Food For Thought

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
Read a study in which not only did the 12 weight and lighter cows consume less, they weaned the heaviest group of calves. There was minimal difference between 12's and 13's, but the 15 weight cows was where the larger cows really started lagging behind.

I saw that in Hereford World too. I'll read it closer today, we are leaving for the State Fair, 4 hour drive. Makes me feel good about my smaller cows. We are taking a Sept. heifer and I'm afraid she'll get outhorsed but in the end I truly believe she'll be the right size.

greenwillowhereford II":3f23ign5 said:
Read a study in which not only did the 12 weight and lighter cows consume less, they weaned the heaviest group of calves. There was minimal difference between 12's and 13's, but the 15 weight cows was where the larger cows really started lagging behind.

Any particular breed or did they do the study on a variety of breeds?

TexasBred":3rlypfxa said:
greenwillowhereford II":3rlypfxa said:

Any particular breed or did they do the study on a variety of breeds?

I don't have the info in front of me, but I believe it was a commercial, crossbred herd, and I believe it was the "Dickenson Research Center," or some name like that. Actually, read it again this morning, and the 14 weights seem to have been where the biggest drop occured. The 16 and above actually had the lightest calves of all. I think it was research done in a dry year.

Latest posts