and while some might scoff at an answer they get, I can guarantee its the truth and they would not think of calling anyone else when in need.
A thumbs up!
I was always advised, "Be known for who and/or what you are......not for what others want you to be".

NEFarmwife":1t6o0sj7 said:
alisonb":1t6o0sj7 said:
I was wishing that I had more free time earlier, just seem to be busy all the time. Have decided to make an effort and see if things can be streamlined, get the old flowchart going :p

How much free time do you have? What do you do in your free time? I'd like to have more time for my hobbies...
I get a bit bitter sometimes, seeing all my friends out doing fun things. Even those who farm/ranch. And all we seem to do is work. Heck, I had to determine my wedding date between 8 different seasons. 3rd week of June is our anniversary/vacation time every year.

I work a full time job, handle the administrative side of cattle, assist with working cattle, running seed, fencing, moving equipment, you get it...the list goes on.

And friends ask "Hey do you want to ____" and I'd love to but there is no downtime. In the off chance I do go do something, I am ready for bed by 9 because a 9PM bedtime sounds FANTASTIC. Lately, I've been preparing supper at 9:30 and we haven't even had to irrigate hard this year. Boys started back to school yesterday and I won mom of the year because they had to fend for themselves when it came to supper. They were fine with it but it killed me inside. Hubby and I were in bed by midnight and I was up at 5:30 to make them a good breakfast to redeem myself and head to work.

It just doesn't stop.

You have just the situation that interests me. If I interpret correctly what you wrote, you are not in the crowd that doesn't want any free time. It appears you are super-busy to the point that it even makes you bitter at times that you can't have fun doing some other things you enjoy. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask a few questions.

- why do what you're doing to the degree you do it? Do you feel you have no choice, or at some point, did you choose this lifestyle?

- is there a goal? In other words, is this super busy life leading to a point of accomplishment where you can scale back and enjoy life a little more, or do you see yourself living this way always?

herofan":3cbthbe7 said:
NEFarmwife":3cbthbe7 said:
alisonb":3cbthbe7 said:

It just doesn't stop.

You have just the situation that interests me. If I interpret correctly what you wrote, you are not in the crowd that doesn't want any free time. It appears you are super-busy to the point that it even makes you bitter at times that you can't have fun doing some other things you enjoy. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask a few questions.

- why do what you're doing to the degree you do it? Do you feel you have no choice, or at some point, did you choose this lifestyle?

- is there a goal? In other words, is this super busy life leading to a point of accomplishment where you can scale back and enjoy life a little more, or do you see yourself living this way always?

I did not choose this lifestyle, it chose me. And don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my life. I'd just like it to get less busy. When you feel like things are slowing down, suddenly you're building another feedlot pen or adding onto a calving shed to create more stalls. Work on a farm/ranch is never finished. I COULD bow out of assisting with those things but my husband and I are in this together. Helping him may be the only time, we see one another.

I see us always working hard but not to the extent we do now. Our goal is to one day, quit farming (as operators) and focus on cattle. We'll be empty nesters in 3 years.

I would love to stop for a moment, even a Sunday and go to the shooting range or lake for a little downtime. I'd love to enjoy some jeeping on the river. And we need to start making more of those things a priority for us but right now, we're growing at such a fast rate that we cannot slow down. We have goals, we've set them in motion, now we're just hustling to keep them moving forward.

Nothing sucks worse than needing to do those things but can't..when I got sidelined from kidney failure...it about got me.. Still playing catch up..I can see why folks sell out when they can't do..now each day I get up ""Thank God"""something going to happen...

ALACOWMAN":1vlmbu3g said:
Nothing sucks worse than needing to do those things but can't..............I can see why folks sell out when they can't do.....

That has been crossing my mind more and more lately..selling out, but as I told my better half, 'that'll be the end of me, both physically and mentally'.
I tell myself I 'can be one of them', go fishing, play with woodworking projects in the shop, visit family and such but deep down, I know I can't.
Of course, if the Drs are wrong and my health doesn't improve soon, it may not matter, but either way, I'll have no regrets.

If you farm """successfully"""you work.. No way around it..I've never been able to just tinker at it...leave it and put it on hold ...biggest thing is I Love to do it ..do what you love,, and you'll never work a day...

M-5":1uu24g1d said:
Before social media people worked at a slower pace. Most folks had a whit rock or a piece of whittle in there pocket . Or 10 min here and there they would just sit and ponder.

I agree with that, and I wonder why we allowed our culture to change that? I read one of my grandmother's diaries from the 1950s where she would keep a daily journal of all the chores they did; it seemed almost unreal. I mentioned it to my dad, and he said that people used to actually work, but their lives didn't seem stressful and nobody was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. I think that's the issue I have with modern busyness that I want no part of.

Somehow putting in a lot of hours on one's own farm and getting that whit rock out of your pocket that you mentioned every now and then just doesn't seem as bad as this busyness we do today. After giving it some more thought, it's not the work or being busy that I have an issue with, even though that may be how I've described it, it's the lifestyle where everyone seems like they need to be in 3 places at the same time, and everything they are doing today needed to be done yesterday. I just like to feel like I'm in charge of my own life and not someone else or some other thing. Most of the people I see around me who are so busy seem like they have lost control of their time. If they paused for a few minutes, something would come unhinged in their life.

If my mom needs someone to take her to the doctor, for example, I like to be able to say, "heck yes I can take you." At the same time, I'm not worrying about stuff piling up and feeling like I'm on such a tight schedule that part of my world may come tumbling down around me because I did.

I've been out bush-hogging a few times at midnight or mowing grass at 4:00am. I've also been known to watch a couple episodes of "The Ranch" and turn in at 8:00. Both were my choice, and I like that I have that choice. I certainly realize that some things we do aren't a choice; some things have to be done, but if I felt like 100% of my awake time was out of my control, that is what I would not like.

Latest posts