Foam filled tractor tires

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
What are the positives and negatives of filling the front tractor tires with something to make them unable to go flat?
Does anyone know of a company that offers this service , a kit or something?
Thanks Ed

We do that with some of the carts we have around the plant. The advantage is you don't get flats, the disadvantage is its expensive to get done, rougher ride, and if its not moved for a little while it will develope flat spots that stay forever.

Ed

I use "Slime", the green tire sealer stuff in my atv & stock trailer tires. Haven't had a flat since installing it about 2 years ago. Run my atv's over lots of small mesquite & prickly pear with no flats. You can get "Slime" at TSC, Walmart or Sam's club. Sam's usually has the best price. Don't see why it won't work for tractors.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Texas PaPaw":34mubmip said:
Ed

I use "Slime", the green tire sealer stuff in my atv & stock trailer tires. Haven't had a flat since installing it about 2 years ago. Run my atv's over lots of small mesquite & prickly pear with no flats. You can get "Slime" at TSC, Walmart or Sam's club. Sam's usually has the best price. Don't see why it won't work for tractors.

Brock

Works great for tires, just takes a lot of it, but it also depends on the size of the tractor tire compared toa car/truck tire

dun

i thought i had ruined a set of tires when i got into some thorn trees while bush-hogging.. looked like a porcupine when i came out and needless to say they were all flat the next morn.. local tire dealer came out and put a 5 gal. bucket of slime into the 4 tires...that was a year ago and i haven't had a problem since. occassionally i will see a green spot where the thorns are still working into the tire.. i believe the cost was about 200 bucks...

judge jb

My 4 wheeler tires go flat constantly from running over thorns in the brush along the creeks. Even a new tire has a dozen plugs in it in a short time. Do you think slime will take care of that situation? How much slime should I put in each 4 wheeler tire? Does the slime affect the ride or handling of the 4 wheeler? Thanks

stocky":2s25a7cv said:
My 4 wheeler tires go flat constantly from running over thorns in the brush along the creeks. Even a new tire has a dozen plugs in it in a short time. Do you think slime will take care of that situation? How much slime should I put in each 4 wheeler tire? Does the slime affect the ride or handling of the 4 wheeler? Thanks

Stocky

Slime should take care of your problem. I put a quart per tire a couple of years ago & no more flats. There is a formula on the label to figure how much is needed for different size tires. They recommend 24-32oz for atv's.

Haven't notice any change in ride or handling. It's good stuff.

Brock

stocky":33n5h8zu said:

I don;t use the actual product "slime" but it's similar. and pink and the bottle is calibrsated for different sized tires. I poked a deer antler through one and it left a 3 sided tear that when open up was about the size of my thumb. As an emergency fix I put some of the stuff in the tire. Don;t know how long ago that was, a month or two anyway. No leak and the tire hasn;t lost any pressure. Handles just like it alwasy did.

dun

by the way, i bought a 1997 Big Bear 4-wheeler and the only option on the machine was 80 bucks for tire puncture seal.. still got the same tires and never had a flat... trust me this works and will work as well in your tractor, lawn mower or what ever,{not for trailers that will be pulled at high speed} i don't work or have any connection with this product or company, but it has served me well... kinda pricey by the qt, but gets cheaper by the 5-gallon bucket...

judge jb

We use the aircraft tires and have had excellent service.These were shipped with their genseal. I think I may order a 5 gal bucket of their product to use in implement tires. I also just bougth a new 4 wheeler and had the dealer put sealant in the tires not sure what he used.We have honey locust around here and they are murder on tires.

Hello denoginizer

I bought an almost new JD 6403 tractor from a dealer that had a blemish on the right front tire and it looked like it had been booted. I asked the dealer about why he didn't put a new tire on a tractor that was only 9 months old. He said it was a tractor the state had leased to mow highway right of ways and that the tire was foam filled and would last a lifetime.

That was in March of this year. The tire is about to fly apart and the foam is getting soft and it is awfully bouncy on the hard road beds and has to be replaced.

I have been searching and found one repair shop in this entire county that will cut the old one off (yes, you heard correct, it has to be cut off with a sawsall) and they charge $40 just to get the old one off and then will not warranty the new tire unless it is filled since they will not be able to get all the previous foam off the wheel so the new tire can seat properly.

By their estimate, it will take 150 pounds of foam at $1.25 per pound to refill it.

Does this sound reasonable?????

$40 to remove old foam and tire
$118 for new tire
$187.50 for new foam
Being lied to by another salesman..........priceless!!!!!

Dub

Dub, would it be worth trying to get another rim for the tire and buying a new tire for it instead of all that? I dont know, I was thinking a salvage yard might have a rim you could buy reasonable and save some money and have a guarantee on you new tire

stocky":1eg43f52 said:
Dub, would it be worth trying to get another rim for the tire and buying a new tire for it instead of all that? I dont know, I was thinking a salvage yard might have a rim you could buy reasonable and save some money and have a guarantee on you new tire

Thanks Stocky, I thought of that but, salvage yards here don't carry one that new and from JD it was $165 and while that is cheaper, I would have one filled and one not and I'm not sure of the ramifications of that.

I think its worth the extra $60 or so to have the piece of mind that I won't have to worry about thorns and that type of thing.

Apreciate it.

Dub

DoubleK":2085vz2h said:
Hello denoginizer

I bought an almost new JD 6403 tractor from a dealer that had a blemish on the right front tire and it looked like it had been booted. I asked the dealer about why he didn't put a new tire on a tractor that was only 9 months old. He said it was a tractor the state had leased to mow highway right of ways and that the tire was foam filled and would last a lifetime.

That was in March of this year. The tire is about to fly apart and the foam is getting soft and it is awfully bouncy on the hard road beds and has to be replaced.

I have been searching and found one repair shop in this entire county that will cut the old one off (yes, you heard correct, it has to be cut off with a sawsall) and they charge $40 just to get the old one off and then will not warranty the new tire unless it is filled since they will not be able to get all the previous foam off the wheel so the new tire can seat properly.

By their estimate, it will take 150 pounds of foam at $1.25 per pound to refill it.

Does this sound reasonable?????

$40 to remove old foam and tire
$118 for new tire
$187.50 for new foam
Being lied to by another salesman..........priceless!!!!!

Dub

Why don't you save $40.00 and cut it off your self?

Hello bubchub

I did consider that but I was pretty sure that I would not have been able to satisfy them from a warranty standpoint.

Thanks for the thought though, I appreciate it.

Dub

I have had more practice at fixing flats than should be allowed. Gotta love those honey locusts. The man at Goodyear (also a farmer) told me no way would he ever have his tires foam filled. He claims it will tear the front end of your tractor up in short order. Slime works great, but did not have much luck when the tires had tubes. As I get flats I remove the tubes and refill with slime. No more problems. Don't know why it won't work well in tubes. I just know that I can always feel air coming out around the valve area.

Latest posts