Found dead cow this morning.

Help Support CattleToday:

hooknline":1wcxwms3 said:
Here go Hook. Fipronil is the active ingredient in Frontline Plus

There are also livestock pour-ons with fipronil in many Latin American countries, mainly for cattle against horn flies and cattle ticks (Boophilus microplus), but not in the US, the EU or Australia. Interestingly, MERIAL introduced such a product in Brazil in the late 1990's, but not elsewhere. Such fipronil pour-ons have withholding periods of up to 100 days!

You can do everything you are supposed and lose them anyway. We fed mineral with extra tetracycline and Rabon and sprayed regularly so it's hit and miss no matter how careful you are.

Unfortunately, most 'medicated' mineral mixes containing chlortetracycline do not provide sufficient CTC to effectively control anaplasmosis in mature cows - even if they consumed the 'target' amount of mineral mix EVERY day.

There is an effective vaccine available in about 20 states; if I'd had a clinical case of anaplasmosis, or if my next door neighbor had affected cattle, I'd be vaccinating - much more reliable than counting on medicated mineral, and cheaper than feeding a medicated feed daily throughout the entire vector season.

I called my vet today. Word I got back from vet via one of his office staff, they do not stock vaccine for anaplas because the vaccine is effective for only one variance of the organism and there is not an adequate report on effectiveness to warrant making a recommendation to use it.

I don't have a dog in the fight, and don't get any 'kickback' from the manufacturer... but if anaplasmosis was knocking on my door, I would be vaccinating against it. It's been used, effectively, over a large enough portion of the country that I'm satisfied that it will do the job. And probably more effectively and inexpensively than trying to get enough CTC in the cows over the course of the entire vector season.

http://www.anaplasmosisvaccine.com/history.html

Although it's currently provisionally licensed as an 'experimental vaccine' in multiple states, my understanding from correspondence with Dr. Luther, is that they're going through the process (again) to get full USDA licensure.

Believe you can purchase directly from the manufacturer. should be able to contact them from contact info on the website.

I sent Dr Luther an e-mail. I was thinking if I can get it, I would vaccinate in early spring say March 2014 so they are ready for the 2014 tick/fly season. BTW, Dr Stansfield's office warned that he believes there is a considerable amount of blood transmission with syringes, dehorners, etc. They also confirmed what you stated, "that ticks are by far the prime vector."

inyati13":1jzig6z7 said:
I sent Dr Luther an e-mail. I was thinking if I can get it, I would vaccinate in early spring say March 2014 so they are ready for the 2014 tick/fly season. BTW, Dr Stansfield's office warned that he believes there is a considerable amount of blood transmission with syringes, dehorners, etc. They also confirmed what you stated, "that ticks are by far the prime vector."
How much is the vaccine?

On the blood transmission part, I guess I ma paranoid but never stick 2 animals with the same needle of go back in the bottle with a dirty needle. I don't know if anything can go up in the syringe or not but always change needles.

tom4018":2fj5bn3i said:
inyati13":2fj5bn3i said:

How much is the vaccine?

On the blood transmission part, I guess I ma paranoid but never stick 2 animals with the same needle of go back in the bottle with a dirty needle. I don't know if anything can go up in the syringe or not but always change needles.

Tom, same here. I am very particular about that. I updated by BQA cert. The video said to change needles after every third cow. How they came up with 3 I have no idea. Made no sense. I change after each cow particularly important if you are going back into the bottle for another dose!!!

I have not heard back yet on price. I will let you know when I find out.

This is the response I got. It did not provide a cost. Not providing the cost gives me pause!!!

We are the only distributers of our Killed Anaplasmosis Vaccine. The KY State Veterinarian and the USDA only allows us to market the vaccine through Licensed Veterinarians. Any KY Licensed Veterinarian can order the vaccine. If you are a Veterinarian you can order it or your Veterinarian can order the vaccine for you. All they have to do is call our 800 line and place an the order: 1-800-308-5242. If you are not a Veterinarian you may need to give your Veterinarian our 800 number as he may have never heard of our Anaplasmosis Vaccine as it has only been approved for use in KY for about a year. We bottle our vaccine in 10 and 50 Dose Vials, so our minimum order is 10 Doses and we can fill any order in multiples of 10. Thank you for your interest in our vaccine and if you have other questions I would be pleased to try to answer them either by phone or E-mail. Dr. D. Gene Luther

haven't talked with Dr.Luther in a year or more, but I think it was about $6/dose at that time.. so, $12 bucks for the two initial doses and half that every year thereafter. Cheaper than losing cows, probably less expensive than feeding CTC.

Again, iatrogenic transmission - due to use of needles on multiple animals - is a concern. KSU researchers showed that 60% of the time, they could transmit the organism to the next animal in the chute if they used the same needle that had previously been stuck into an infected animal.

Lucky_P":35wo0fsc said:
haven't talked with Dr.Luther in a year or more, but I think it was about $6/dose at that time.. so, $12 bucks for the two initial doses and half that every year thereafter. Cheaper than losing cows, probably less expensive than feeding CTC.

Again, iatrogenic transmission - due to use of needles on multiple animals - is a concern. KSU researchers showed that 60% of the time, they could transmit the organism to the next animal in the chute if they used the same needle that had previously been stuck into an infected animal.
I got a second response to some specific questions. BTW, Lucky, I agree about feeding the CTC. I am not a big fan of excessive use of antibiotics (humans or animals). Cost does not deter me from protecting my animals if I have a choice. Here is Dr. Luther's response:

Our vaccine is made with the same strain of Anaplasma marginale and in the same procedure as Mallinckrodt's "PLAZVAX" (a USDA Licensed Anaplasmosis Vaccine) was made. We licensed the vaccine to Mallinckrodt and helped them take it through the USDA Licensing Process. We have also done Efficacy Studies on our vaccine but you can not submit that data to the USDA until you have a USDA Licensed Facility to make the vaccine. We are currently working on building such a facility so we can take the vaccine through the licensing process. Animals that received the vaccine in our recommended procedure have been well protected. I can think of two cows that were supposed to have been vaccinated properly that have died of Anaplasmosis. Both of these animals were at lease 10 years of age or older. Sometimes older animals have compromised immune systems and do not respond to vaccines. I also seriously doubt that any vaccine is 100% protective on all animals. We wholesale the vaccine to Licensed Veterinarians for $5.50 per dose and they mark-up the vaccine so I do not know what your cost per dose would be. We ship our vaccine via USPS Priority mail flat rate which will have a minimum charge of $5.65 per shipment. An order of about 15 Ten dose vials will cost about the same $5.65. Larger orders cost more depending on the weight of the shipment. The Veterinarian will add his costs of vaccine and shipment together plus his mark-up to determine your cost per dose. If you have other questions I would pleased to try to answer them. Dr. D. Gene Luther