Foot rot treatment question

Help Support CattleToday:

B&M Farms

Reaction score
It's been several years since I have had to treat foot rot but this morning I noticed a cow favoring a back leg and a little swollen below the cannon. Put her in the chute and she has foot rot. She weighs about 1300lbs so I gave her 40cc's of LA300 and cleaned her foot with iodine. I was wondering how long to wait to give her more antibiotics if needed? I don't want to stress her any more than needed.

If I remember right with LA300 its 4 days before you can retreat. Look at the label.
I can't prove it helps but I soak the foot in diesel fuel also. I thinks it helps a lot.

B&M Farms":y8e6vx1b said:
It's been several years since I have had to treat foot rot but this morning I noticed a cow favoring a back leg and a little swollen below the cannon. Put her in the chute and she has foot rot. She weighs about 1300lbs so I gave her 40cc's of LA300 and cleaned her foot with iodine. I was wondering how long to wait to give her more antibiotics if needed? I don't want to stress her any more than needed.

Get her on dry ground.

Read the directions in the bottle box - far more detailed than what is on the bottle - it tells you how much to use and how often

Personally I would hit her every day with the regular stuff for a week and to he ll with the stress - give the shots in the neck - no more than 10cc to a site - I usually divide the shots evenly and do them on both sides of the neck - they are a lot tougher than you are.

I never cared for long acting unless I was turning an animal out after one shot. Even then I am not fond of it. It brings on questions like yours on a regular basis.

I have never used LA300 but I think you might have been light on the dose.

Did you drain the hoof or simply clean it? Anything embedded in the bottom of the hoof? Up high and between the toes?

If you did cut a hole to drain the hoof needs to be wrapped to keep out the dirt if on soft ground

Otherwise sounds like you gave her a good start - watch and see - takes a while to heal up - and sometimes it never really does.

Best to all

Bez

kenny thomas":2z803a14 said:
If I remember right with LA300 its 4 days before you can retreat. Look at the label.
I can't prove it helps but I soak the foot in diesel fuel also. I thinks it helps a lot.

Cows are mammals and so are we - so I basically think we use on them what we use on ourselves - if diesel works on an injury on a human then I would use it - as I do not know, I would not personally do this to a cow as I believe it to be too much of a carcinogen.

Best to all

Bez

She didn't have anything embedded. I gave her the max dose of 9mg per lb per label in 4 sites on her neck. I didn't drain her foot, just soaked it in iodine.

snake67":2xv4jeyj said:
kenny thomas":2xv4jeyj said:

Cows are mammals and so are we - so I basically think we use on them what we use on ourselves - if diesel works on an injury on a human then I would use it - as I do not know, I would not personally do this to a cow as I believe it to be too much of a carcinogen.

Best to all

Bez

Maybe thats whats making me fall apart in my old age. But I do use it on myself. If im on the farm and cut myself I do clean the cut with diesel. Changed the fuel filters on a couple tractors today and of course got my hands soaked with the diesel. The arthritis in my hands is not nearly as sore tonight as usual. Notice I did not recomend it to anyone just said that it was what I did.

kenny thomas":nmtihjjt said:
snake67":nmtihjjt said:
kenny thomas":nmtihjjt said:

Best to all

Bez

Maybe thats whats making me fall apart in my old age. But I do use it on myself. If im on the farm and cut myself I do clean the cut with diesel. Changed the fuel filters on a couple tractors today and of course got my hands soaked with the diesel. The arthritis in my hands is not nearly as sore tonight as usual. Notice I did not recomend it to anyone just said that it was what I did.

I noticed

And I would also recommend you stop doing this - major corporations are now making their mechanics use latex gloves when handling petroleum products - I bet there is a reason for this

Take care

Bez

I like hot bleach water to clean, and rub turpentine from the knee down because it will take the soreness out. Give her 12-13 asprin with some feed that will help with swelling and pain. Anybody use copper-tox between the toes and the bottom of the hoof??

what ive had of it i used the long lasting stuff Excede i think it lasts 7 days when you compare the cost of it vs La 200 very little difference so i just have to get them up once and its about 1/3 of the ccs i clean it with peroxide coat it with coopertox put duct tape all around and try to kepp them somewhere dry.

I talked to my vet this morning and he said to come by and he had some nuflor or excede I could give her tomorrow. He told me to get her foot up again to make sure there wasn't anything between her toes and to use the iodine again. The best I can do to keep it dry is to leave her on pasture because my pens are muddy right now. She can access the ponds though.

kenny thomas":20j7zfl3 said:
I have always used clorox, but I treated one today with diesel as another cattleman recommended that also. As much as Kenny has been around cattle and the sale barn I would say he knows what will work.

If it's a mild case I use LA300, little worse LA300 with Sustain III, bad case Excede with Sustain III. I also scrub the hoof & treat with Kopertox or Pritox (same stuff, little less expensive).

kenny thomas":spy3wh9m said:
snake67":spy3wh9m said:
kenny thomas":spy3wh9m said:

Best to all

Bez

Fixin to try the diesel fuel thing on a cow with a swollen back foot.

I've kind of settled in on a dose of a daily antibiotic and flossing between the toes with a length of gauze soaked in iodine. Turn them out in a dry pen. If they are walking significantly better the next day and there isn't an oozing wound on the foot, I give them a dose of LA, hit them with iodine again, put an X with a paint stick on their hip or shoulder to mark the bad leg and turn them back out with the herd.

Latest posts