Found dead cow this morning.

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
Second calf cow, bred back on time, delivered a dandy calf seven days ago. This morning, we found her where she dropped, still warm with no sign of struggle. Her gums were not pale so probably not anaplas. We are totally out of ideas unless she had an embolism. She hasn't been sick because my husband was playing with her and her calf just two days ago. Discouraging after raising her and getting her through first calf and rebred on time to lose her now.

We had 1 do exactly the same just dropped where she was walking, very disappointing as we had already lost 2 other cows to milk fever only a few weeks before

My husband didn't mention it. I'll ask him but I doubt if it occurred to him, he was so upset about it and wrestling a calf too.

if the brisket was real mushy an crunchy it could be blackleg that killed her.an yes i said blackleg as grown cows can get it to an die.if you think it was blackleg talk to your vet about vacc for your cows.we had to vacc our cows for blackleg for 3 or 4 yrs.

Without having a necropsy examination done, you'll never know, and anything any of us here throw out will be shear conjecture.
It's hard to accurately assess mucous membrane color on a dead animal. Gums are not where I'd look, even on a live cow; so...don't discount the possibility of anaplasmosis.

WOW! That stinks. I had a middle age cow die last year her calf was 4 months old, that's bad enough. But this is worse. Sorry for your loss. Like I always say, "As long as 'it' stays in the field and the barn and doesn't come in the house it will be OK".

Sadly, the mystery is solved, it is anaplas just as LuckyP suspected. We lost another cow, this one a four year old. We have been on high alert for symptoms but it's hard to beat this stuff.

Green Creek, where abouts in SW MO are you? We too are in SW MO, near Monett/Aurora/Mt. Vernon area. Just wondering how close you are...

TennesseeTuxedo":taqw1sve said:
Anaplasmosis scares me to death.
if you keep out the rabon fly blocks or tubbs.you dont have to worry aubot anaplaz that much.but if the horse flys are still bad it does make you edgy.ive seen years where we would loose 5 or 6 cows to anaplaz.an thats dr them when they get it.

hooknline":1opgos4l said:
Flies can be managed but the other vector species are what worry me

Hook, correct. Remember what Lucky said in the announcement about anaplas about a month ago. The horsefly is minor, it is the tick vector that is the primary cause.

Latest posts