Ford or Dodge diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

Ned Jr.":3ok9dlob said:
I've got a 99 Dodge ex-cab dually with a 24 valve Cummins and 5 speed manual trany that I realy like exept for the seat. I've been thinking about trading it in but for me it's between the Dodge and Chevy. I use two mechanics and they both say if it wasn't for Powerstrokers they'd go broke.
The new Chevy Duramax has 360 hp and 650 torque and a new 6 speed Allison automatic trany. 650 torque is more than Dodge or Ford. They are expecting the 2008 Fords to have a twin-turbo 6.4 that puts out around 650 torque.
I feel they all have enough power now days. I just want one with a nice seat for those long hauls, that's the main reason I'm leaning towards Chevy right now.
That's funny Ned. One of the things I like about our Dodge is the seats.Those power seats seem to adjust real well. I always had my doubts about Chrysler products, until I owned one. I still feel their advantage of having Cummins power put them back on the map.

Crowderfarms":lppx52z3 said:
Ned Jr.":lppx52z3 said:
I've got a 99 Dodge ex-cab dually with a 24 valve Cummins and 5 speed manual trany that I realy like exept for the seat. I've been thinking about trading it in but for me it's between the Dodge and Chevy. I use two mechanics and they both say if it wasn't for Powerstrokers they'd go broke.
The new Chevy Duramax has 360 hp and 650 torque and a new 6 speed Allison automatic trany. 650 torque is more than Dodge or Ford. They are expecting the 2008 Fords to have a twin-turbo 6.4 that puts out around 650 torque.
I feel they all have enough power now days. I just want one with a nice seat for those long hauls, that's the main reason I'm leaning towards Chevy right now.
That's funny Ned. One of the things I like about our Dodge is the seats.Those power seats seem to adjust real well. I always had my doubts about Chrysler products, until I owned one. I still feel their advantage of having Cummins power put them back on the map.
My Dodge has manual seats, that's probably alot of my problem. You can't get many positions with maual seats. The curve in the seat hits me in the middle of my back instead of lower like lumbar support should be.
I put the Edge module in my Dodge and it will walk the dog. It amazes me how well it pulls a load over our mountain passes. I got an exhaust brake to help on the way down the passes and it helps quite alot too.

I've had 2 ford 7.3 diesel's and the only complaints I've had are the fuel mileage and off the line speed, especially on an incline. I have been able to pull everything I've hooked to it with no problem and I have out-pulled my Dad's dodge, although it is a auto and mine is manual. I've got a tuner but I rarely drive the truck anymore without a load so I haven't even programmed it.

I think it really just comes down to a matter or personal preference.

flaboy-":3ugqrrwb said:
I find all these folks who hate their 6 liter Fords quite interesting. Ford on an annual basis sells more diesel powered pickups than Chevy and Dodge combined. Humm, wonder why all these folks who hate their 6 liter Fords keep buying them?

For what it worth I have both the 7.3 and 6 liter.

The raw numbers don't tell the complete story though Flaboy. The Ford F-Series sales numbers that you read on their website also include F450/550 trucks in which Dodge has no competing product in North America. Add in numbers from Freightliner for the FL50 series, and you have a different picture.

Also, you need to look at the changes in sales volume. Since the introduction of the 6.0L, and only since that introduction, F-series diesel powered trucks have lost approximately 15% of their market share. Chevy has remained about level, while Dodge has picked up market share in the light truck diesel market. I don't have the 2006 numbers yet, since the year isn't up, but thus far, Ford has lost even more diesel market share.

Actually if you take the raw International Powerstroke sales numbers and compare them to Cummins 5.9L sales numbers, the Powerstroke is pretty dismal. Its not a fair comparison I realize, since the 5.9 Cummins is in so many markets, but if the 6.0L was really an incredible engine, they should have taken away sales from 5.9 Cummins which competes in many of the same market categories. Heck, until the introduction of the VP44 5.9L Cummins, 7.3L Powerstrokes were gaining market share. After the 6.0L introduction, which co-incided with the release of the ISBe, Cummins regained ground, and then surpassed their previous market share.

Now that International has gotten smart and went with the Siemens injection system (which IMHO is superior to the Bosch system in many ways), we may see a reversal again. I really wish I'd been a fly on the wall at International when the decision was made to stick with those rediculous hydraulic injectors. Virtually everyone in the industry expected the 6.0L to come out with that Siemens injection system. Some bean counter somewhere put a stop to it I spose....

Just my 2 canuck cents, for whatever they're worth.

Rod

Rod where do you get these sales numbers percentages for diesel trucks. Any links or websites I can check out. Most Ford HD trucks you see on the road are powerstrokes. Just checking the dealers inventory off new6.0 powerstroke trucks. It looks like they are hard to find if not impossible. If you want a black truck an white truck or a 2wd those are available but the rest is take what they have. I know off several people around me that drive Ford trucks an have traded in for another Ford truck. Even previous 6.0 l guys have traded for another. Ford has been great about putting out trucks that people want. Dodge has been pretty pathetic in that regard. Up until this year they had no crewcab. I could never figure out this reasonong. Lots off lost sales Im sure an Rod is right no bigger trucks to compete. Ford had no competition from GM in the diesel market for 7 years. The 6.5 was no match for the 7.3 powerstroke. So GM comes out with the Duramax an your bound to lose market share when your competition finally has something to compete with it.

Agboy, my numbers all come from Edmunds.com, a company specifically geared towards tracking sales figures of all things automotive. I'm not sure if the 2005 numbers I was using is posted or not, as I simply asked for the sales figures. They don't normally track things like diesel engine sales, however I have a good friend who works for them and he was able to secure the sales numbers from International. The Cummins numbers are from Cummins own website and verified for me by a contact within Cummins.

As far as your comment with regards to the Duramax diesel. The D-max came out long before the 6.0L ever hit ground, and did not slow sales of the 7.3L at all. Indeed, 7.3L Ford sales INCREASED after the introduction of the Duramax. Bear in mind though that this increase in sales occured because diesel fuel prices were not climbing as high as gasoline prices in 1999. Indeed sales of all gas engined pickups were dropping in those years. When diesel prices began climbing, it put pressure on diesel truck sales, however it wasn't until 2003 when Ford diesel sales began to drop, while Chevy and Dodge consistently gained (Chevy gained a paltry .5% market share, Dodge gained 4.7%, Ford lost 4.3%). Each year since 2003, Chevy and Dodge diesel sales have increased, even in the face of high diesel fuel prices, while Ford was the only company to decline.

Please don't get me wrong, I like Ford trucks. I own a 93 myself. But I don't let brand loyalty interfere with my buying decisions. 6.0L Powerstroke reliability has been pathetic, especially when you compare it against the 7.3L it replaced and even more pathetic when you compare it against the Cummins ISB. I certainly hope the new engine from Ford works well, because I like the looks of the new truck. Dodge's styling has gotten stale, and the $5 seats they put in $50,000 pickup trucks ticks me off, so I'm seriously considering a SuperDuty as my next pickup truck.

Rod

ok.. another opinion...
As far as pulling power.. I too like the Chevrolet diesel engines.. I have a 1 ton 2001 diesel with over 300K on it..and still pulling very strong!
And as far as a typical get around farm truck.. one with pulling power as well.. for my smaller loads.. I have a 99 Ford 4x4 5.4 liter .. a great truck...

I haven't read what others wrote -- but I can tell you -- stay away from the 2002 to 2004 6.9 Ford diesel trucks if you're buying used -- if your buying new -- we have 06' F350 diesel dually and love it. The thing is a power house -- traded our 2000 Dodge diesel in for the Ford.

If you buy used Dodge diesel --look for the manufacturer sticker -- if if were put together in Mexico, walk away from it. Made in the US your ok. Seriously. Defects in the ones made in Mexico proven by many friends and acquaintances.

The new Dodge is coming out with heavier axles - but no plan to change the rears.

At present the front & rear axles of a Ford are heavier.

Coolpop, I'm not sure where your information comes from, but its a little off.

1) Ford never had a 6.9L diesel in 2002 - 2004

2) Failure rates between Mexican and US Dodge trucks are identical these days. Indeed, heavy duty Dodge's are all built in Mexico. Out of 23 trucks, we've owned 70% Mexican and never had manufacturing issues with any of them. Except one that shipped with a defective rear tail shaft (New Venture transmission, built in the USA). No bash against the US here guys, but you're just as likely to get a failure no matter where the truck is assembled.

3) Dodge just switched to American Axle in 2003. Very unlikely they'll switch again anytime soon. If Dodge switches, it'll be back to the hybrid Dana 70/80.

4) The Ford front and rear diff are identical to the current Dodge in torque handling capacity.

Rod

sorry typo error on the 6.0 vs 6.9 - we've owned Ford & Dodge diesels for over 10 yrs. traded a 7.3L for the new 6.0

Ford diesels are like Harleys. There are those who drive them and then there are those who wish they did. :lol:

I really like Ford trucks better than Dodge, my husband was a Dodge fan only because of the cummins diesel. Recently convinced him to sell/trade the 2 dodge laramie diesels we had for 2 F350 XLT dually diesels. Now that we have the F350's he loves 'em. We had a 95 F350 XLT with the 7.3L, had been a work truck since the day it was made. We plow snow - pull equipment, etc.

Really like the tow command that Ford trucks have now.

flaboy-":fm53c45s said:
Ford diesels are like Harleys. There are those who drive them and then there are those who wish they did. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

kjones":13tou244 said:
Exactly. Fords don't need to be pimped up to look good ;-)

You got that right. Putting all that stuff on a Dodge or a GM product is kinda like puttin a $500 saddle on a $50 horse.

cfpinz

No matter what brand the thing to remember is, you can polish a turd, but in the end all you end up with is a shiny turd. :D

Can you chip the 6.0, in the Ford's? Has anyone used the EDGE performance kits in your pickups? I saw the EDGE kits on TRUCKS one day and it looked pretty neat but I don't know the drawbacks.

have a cold one

lazy ace

Lazy, when I was in business, I rated the Edge stuff second only to TST Products. Their programs are solid, with good bottom side gains, and the advertised gains are what you will actually see, versus some guys like Banks whose power gains are generally inflated and whose bottom side gains are mediocre at best.

The only issue I had with Edge products was their reliability. They switched to Chinese manufacture (most of the performance boxes are Chinese manufactured though, with TST being a notable exception). However, this was 2 years ago, and they may have made strides towards improving (they were improving while I was still putting things together). On the plus side, there was never an issue with replacement, even on out of warranty product.

As a side note, to talk to someone who I feel is the among the best in the business, contact Rip at http://www.sourceautomotive.biz . Rip was my primary competition, and in the Northwest area, I simply couldn't win customers away from him. He's honest, and an old fashioned businessman who still feels that customer satisfaction is the top of the list. He's primarily a Dodge performance man, but is versed with Ford and Chevy as well. Most importantly, he understands how the systems on these trucks work and how everything links together. He'll give you the straight skinny, or point you to someone who will.

Should you call Rip, ask him if TST is still working on their 6.0L product. They started on it back in 2002, but had to shelve it to begin production of the common rail Dodge product. If TST is close, I'd recommend waiting for it.

Rod

lazy ace":12c71p7b said:
Can you chip the 6.0, in the Ford's? Has anyone used the EDGE performance kits in your pickups? I saw the EDGE kits on TRUCKS one day and it looked pretty neat but I don't know the drawbacks.

have a cold one

lazy ace

I put a TS Performance 6 Position Flip Chip on my '03 7.3L and I would have rather never done it, I probably would like it a little more if I was younger though, too much smoke for me...My grandson thought it'd be funny to put smoke stacks on my truck last year on April Fool's Day...I think the stacks actually kept a few people from giving me the finger at stoplights as it blew the smoke up in the air instead of straight at their vehicles...I still prefer my non-chipped Powerstrokes more though

Latest posts