Ford 4630 power steering

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
1995 Ford 4630 4x4 last week the power steering just suddenly quit. Steering wheel just keeps turning either way. No fluid circulating in the pump. Pump fluid level is good. Took pump off tonight and filter is clean, gear is good and seems to be turning ok. What am I missing?

kenny thomas":24ozjatr said:
1995 Ford 4630 4x4 last week the power steering just suddenly quit. Steering wheel just keeps turning either way. No fluid circulating in the pump. Pump fluid level is good. Took pump off tonight and filter is clean, gear is good and seems to be turning ok. What am I missing?

Could be the seal in the middle of the steering cylinder is bad......

Cylinder%20installed.JPG

kenny thomas":1v2d1rfq said:
Ok, tell me how to fix it, and why is the fluid not circulating in the pump

It could be the pickup screen plugged. Have you changed the hydro oil recently and what kind. The wrong kind of hydro oil will cause the brake liners to come a part and clog the pickup screen. Not saying this has happened, but I have seen it several times. Just throwing things out there.

Also the pump my look good and act good, but no priming/pumping for some reason. That is about all I could think of since the fluid level is good.....somebody else probably will know. The guy that worked up at the Ford tractor place for years is like an encyclopedia on those tractors and every time I run into him I have a a lot of questions and he is brilliant.

jltrent":3o1baavy said:
kenny thomas":3o1baavy said:

It could be the pickup screen plugged. Have you changed the hydro oil recently and what kind. The wrong kind of hydro oil will cause the brake liners to come a part and clog the pickup screen. Not saying this has happened, but I have seen it several times. Just throwing things out there.
You lost me here. The power steering only runs off it's own fluid doesn't it. Yes it's hydro oil

jltrent":3bj4izxq said:
Also the pump my look good and act good, but no priming/pumping for some reason. That is about all I could think of since the fluid level is good.....somebody else probably will know. The guy that worked up at the Ford tractor place for years is like an encyclopedia on those tractors and every time I run into him I have a a lot of questions and he is brilliant.
He is lots better than Google for sure

kenny thomas":1eodfx52 said:
jltrent":1eodfx52 said:
kenny thomas":1eodfx52 said:

You lost me here. The power steering only runs off it's own fluid doesn't it. Yes it's hydro oil
You are right on those I was thinking about newer ones. Seems like if not pumping it is the pump, especially since it has proper fluid in it, the gear is good and it is turning. Did you take a pipe loose or what to make sure it is pumping, fluid circulating in the pump. You might raise the front end off the ground and see if it will turns like it should then with the weigh off.

Is the gear in the front timing cover that drives the pump intact and turning? Are you sure that the pump gear is actually turning the internals? There is a relief valve in the pump is it stuck? If you remove the pressure line off the pump and bump the key does it pump fluid?

I've seen the relief stuck. Seen the shaft shear off so that the gear doesn't actually drive the internals under load. Also could be in the steering orbital valve in the column.

chevytaHOE5674":1p7a7xe8 said:
Is the gear in the front timing cover that drives the pump intact and turning? Are you sure that the pump gear is actually turning the internals? There is a relief valve in the pump is it stuck? If you remove the pressure line off the pump and bump the key does it pump fluid?

I've seen the relief stuck. Seen the shaft shear off so that the gear doesn't actually drive the internals under load. Also could be in the steering orbital valve in the column.
How will it act if the steering orbital valve messes up. With the steering wheel turning around and keeps turning kinda made me wonder?

chevytaHOE5674":2qxttkm1 said:

There was no fluid calculating in the pump but with the pump off i can hear it seem to be pumping as I turn the gear. The gear in tthe timing cover feels ok but how do I really tell.

Just spinning the pump by hand it will probably pump even if the shaft sheared as there is no load on it. Checking the gears in the timing cover is easy take a small bar or screw driver and try to rotate them, they shouldn't move unless the engine turns over.

First thing i would do is pull the relief valve out and make sure its clean and nothing is stuck in it.
Second thing is pull off pressure hose and bump the key to see if it pumps anything
Third if no pumping, pull pump apart and check for internal failure.
If it's pumping then I would check to make sure the steering cylinder didn't come apart internally.
If pump is pumping and cylinder is good then orbital valve is the last and most expensive piece.

The steering wheel will turn around and around as the "stops" you feel normally are the cylinder bottoming out.

Been googling for a few minutes and not a lot of good info. From what I can tell I think that model had the Hydro-static steering. The steering orbital valve is a good possibility and I still wouldn't rule out the steering cylinder as one thread I read that was their problem. Good info chevytaHOE5674.

w.

chevytaHOE5674":1bu8539j said:
Also on the pump gear behind the nut there is a keyway. If you still have the pump off now is an easy time to check it.
Very good advice. Yes I still have the pump off but went as far as I felt safe until I ask for advice, I will check more tomorrow night.

chevytaHOE5674":39d3b1ho said:
Just spinning the pump by hand it will probably pump even if the shaft sheared as there is no load on it. Checking the gears in the timing cover is easy take a small bar or screw driver and try to rotate them, they shouldn't move unless the engine turns over.

First thing i would do is pull the relief valve out and make sure its clean and nothing is stuck in it.
Second thing is pull off pressure hose and bump the key to see if it pumps anything
Third if no pumping, pull pump apart and check for internal failure.
If it's pumping then I would check to make sure the steering cylinder didn't come apart internally.
If pump is pumping and cylinder is good then orbital valve is the last and most expensive piece.

The steering wheel will turn around and around as the "stops" you feel normally are the cylinder bottoming out.
Where is the relief valve?

Go to messiks or new holland and look up the exploded diagram for the pump it will help you with disassembly and identification.

Generally when the orbital valves fail they won't just quit. They will steer left and not right, or slow to respond, or not center, or steering will drift, etc.

chevytaHOE5674":3qu2vg5t said:
There isn't anythi8ng "magic" in a gear pump like that so don't be afraid of taking it apart. Just keep everything organized and clean.
Thanks. Gonna rain for a week so i got time

Latest posts