flushing heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Flushing is getting a little out of hand. The whole purpose of flushing is to get calves out or SUPERIOR dams. Just because an animal LOOKS good & has good pedigrees, DOES NOT mean she will be prepotent to reproduce her looks or performance. Until a cow has produced several great calves (each & everyone of her calves are great) THAN she should be flushed.
On the thought of flushing a virgin heifer, beside the above opinion, I have an old fashion view on it - I think all the hormones may easily mess up a young female still growing. Most progressive breeders now flush a COW several times than breed her for a natural calf - than flush her again, and breed her.

I wouldn't flush a heifer. The results can be extremely variable in terms of embryo production and you also have no idea of the kind of calf she will raise. I would wait to see if she is really the kind of cow you want to invest all this money in (remember superovulation, breeding, synchronization with recipients, and recipients themselves cost quite a bit). Pedigree, numbers, and phenotype do not guarantee this heifer will be the elite donor cow you are looking for in the future.

I know of a man who does. Kind of messes them up for being pathfinders. Speculation at its best.

Boy when you ask a question on here you get alot of ignorant replies. I have the same question as we are getting ready to flush a virgin heifer on monday and this is my first experience with a heifer we have done 17 flushes on cows in the past year. I guess if you can't tell if you should flush a heifer by her appearence and pedigree you may try raising pigs or something. My only question on a heifer is are you going to get very many embryos. can't get an answer I guess it is like any flush you are taking chances.

mcangus":357bubr6 said:
Boy when you ask a question on here you get alot of ignorant replies. I guess if you can't tell if you should flush a heifer by her appearence and pedigree you may try raising pigs or something.

I guess if you can be 100% sure that a heifer is going to milk and not throw any birth defects and will be a perfect cow all before she puts a calf on the ground, then you might want to become a psychic. Probably more money in that than raising cattle if you have that kind of accuracy.

El_Putzo":3vh4avds said:
mcangus":3vh4avds said:
Boy when you ask a question on here you get alot of ignorant replies. I guess if you can't tell if you should flush a heifer by her appearence and pedigree you may try raising pigs or something.

I guess if you can be 100% sure that a heifer is going to milk and not throw any birth defects and will be a perfect cow all before she puts a calf on the ground, then you might want to become a psychic. Probably more money in that than raising cattle if you have that kind of accuracy.

:cboy: :lol:

Flushing heifers can certainly be exciting but I do agree that it has many drawbacks. First of all, let cows be cows long enough that we know they are good enough to flush. Secondly reproductively we know it is hard on their body.

I would worry about achieving pathfinder status the least as just because they are "pathfinders" doesn't actually mean they are great. Just means they are able to keep the calving schedule and outwean their average contemporary by 5% for 3 years in a row.
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to belittle their status. But it is not a "stamp" that says this cow has a good udder, etc.

A gentleman here in TX doesn't flush his cows until they are 14 to 16 years old. His theory is that they have made it though a couple of droughts and at least a couple of hard cullings.

She is your heifer do what you want but don't even try to sell me a bull calf out of her. Won't happen.

Glad to see allot of people "not" recommending flushing heifers! I don't think it is a good idea either. Would never consider it myself. I want to see proof of performance in a cow over "at least" a few calving seasons. Got to agree with the fact that phenotype and the animals ability to perform should be considered when flushing. Cows with poorer udders, calving problems, or lack the ability to breed back and maintain condition should not be considered despite their ability to raise a good calf year after year. How can you possibly determine any of this in a heifer! Selection, pedigree, prepotency, and genetics can all be in line, but that does not guarantee performance....that's proven!

You can rest assurd of one thing . Alot of the big named breeders are flushing every thing they can get thier hands on based on the EPd's and pedigree. They cant wait long on certian hot bloodlines for a cow to have several calves first to see how she does. If they do it is already to late. They missed the opportunity.

polledbull":2yw80tg9 said:
You can rest assurd of one thing . Alot of the big named breeders are flushing every thing they can get thier hands on based on the EPd's and pedigree. They cant wait long on certian hot bloodlines for a cow to have several calves first to see how she does. If they do it is already to late. They missed the opportunity.

Ah yes,....money. It makes us miss allot of steps in life, allows us to take allot of chances at long shots, and allows us to sell our principles cheap.....and "sometimes" it works.

99% of the reason of flushing yearling heifers would be to keep the generations turning over. Keep doing that and the real EPD's won't shine through.

If we would all keep using the latest greatest bulls to AI with we would improve our EPD's constantly, won't mean they are more accurate.

Leachman Cattle CO would be an example.

I always figured the biggest problem was not on what the potential of the calves, but the possibility of damaging a heifer that is thought to be worthy enough to flush. People I know of that flush always let them have at least one natural calf and then flush after that.

But my opinion is based on hearsay and observation of others, so refer to my signature at the bottom. :D

Latest posts