Ford tractor fuel tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

Cabo

Reaction score
I have a 5900 Ford with a fuel leak in the tank area and I have noticed that a lot of other Fords have the same problem. Does anyone know if this is maybe something as simple as a cracked rubber hose or the tank it'self?

Cabo":21wvs0qy said:
I have a 5900 Ford with a fuel leak in the tank area and I have noticed that a lot of other Fords have the same problem. Does anyone know if this is maybe something as simple as a cracked rubber hose or the tank it'self?

There is a return line that goes into the tank just below the fuel tank cap. Sometimes it will come off. Also the tanks are prone to rust out in the bottom. Can you be more specific as to where in the area is the tank leaking. Such as in the bottom. Up around the sides or where. Sometimes a new tank is the only option in order to fix this. The tank is made in two halves and and seam welded together. Could be seperated. Could also ba leaking around the place the fuel level sender attaches. Also could be the valve where the fuel line attaches.

Cabo":3kyuzcsz said:
since you have a 5900 ford im assumming it only has 1 tank.so id be thinking the leaking is caused from a cracked fual line.look at your tank an see if you cant trace the leak.does it happen when you fill the tank or crank the tractor.the reason i ask that is if the tank is leaking.you can smell diesel when you crank it.our 7700 has a leak just like that.but it also has a top an a bottom fuel tank.i know it has a line leaking on it.but it only seems to leak when the top tank is full.an stops when it pulls fuel from the bottom tank.

Not sure about the models, but some have a fuel return line for the excess fuel that isn;t being used by the engine. The ones I've seen have been cheap plastic tubing that drys out and cracks causing them to leak. If that's the problem, replace it with a piece of rubber fuel line hose and it'll never leak again.

dun

The return line hurley mentioned is a common leak. Also the valve at the bottom of the tank will leak through the packing, put in a new valve if that's the case.

cfpinz

Thanks for the replys. It is leaking somewhere above the bottom of the hood sides and only when it is running, maybe I'm lucky enough that it is only the return hose. Thanks again.

Latest posts