Ford or Dodge diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

NamVet_Farmer44":2adjigwh said:
I put a TS Performance 6 Position Flip Chip on my '03 7.3L and I would have rather never done it, I probably would like it a little more if I was younger though, too much smoke for me...

This is one of the biggest problems with many of the chip manufacturers in the business. They seem to think that dumping fuel into the cylinders is the best way to make power. What they can't seem to fathom is that all they're doing is quenching the fire and _killing_ power, not making more.

An ideally tuned truck will let out a light puff of smoke when you first get into it, then clean up as the turbo begins to spool up. Reputable chips, like the Edge, utilize the manifold pressure as one of the variables in determining how much fuel to send out. Since the turbo lags a bit, you're going to get a slight puff as the initial heavy shot comes in, but once the MAP moves, the chip should read the manifold pressure and (more important) delta manifold pressure to determine future fueling.

Again, babbling about TST, but they have an 'aggression' setting, in addition to an overall fueling setting. You could program how heavy a shot was sent at low boost. In this way, you could easily tune for altitude and differences in turbochargers. Edge did put aggression settings in their Comp box for the Dodge, however I'm unsure if they put any kind of aggression setting on the Juice for the 6.0L.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":3qyg95e3 said:
NamVet_Farmer44":3qyg95e3 said:
I put a TS Performance 6 Position Flip Chip on my '03 7.3L and I would have rather never done it, I probably would like it a little more if I was younger though, too much smoke for me...

This is one of the biggest problems with many of the chip manufacturers in the business. They seem to think that dumping fuel into the cylinders is the best way to make power. What they can't seem to fathom is that all they're doing is quenching the fire and _killing_ power, not making more.

An ideally tuned truck will let out a light puff of smoke when you first get into it, then clean up as the turbo begins to spool up. Reputable chips, like the Edge, utilize the manifold pressure as one of the variables in determining how much fuel to send out. Since the turbo lags a bit, you're going to get a slight puff as the initial heavy shot comes in, but once the MAP moves, the chip should read the manifold pressure and (more important) delta manifold pressure to determine future fueling.

Again, babbling about TST, but they have an 'aggression' setting, in addition to an overall fueling setting. You could program how heavy a shot was sent at low boost. In this way, you could easily tune for altitude and differences in turbochargers. Edge did put aggression settings in their Comp box for the Dodge, however I'm unsure if they put any kind of aggression setting on the Juice for the 6.0L.

Rod

I wish mine didn't have all the smoke, even has a "stock" mode, and that setting still makes it smoke like a December chimney

I like the smoke, but then again, I'm young so I can't see it from your perspective.

NamVet_Farmer44":1lpma38a said:
I wish mine didn't have all the smoke, even has a "stock" mode, and that setting still makes it smoke like a December chimney

To be blunt, I found TS products to be junk and refused to sell them, even when attractive purchasing offers were made.

As far as the stock setting smoking like mad, have you tried putting the stock chip back in to see what happens? It may be that you've damaged the turbo, or you simply have an intercooler boot coming off. One of the first things that any truck with performance add-ons should have is a pyrometer and a boost gauge. Once you've boosted power, you need more than the stock instruments to monitor the engine.

Cowboy, I hear what you say about smoke. I r supposedly all growed up now, but I still like to see that black coal from time to time. A couple things to keep in mind though:

1) The objective of performance add-ons is performance. Excessive black smoke is actually killing performance, not enhancing it.

2) With the above in mind, excessive smoke means you're not getting your monies worth.

3) The next greenie that sees smoke rolling out of your truck may be the greenie to call their elected representative and complain about those stinkin' diesel trucks. That hurts us all, stocker or not. The US (and by extension Canada, since we share your ECM/PCM programs) has went way overboard on soot control. This is why modern diesels get worse fuel economy than their predecessors. Multiple injection events are great for power, however soot regulations have meant that the meat of the injection event must come post-TDC. We're not getting all our bang for our buck out of a drop of diesel fuel anymore, and the more smokey trucks on the road, the worse its going to get for us.

Rod

Latest posts