Ford or Dodge diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man":1igxkk6a said:
Any one got info on the cat conversion for a ford? Never heard of this and would like to learn more.

Quite a few companies sell cat-delete or "off-road" pipes, if that's what you're asking.

cfpinz

hillbilly beef man":30o8hd3z said:
Someone mentioned putting a Caterpillar engine in a Ford truck. I was wondering how this was done.

Now that's a new one on me. I've seen a few cummins transplants but never a kitty-kat. Even seen a 2 stroke Detroit in a F250, sounded like a hornets' nest going down the road. :lol:

cfpinz

I'm also trying to decide on a Dodge or a Ford. :roll: I've had both, and still have a one ton (2004) Dodge that is a good truck, except for the u-joints that can't be greased, and need to be replaced every 20 - 25K miles. The interior has changed a lot in the past few years.. like mentioned, the Ford is really the all out winner for operator comfort and "chickiness".

The 3/4 ton I traded in on the Toyota was a good enough truck, but the Dodge would out pull it. And I didn't really like the automatic tranny in the Ford. Of course it's hard to get anything else in either one now.

I'm going to base my decision on the best deal at this point!

TheBullLady":3bftvoo1 said:
except for the u-joints that can't be greased, and need to be replaced every 20 - 25K miles.

Even if you're still under warranty, do yourself a favor and buy some aftermarket U-joints. I _think_ its Moog that builds a heavier, greasable U-joint for the Dodge. The Moog part I'm unsure of, but I do know that heavier, greasable joints exist.

Rod

DAWGONECATTLEMAN":32rbcd0u said:
I own a 2004 ford 350 with the 6.0 straight shift. could not be more dissapointed in an engine. the cummings diesel is definitley a better motor. but the rest of a dodge leaves something to be desired. if it were possible the best truck that could be built would be a ford frame, an allison transmission(chevy), and a cummings diesel(dodge). just my opinion.

I would be curious to know what about the 6 liter disappoints you? I have yet to talk to one person in person that doesn't love their 6 liter.

I have a friend that just went through the buy Chevy, Dodge, or Ford deal. I stayed completely neutral on the subject and she bought the Ford on her own after talking, looking, looking, talking, and more looking. I won't say what she said about the other two as that would be hearsay. :lol:

She and her husband sold their Chevy diesel to buy the Ford.

i too traded my 2003 chevy silverado 2500 for my ford 350 flat bed dually. big mistake. the 6 liter ford diesel power joke is the weakest truck we have ever had on our farm. also when slowing down going into a curve or coming up to a stop when you just let off the gas and coast, once your speed gets to slow the truck starts jumping until you down shift. my brother also has a 2004 6 liter diesel and its the same story. even the die hard ford fanatics around here have nothing good to say about the 6.0 liter

The 6.0litre weak. Id say the Duramax is weak compared to the 6.0 . Ive driven both an I like the 6.0 better as far as power is concerned. Werakest truck on youfarm. Man theres something wrongg with your truck. What are you comparing it too? The Cummins is definitly a better motor. Hmmm in what ways. People say Cummins an everybody goes OOOh an awe. They dont excite me a bit.

hillbilly beef man":2afdq8xj said:
Someone mentioned putting a Caterpillar engine in a Ford truck. I was wondering how this was done.
That was me. I've only seen two of them and only talked to one owner about 4-5 years ago. I didn't think to ask what series motor it was but it was about the size of the Cummins and was backed up with a five speed tranny. It could have been a custom job but if it was ithey did aheck of a job. It looked like it belonged there. Man just said a shop in Ft Worth installed it.Z

DAWGONECATTLEMAN":1a1ln2ge said:
i too traded my 2003 chevy silverado 2500 for my ford 350 flat bed dually. big mistake. the 6 liter ford diesel power joke is the weakest truck we have ever had on our farm. also when slowing down going into a curve or coming up to a stop when you just let off the gas and coast, once your speed gets to slow the truck starts jumping until you down shift. my brother also has a 2004 6 liter diesel and its the same story. even the die hard ford fanatics around here have nothing good to say about the 6.0 liter

Sounds like someone might be doing some fishing here.

Weak? That's funny. I have pulled the gooseneck to market and get there and some folks behind me say "dang you run that truck hard, I couldn't keep up". I say, "hard?, I was just driving normal, just don't have no problems pulling a load".

Sounds like you and your brother need to find a GOOD dealership that knows these trucks. Your problem can be fixed.

this is just my experience with the 6.0 liter. i can tell you the very first truck that my great grandad ever bought. the first one on our farm. all Fords except two. i owned a 2003 chevy and my granddad owned one chevy. so i'm not just comparing the new 6.0 liters to the chevy's or the dodges but to our past ford trucks. an we are very dissapointed in them. the buzz word around these parts is power joke. just my opinion

DAWGONECATTLEMAN":jsfzzhvs said:
this is just my experience with the 6.0 liter. i can tell you the very first truck that my great grandad ever bought. the first one on our farm. all Fords except two. i owned a 2003 chevy and my granddad owned one chevy. so i'm not just comparing the new 6.0 liters to the chevy's or the dodges but to our past ford trucks. an we are very dissapointed in them. the buzz word around these parts is power joke. just my opinion

I know a fair number of old time Ford hands, and they echo the same comments. It may be our fuel quality up here, or the level of service they get from their dealers, but I have yet to have one Ford owner who liked their 6.0. I've heard more times than I can count 'I wish I'd kept my 7.3L'. It may not be a case of the 6.0L being horrible (although, my local Ford dealer still replaces a pile of injectors), but rather the 6.0L being horrible when you compare it to what it replaced. I think the 5.9L Common Rail is horrible too, but only in comparison to the P7100 and VP44 5.9Ls that it replaced.

Rod

I find all these folks who hate their 6 liter Fords quite interesting. Ford on an annual basis sells more diesel powered pickups than Chevy and Dodge combined. Humm, wonder why all these folks who hate their 6 liter Fords keep buying them?

For what it worth I have both the 7.3 and 6 liter.

THE PERFECT TRUCK...iMO

A Chevy body and interior on a Ford frame and suspension with a Dodge drive train. Maybe jack up the seats a little and bring back wing windows and rain gutters.Z

I've got a 99 Dodge ex-cab dually with a 24 valve Cummins and 5 speed manual trany that I realy like exept for the seat. I've been thinking about trading it in but for me it's between the Dodge and Chevy. I use two mechanics and they both say if it wasn't for Powerstrokers they'd go broke.
The new Chevy Duramax has 360 hp and 650 torque and a new 6 speed Allison automatic trany. 650 torque is more than Dodge or Ford. They are expecting the 2008 Fords to have a twin-turbo 6.4 that puts out around 650 torque.
I feel they all have enough power now days. I just want one with a nice seat for those long hauls, that's the main reason I'm leaning towards Chevy right now.

Chevies are way to low to the ground to go where i go with my superduty. Id be high centered all day. If you have running boards on they will be destroyed if you go off road. Sorry its just the way I see it. I think if GM would put a solid front axle an get some descent ground clearance a lot more people would be interested in them. But theres enough demand from the urban people they could care less about ground clearance. Im not bashing GM its just I dont like these 2 features about them. FLA Boy is right Ford still owns the diesel market. Ford guys are the most loyal truck buyers out there especially on the superduty side. If you have one an switch brands people are not happy. As far as build quality I still Ford has the best built truck out there. You know I have had my superduty for over 3 years now an have yet to have squeak or rattle in the cab. Thats pretty impressive in my book. Just my 2 cents. Flame away guys. Ford has sold over close to two million powerstrokes since 94 when they first came out. Ford an Dodge combined match those numbers or come close. The odds are any mechanic will see more powerstrokes because there are so many more off them out there so that statement means nothing.

I have to justify the 6.0L a little bit, fellar down the road just got an 06' F-350 6.0L and I saw him hauling a full 34' stock trailer over the mountain without a problem earlier today

Ned Jr.":2vmt7ryb said:
I've got a 99 Dodge ex-cab dually with a 24 valve Cummins and 5 speed manual trany that I realy like exept for the seat. I've been thinking about trading it in but for me it's between the Dodge and Chevy. I use two mechanics and they both say if it wasn't for Powerstrokers they'd go broke.
The new Chevy Duramax has 360 hp and 650 torque and a new 6 speed Allison automatic trany. 650 torque is more than Dodge or Ford. They are expecting the 2008 Fords to have a twin-turbo 6.4 that puts out around 650 torque.
I feel they all have enough power now days. I just want one with a nice seat for those long hauls, that's the main reason I'm leaning towards Chevy right now.

Funny, isn't it? My strongest objection to chevy is their seat. Just does not fit me. Ford's bench seat with lumbar support is their best, imo. Fords Captains chairs could be better. But it is really about what fits your butt. :lol: And your spine and torso and shoulders.

Latest posts