Ford 4630 power steering

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":1u8r8l16 said:
Well, I took the pump apart as far as I felt qualified to do and didn't find anything wrong. Decided to put it back together so I could move the tractor out of the way and unhook the disc mower. It now works 90%. I have no idea what I did. Gonna mow 18 acres of hay and then will work on it more. Thanks greybeard and chevytaHOE for all the good advice. Maybe jltrent learned something. Even if I did I would forget it by next time. But I'm gonna print off most of this and add it to the manual.

I think I am more confuse now than before your description.....now you are saying it is the pump? I have replaced the pump on my 3600 before and MF285 as that is usually what goes, but when they went on me I could barely turn the steering wheel. Hope you got it fixed and Kathy had a good birthday party.... Did you take her to a steak House?

Good to hear it's fixed
The servo assembly is pretty rugged, failures are rare, leaks less so.

I had a similar weird issue with my IH684 and the hydraulic system.. changed the filter and it wouldn't prime.. seems that the wet oil filter with only air behind it can't draw enough suction to get the hydraulic oil through it or something.. I ended up drilling a hole in the filter housing and putting a bleeder there,pumped oil in and it's worked fine since.

Meanwhile on my MF165 the steering pump shaft seal leaks oil into the engine, and it also pizzes oil out the side.. gonna have to fiddle with that thing but not this year.

jltrent":kdkrt28b said:
kenny thomas":kdkrt28b said:
Well, I took the pump apart as far as I felt qualified to do and didn't find anything wrong. Decided to put it back together so I could move the tractor out of the way and unhook the disc mower. It now works 90%. I have no idea what I did. Gonna mow 18 acres of hay and then will work on it more. Thanks greybeard and chevytaHOE for all the good advice. Maybe jltrent learned something. Even if I did I would forget it by next time. But I'm gonna print off most of this and add it to the manual.

I think I am more confuse now than before your description.....now you are saying it is the pump?
From his description, it sounds like the pump is working but perhaps with less operating pressure than it should have.

KT, is it possible you've used some hyd fluid in that pump reservoir that foams?

No foam that I noticed. But I still can't see that the fluid is being pumped through the filter like it once was.
It for sure isn't fixed but if I can get this one field of hay cut I will have time to work on it again.

jltrent":18fdw6oz said:
kenny thomas":18fdw6oz said:
1995 Ford 4630 4x4 last week the power steering just suddenly quit. Steering wheel just keeps turning either way. No fluid circulating in the pump. Pump fluid level is good. Took pump off tonight and filter is clean, gear is good and seems to be turning ok. What am I missing?

Could be the seal in the middle of the steering cylinder is bad......

Cylinder%20installed.JPG
Well after a month and a half it's repaired and steering well. It was the packing in the cylinder across the front between the tie rod ends. Packing was $54 and took about 2 hours to fix it.
Still learned a lot of other things from this.

kenny thomas":flzq0t2s said:
jltrent":flzq0t2s said:
kenny thomas":flzq0t2s said:
1995 Ford 4630 4x4 last week the power steering just suddenly quit. Steering wheel just keeps turning either way. No fluid circulating in the pump. Pump fluid level is good. Took pump off tonight and filter is clean, gear is good and seems to be turning ok. What am I missing?

Could be the seal in the middle of the steering cylinder is bad......

Cylinder%20installed.JPG
Well after a month and a half it's repaired and steering well. It was the packing in the cylinder across the front between the tie rod ends. Packing was $54 and took about 2 hours to fix it.
Still learned a lot of other things from this.
Good call jltrent.

Glad you got it fixed as those are nice tractors. Going across slopping ground my M9000 Kubota steering wants to slowly walk it way down hill a little. I would say a steering cylinder seal is in the future, but it will have to get a lot worse before fixing.

Latest posts