Foods that require condiments to be palatable

Help Support CattleToday:

Grits. Without cheese, lots of melted butter, egg yolk from eating em with eggs, or shrimp and tomato gravy (aka shrimp and grits) they taste like crap.

On the same note - oatmeal. Without plenty of brown sugar, maple syrup (the real stuff from Vermont can't stand the fake stuff), apples etc, it tastes horrible.

Son of Butch":t9f0p6mt said:
. Hotdogs - grilled until slightly burned and split with mustard and some diced onion

Oh man as a kid in Scouts I used to love to char my hotdogs over a campfire - the crunch and black coating so good on it then juicy fatty hotdog meat inside of it. Same for marshmallows. And same for spam, even dropped it in fire or on ground couple of times before and still ate it. Good times!

M-5":3pyuoqbv said:
I talking about , cubed steak, roast, chicken, pork, deer . Meat in general. HeII I tell the woman at mickyd's I don't need a sauce for chicken nuggets.

Good meat other than bbq style food needs no sauce. To me it takes away from the quality of a good steak or piece of prime rib. I don't even put ketchup on hamburgers I just like to taste the juicy, medium rare ground beef (not raw and bloody like the butchers son likes :lol2: )

NECowboy":3qq0ysv7 said:
M-5":3qq0ysv7 said:
I talking about , cubed steak, roast, chicken, pork, deer . Meat in general. HeII I tell the woman at mickyd's I don't need a sauce for chicken nuggets.

Good meat other than bbq style food needs no sauce. To me it takes away from the quality of a good steak or piece of prime rib. I don't even put ketchup on hamburgers I just like to taste the juicy, medium rare ground beef (not raw and bloody like the butchers son likes :lol2: )
Yep....for me ketchup has one use and that is for french fries otherwise I never use it. Nothing on steak from salt, pepper and a bit of garlic.

The most unusual compliment I ever received at the restaurant was from a man who said" The prime rib was so good I didn't have to put ketchup on it."

TexasBred":3jlrkms0 said:
Yep....for me ketchup has one use and that is for french fries otherwise I never use it. Nothing on steak from salt, pepper and a bit of garlic.
My wife puts it on top of meat loaf right before she puts it in the oven, and it is good!
I like it with fried fish most of the time. More often than not, I don't use it with french fries or tater tots.

Eggs (boiled, fried or otherwise) without pepper, paprika and salt are UUGUGGGHHH!

I have a collection of east indian spices (chutneys, etc) that are awesome on meats..
Worcestershire sauce improves rice and in some cases potatoes dramatically
Soy sauce is a critical component in green beans and flat peas
Only place I use ketchup is on french fries.. though hashbrowns with ketchup and HP sauce work well together too

greybeard":rry09491 said:
Soy? That stuff will turn you into food..or make you sick.
Hoisin Sauce is a condiment made mostly from soybeans (soy, sugar, spices and a smidgen of sweet potatoes)
It's an Absolute must have for me on Mu Shu Pork and a few other Asian dishes.
Lee Kum Kee brand is what I keep on hand.

Latest posts