Ford 8n help

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I just aquired a 1949 8n from my MIL. She knows nothing about it, neither do I. First off, how to tell if its 12v or 6v. It has an automotive style alternator hanging off the side running off a belt.
Second, assuming its 12v, I tried to jump it. Just got click from the solenoid. Tried a known good batter, and same thing.It last ran a year ago, so it may be locked up or it may be the starter. These arent reverse polarity are they????
Like I said, I know nothing about these 8N's. It doesnt have a bucket, and Ive read they dont do well with buckets either, So Im thinking of just getting it in running condition and getting rid of it.
Thanks

hooknline":26msykw1 said:
I just aquired a 1949 8n from my MIL. She knows nothing about it, neither do I. First off, how to tell if its 12v or 6v. It has an automotive style alternator hanging off the side running off a belt.
Second, assuming its 12v, I tried to jump it. Just got click from the solenoid. Tried a known good batter, and same thing.It last ran a year ago, so it may be locked up or it may be the starter. These arent reverse polarity are they????
Like I said, I know nothing about these 8N's. It doesnt have a bucket, and Ive read they dont do well with buckets either, So Im thinking of just getting it in running condition and getting rid of it.
Thanks
If you get it started you would be surprised at how many newby weeke-nd farmers will pay rediculous money for it.

Dun is right they can bring pretty decent money

when you tried to jump it you may of locked the starter drive into the flywheel because of low voltage either loosen the starter or there should be a hole in the case where you can insert a big screwdriver or pry bar and turn the flywheel and if the starter drive is engaged it should release it or you can put a socket on the bolt on the front end of crankshaft and see if you can get the engine to turn a little

goodluck

Ill try both ideas. Thanks.
Anyone know how to tell if its 12v or if its a reverse polarity?

Well, some good news. Pulled the starter, tore it down and cleaned it bar. I was able to bar the flywheel over easy. Hooked the starter to a set of jumper cables and it spun right over. Reinstalled it, and ran direct to starter again. Spun the engine over pretty good, but no fire. So, looks like Im going to the ignition and fuel system next. It needs a new positive cable for sure, and probably a new starter solenoid, but any old starter solenoid should do. Probably points and rotor as well.
Thanks for the advice!

Those 8n and 9n's were a pretty good tractor in their time.
But in this day and time there not much more than a glorified lawnmower. :lol: :lol:

Cal

and not even a good lawn mower at that. This one is in pretty good shape, original sheet metal without any dings or rust...etc
I need a tractor with a bucket though, otherwise they are useless to me.

That 8n is a pretty good rake tractor if u use the old style bar rakes! And the first place I would go is 2 the distributor its on the very front of the block behind the fan I have had lots of troulble with that drawing moister and then the settling bowl and make sure the gas is turned on I know my rake had forgot to turn the gas back on and it wouldnt run also if the battery is dead it will not run at all

Take off the distributer cap, clean the rotor, add a bit of silicone or grease under the rotor. Clean the distributer cap ends that attach to the spark plug wires.
Basically the rotor gets hot and when you shut the engine off and goes wacky. ...Yes i am a female...but i own and and have to wait for hubby to come and fix the tractor when lunch ends during haying. However sometimes hubby does not get there to quick, and i have to do what i see them do all the time.
Works every time

When hubby gets off the phone, I'll get the right info from him

Oh yeah, need to replace a resistor because things get hot. We have yet to replace the resistor.

Before tearing into anything the first thing I do is see if I even have a spark at the plugs. If it ran before, the points should be adjusted correctly. Unless there is no spark why diddle with something that is probably right.

first thing is for me to get it to turn over without having to go direct to starter. Thats gotta be the switch, solenoid or wires...probably wires. Then I can check for spark

hooknline":11q9wntn said:
first thing is for me to get it to turn over without having to go direct to starter. Thats gotta be the switch, solenoid or wires...probably wires. Then I can check for spark
A simple tester will tell you wither you are getting power to the solenoid. If you are then jump across the solenoid. If you starter works then replace it. If it still does not work check the wire from the solenoid to the starter for continuity.
After sitting for a good deal of time You will most likely have to file the points. A fingernail file or sandpaper will work. You do not have to take them out to do this. I would also clean the contact points in the distributor cap and on the rotor.
They are pretty basic. Fuel, fire, air, compression and timing.

Hey I may be a female, but come on here, this i know. I have been using this tractor everyday in the summer raking hay for 16 years. Don't forget the grease or silicone in the cap next to the rotor.
Hubby has replaced everything electrical. Replaced the spark plug wires, new spark plugs...except the resistor. New coil, cleaned the starter, new battery wires, cant remember if the tractor has points or not... Done the fuel lines, cleaned the fuel tank, carb kit, even something to do with the starter and linining it up right. Something with a plate, a flat head screw driver..or nail, a gear after the starter, and moving the gear. This part has me stumped.
In the end, every year, several times a year during haying, at least once a week, sometimes 2x a week, it comes down to polishing the rotor and the cap points.

Im going to check everything, then unload it. Im taking a quick break from spreading half a truckload of hardpan by HAND...I really need a bucket. I did use the kubota bx2200 and a cart to move it around from the pile to the holes I needed to fill in the road, but this is for the birds

hooknline":27ffrocy said:
Im going to check everything, then unload it. Im taking a quick break from spreading half a truckload of hardpan by HAND...I really need a bucket. I did use the kubota bx2200 and a cart to move it around from the pile to the holes I needed to fill in the road, but this is for the birds
Sure glad to here you say that. You just moved up the smart list by a bunch. :nod:

Go to www.ytmag.com they will get you straitened around. Ford 8N's are great little tractors for homesteaders my brothers are currently working picked one up for $100 and have since gotten it into running condition. It is really great and holds it own on the homestead. I have a friend has a Ford Workmaster that is about the same year and size as your tractor. It had a loader and we used it to move one thousand pound logs with no problem.

hooknline":2uepj7h2 said:
Thanks

Latest posts