For those of you who missed Macon's comment on ranchers.net

Help Support CattleToday:

tapeworm":1m3z73sd said:
Well well well Muratic. I was starting to have sweet affections :heart: for you...now I find out that your not what you say you are. I really thought that you were a girl...now I find out like this that you might have a kickstand instead.....makes me feel kind of dirty :oops: :oops: :oops:

No need to feel dirty my dear tapeworm. I asure you there is NO kickstand here.

Actually, you spell it Y'all. its a contraction for the words You and All. The ' goes where the letters are omitted.

Wewild":nbm9m3fx said:
TheBullLady":nbm9m3fx said:
lol.. and the two debating the "ya'll" issue aren't even TEXANS! :)

Did y'all invent it?
Nope. The Bull Lady from Illinois, so she got no say about Ya'll. She aint been in Texas or the South, better Known as Gods Home long enough to have sumthin to say about it..

la4angus":25bn30u7 said:
Wewild":25bn30u7 said:
TheBullLady":25bn30u7 said:
lol.. and the two debating the "ya'll" issue aren't even TEXANS! :)

Did y'all invent it?
Nope. The Bull Lady from Illinois, so she got no say about Ya'll. She aint been in Texas or the South, better Known as Gods Home long enough to have sumthin to say about it..

Wonder if she eat's grits.

3 entries found for ya'll.

you-all (yôl) also y'all (yôl)
pron. Chiefly Southern U.S.
You. Used in addressing two or more people or referring to two or more people, one of whom is addressed.
Regional Note: The single most famous feature of Southern United States dialects is the pronoun y'all, sometimes heard in its variant you-all. You-all functions with perfect grammatical regularity as a second person plural pronoun, taking its own possessive you-all's (or less frequently, your-all's, where both parts of the word are inflected for possession): You-all's voices sound alike. Southerners do not, as is sometimes believed, use you-all or y'all for both singular and plural you. A single person may only be addressed as you-all if the speaker implies in the reference other persons not present: Did you-all [you and others] have dinner yet? You and you-all preserve the singular/plural distinction that English used to have in thou and ye, the subject forms of singular and plural you, respectively (thee and you were the singular and plural object forms). The distinction between singular thou/thee and plural ye/you began to blur as early as the 13th century, when the plural form was often used for the singular in formal contexts or to indicate politeness, much as the French use tu for singular and familiar "you," and vous for both plural and polite singular "you." In English, the object form you gradually came to be used in subject position as well, so that the four forms thou, thee, ye, and you collapsed into one form, you. Thou and thee were quite rare in educated speech in the 16th century, and they disappeared completely from standard English in the 18th. However, the distinction between singular and plural you is just as useful as that between other singular and plural pronoun forms, such as I and we. In addition to y'all, other forms for plural you include you-uns, youse, and you guys or youse guys. Youse is common in vernacular varieties in the Northeast, particularly in large cities such as New York and Boston, and is also common in Irish English. You-uns is found in western Pennsylvania and in the Appalachians and probably reflects the Scotch-Irish roots of many European settlers to these regions. You guys and youse guys appear to be newer innovations than the other dialectal forms of plural you. See note at you-uns.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ya'll

It appears that both form are acceptable, I prefer ya'll and will continue to spell it that way.

;-)

cherokeeruby":18985ryu said:
You-uns is found in western Pennsylvania and in the Appalachians and probably reflects the Scotch-Irish roots of many European settlers to these regions. You guys and youse guys appear to be newer innovations than the other dialectal forms of plural you. See note at you-uns.

;-)

Got me right on the nose.

Wewild":3n2hgjgm said:
cherokeeruby":3n2hgjgm said:
You-uns is found in western Pennsylvania and in the Appalachians and probably reflects the Scotch-Irish roots of many European settlers to these regions. You guys and youse guys appear to be newer innovations than the other dialectal forms of plural you. See note at you-uns.

;-)

Yep, say that too. Also we-uns, there is a lot of Appalachian and Scotch-Irish heritage in my family.

cherokeeruby":1px1vzjd said:
Wewild":1px1vzjd said:
cherokeeruby":1px1vzjd said:

;-)

Yep, say that too. Also we-uns, there is a lot of Appalachian and Scotch-Irish heritage in my family.

Know where Scotch-Irish history came from???

cherokeeruby":1227oi2k said:
Wewild":1227oi2k said:
cherokeeruby":1227oi2k said:

;-)

I've said y'all since I started talkin... and have always refered to the chitlins of the families as you-uns with various pronunciations... and I've never gone further south that Disney world....
and only hit Alabama for an hour....

Wewild":24k0djre said:
cherokeeruby":24k0djre said:
Wewild":24k0djre said:
cherokeeruby":24k0djre said:

;-)

Sure, they got kicked off the ship when Georgia was a penal colony.

cherokeeruby":25er7wgh said:
Wewild":25er7wgh said:
Wewild":25er7wgh said:

;-)

Sure, they got kicked off the ship when Georgia was a penal colony.

I thought we left/fled Ireland after the English relocated us to civilize the Irish and we weren't going to take it.

Well some of my people chose the 'free' travel plan. Other came over here as children, every once in a while England would clean out the orphanages by shipping them to America as indentured servants.

Dam'n Cherokee, sure sounds like you got a lotta smarts in your head. Where you gettum at.. You maybe kin to dunnitall.

cherokeeruby":7sujunud said:
Well some of my people choose the 'free' travel plan. Other came over here as children, every once in a while England would clean out the orphanages by shipping them to America as indentured servants.

May be the way I wound up here too. One thing about it is WE ARE HERE NOW. Love your posts.

Thanks back to you Cherokee I love you too. Just don't tell the other girls. :) :heart:
It's good to be back. :heart: ;-) :heart:

Jake":27nqfng3 said:
cherokeeruby":27nqfng3 said:
Wewild":27nqfng3 said:
cherokeeruby":27nqfng3 said:

;-)

I've said y'all since I started talkin... and have always refered to the chitlins of the families as you-uns with various pronunciations... and I've never gone further south that Disney world....
and only hit Alabama for an hour....
Jake,Ya'll up north can call it y'all if you want and you can call your family members chitlins but down here we eat chitlins. :lol:

Latest posts