Foot rot, second opinion? ..pic

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Our vet thought this was foot rot from my description to him. He did not see it. Never had one do this before. We did what he suggested, does not seemed to have improved in 2 days though? Any suggestions?
MVC-008F-1.jpg

Did you get that pic while the cow was walking? Looks like it could be foot rot. What did you try as far as treatment?

If you are in a dry area and their hooves crack from being dry, then they stand in the creek...they will get foot rot.
Have you fished around in there to make sure nothing is stuck between the toes?

What did you give for the foot rot?

tom4018":iyyfgpkq said:
Our vet thought this was foot rot from my description to him. He did not see it. Never had one do this before. We did what he suggested, does not seemed to have improved in 2 days though? Any suggestions?
MVC-008F-1.jpg

It's either foot rot or a bad case of hairy heel warts.

Foot rot stinks like all get out.

I take a clean rope and pull it back and forth between the toes to clean it out, rinse good, then squirt Kopertox all over it.

That usually does it for me.

Did not see anything in there. Gave her Tetradure 300 and put some foot rot liquid, can't recall the name, on it. Treated her Sunday, swellin seems to be going down a little.

I think the pic was while walking, daughter took it so not sure.

Doesn't look like HHW to me, just a bad case of footrot. We use Excenel for footrot, primarily because of the difference in the amount that needs to be given. 1 cc per 100 pounds is lot a easier to give then 10 times that amount with LA-200.

dun

if you don't use the kopertox. mix up some bleach in a hand pump sprayer and give them a good dose. but for sure hit it with some LA200 or equivalent

I would say it looks like foot rot to me just because how swollen it looks between the dewclaws and the back of the hoof. We usually use Nuflor for footrot. It's about the same dosage as LA or Biomycin 200. (Nuflor 3 cc/100 lbs IM, 6 cc/100 SubQ). I usually go IM with it so it gets in the system faster. Also with Nuflor, you can usually get it under control with one shot, rather than two with LA.

Just work with your vet and you should get it taken care of.

Yesterday evening the swelling was way down and she is walking a lot better. Guess I thought I should have seen results sooner, hopefully she will be ok.

Even if she's better by day 3 but still limping/favoring that foot, hit her again with antibiotics. They're a lot cheaper then having a cow that has a lingering case that will show up again in a month or so.

dun

ALACOWMAN":120ws12f said:
if you don't use the kopertox. mix up some bleach in a hand pump sprayer and give them a good dose. but for sure hit it with some LA200 or equivalent

in my experience, kopertox usually does more harm than good

I, too agree that that is indeed footrot. Here in South Africa, which is a very dry part of the world, we get more footrot cases in winter when the cattle has to walk on frosty ground than we get in wet conditions. Quite often it starts because there was a thorn or rock stuck between the hooves which broke the skin giving the opportunity for the infection to infiltrate.

cattle are also more proned to footrot if they are zinc deficient. So if you get more than one case in a short period of time, it would be wise to look into that.

Remember that footrot can cause temporary infertility in bulls due to the resulting high fever killing the sperm cells.

dun":3t6ofxwt said:
Even if she's better by day 3 but still limping/favoring that foot, hit her again with antibiotics. They're a lot cheaper then having a cow that has a lingering case that will show up again in a month or so.

dun

Took your advice and retreated her yesterday with LA200.
Gave me a good scare, she started kicking at her belly, picking up a leg and shaking it, and just overall acting weird. Was that some kind of reaction to the LA200? A first for me.

tom4018":2ukw1b3x said:
dun":2ukw1b3x said:

dun

Gave me a good scare, she started kicking at her belly, picking up a leg and shaking it, and just overall acting weird. Was that some kind of reaction to the LA200? A first for me.

Tom on top of Dun's advice mix up 10 to 20% clorox and water in a pump up sprayer and spray her feet down. You might want to start supplementing iodine it will shut down the hoof rot takes a long time to work but it stops it in a herd.

Caustic Burno":3qaxfbfx said:
tom4018":3qaxfbfx said:
dun":3qaxfbfx said:

dun

Tom on top of Dun's advice mix up 10 to 20% clorox and water in a pump up sprayer and spray her feet down. You might want to start supplementing iodine it will shut down the hoof rot takes a long time to work but it stops it in a herd.

We had been doing the iodine until this spring, everyone has quit carrying it locally. Guess I will have to go somewhere else or order it.

Latest posts