Ford 6.0

Help Support CattleToday:

Get them "bulletproofed" or you will be in the shop a fair amount with it. Injectors, egr, and new head studs are the big issues that I know of with them. On a positive note they do get pretty decent fuel mileage.

The majority of people have had good luck with them. Some not so much, and they are the ones you hear about. You don't complain when something is working good. I can probably name 10 around here and 2 of them have been problematic, and both had the HP fuel/re-calibrated up with a programmer.

The later years were a lot better. Ford made a ton of changes between 03 and 07. 05, 06, and 07 being the best years. Those were actually pretty good trucks, but their reputation was already tarnished.

I would suggest watching everything about 6.0s on the Powerstrokehelp YouTube channel.

I'd rather have a stock truck, than one that has been bulletproofed by someone else with no receipts, "bulletproofed" can mean 500 dollars worth of Ebay parts and a tune, or actually doing it right for several thousand.

Do you know if it is stock? or has is had a programmer/tuner?
I put 300K miles on my 04 6.0, no turner or "bulletproofing".

jltrent said:
The majority of people have had good luck with them. Some not so much, and they are the ones you hear about. You don't complain when something is working good. I can probably name 10 around here and 2 of them have been problematic, and both had the HP fuel/re-calibrated up with a programmer.

Almost word for word what my local diesel guru said. The ones with problems are the ones with aftermarket crap.
Philip-TX said:
Do you know if it is stock? or has is had a programmer/tuner?
I put 300K miles on my 04 6.0, no turner or "bulletproofing".

Actually know the owner. A full-time rancher who used it as a daily driver.
Hauled cattle some. But very little hard work.

From what I read , the most common problems complained about are due to a lack of proper pm.

I bought one with 15K on it, spent 5500.00 getting everything done right. It has 260K on it now, had zero problems except for a fuel pump at 200K

Latest posts