For you guys that have used Sudax for hay..

Help Support CattleToday:

machslammer

Reaction score
I know most people use a mower/conditioner with it. However, we cut ours with a disc mower this time as we didn't have access to a moco. Anyway, with it 30-40" tall, not headed out, and a pretty thick stand when cut, how many days 80 to low 90 degree weather days with high humidity does it take to dry out? Will it cure like fescue and be brittle when cured(twist test?), change colors, ect? Best way to tell when it's ready to rake/roll? Thanks for any thoughts.

Tried this once when I was a kid. Bad idea. You should have green chopped only enough to feed daily or chop it in one cutting and ensile it in a silage pit. It will take forever to dry enough to bale and you likely won't be happy with the bales after they rot away.

Well my dad got in a hurry and decided to roll yesterday before another rain got on it. We had a 5 inch down pour rain that drove half of it in the ground and rain part across the road the day after it was cut. Teddered the day after that. Cut on Monday and he insisted it was dry on Friday and raked and baled it. Made crappy amount because of the rain but it's in a roll. Guess we'll see now what happens.