Flies are Horrible this year

Help Support CattleToday:

I used cylence pour on on Saturday. Been waiting to see how it did before i posted. Cows at home got run through the the chute and poured. When i poured it on the flies just boiled off them. On to lease pastures i loaded up 60 ml syringes, poured out Cubes in a line , and walked down and squirted them best i could. Three cows to one syringe. Got most of them . a few got nervous and left. Looked at the cows at home this evening. Very few flies. Going to look at others in the morning. Cylence was recommended by local friend cattleman. Supposed to be long lasting. We well see.

Does anyone use fly tags anymore :?: Can't say I know of anyone who does. At one time when they first came out, tags worked pretty well, especially the tags that stunk so bad when you uwrapped them :yuck:

A lot of folks pour cows with Ivomec or one of the fly pour-ons this time of year, especially if they are doing spring breeding shots. Same with calves if using a table, but it's harder to do when wrestling calves or using a nordfork. Nothing seems to last more than 10-14 days but can at least get one generation of flies knocked out :2cents:

John SD":52a7meni said:
Does anyone use fly tags anymore :?: Can't say I know of anyone who does. At one time when they first came out, tags worked pretty well, especially the tags that stunk so bad when you uwrapped them :yuck:

A lot of folks pour cows with Ivomec or one of the fly pour-ons this time of year, especially if they are doing spring breeding shots. Same with calves if using a table, but it's harder to do when wrestling calves or using a nordfork. Nothing seems to last more than 10-14 days but can at least get one generation of flies knocked out :2cents:

Fly tagged calfs last year because flys were so bad...worked pretty decent around face and head. We also use a rub with face flyps loaded with permectrin/ diesel mix. It helps.

I to would think they would not stick around long when they see you coming out with the vet gun, anyone have any luck with those predator wasp?

Caustic Burno":32xcx4l7 said:
WalnutCrest":32xcx4l7 said:
We are putting a movable turkey hutch in the pasture this year with 75 turkeys to see if we can convert the nuisance of bugs into dinner / profit. We will move it so it's either a little bit ahead or a little bit behind the cattle. I have no idea if it'll work ... we'll see ...

My hopes are high. My expectations are low.

We'll see...
I would like to just see a wild turkey again.
Can tell you this here you would need an armed guard.
I wore out a 22 and model 12 trying to keep the Mrs. banny chickens
from becoming bobcat, coon, coyote, dog, cat, possum, and most every other kinda critter turds.

Flies is what annoys a lot of people when caring for their cattle, as much as I'm a farmer for years but they still get to me.

I've used fly tags in the past and it worked to a certain degree. I'll now try some of the suggestions from this post.

Thanks for the advice.

I started with the Easy-Way cattle oiler mineral feeder. We bought one new one and 2 used ones which we rebuilt and cut our pinkeye problem to zero last year on 40 cows. So far this year the cows aren't bothered by the flies as I was out last night and they had none on them. Now we have had 2 killing frosts after the flies hatched and that does more for fly control than anything.

fenceman":1egouk9c said:
I used cylence pour on on Saturday. Been waiting to see how it did before i posted. Cows at home got run through the the chute and poured. When i poured it on the flies just boiled off them. On to lease pastures i loaded up 60 ml syringes, poured out Cubes in a line , and walked down and squirted them best i could. Three cows to one syringe. Got most of them . a few got nervous and left. Looked at the cows at home this evening. Very few flies. Going to look at others in the morning. Cylence was recommended by local friend cattleman. Supposed to be long lasting. We well see.
Well that didn't work worth a toot

I've got the rubs and face flaps out--seems to have helped. Sure would be nice if they had made the things to fill a 12 or 14 ft gateway instead of just 10' long tho.

I spray my cows,with a pump up garden sprayer . Set it to stream and it will spray 10 ft or better . Pour out a few cubes and walk through and spray . But I haven't found any spray that Will last longer than a few days

JSCATTLE":1orteka6 said:
I spray my cows,with a pump up garden sprayer . Set it to stream and it will spray 10 ft or better . Pour out a few cubes and walk through and spray . But I haven't found any spray that Will last longer than a few days

This is what I went to so far I am impressed.
http://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/ ... 63805.aspx

JSCATTLE":vctttsrb said:
What chemical and mix are you spraying them with? I used StockTox X(permethrin active ingredient) ) & water last year out of a backpack sprayer (I don't remember the mix ratio) and it seemed to help and lasted a couple weeks, but I used it along with the rubs as well. Use the same stuff on my rubs for 1/2 the season, mixed with diesel.
http://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/m ... tock-spray

I can't recall finding anything that isn't permethrin based locally, and I have had very poor luck with it. Any recommendations, or am I overlooking something at TSC or RuralKing? I spray with a garden sprayer too, and it seems to work for a few hours and that is it, mixed with water.

Which has me wondering if the diesel is doing more to combat flies than the chemical?

I am getting a cattle rub today, feeding the Rabon block as well, but am sick of seeing the cattle miserable. I have had zero luck with permethrin as an anti-tick spray on my jeans as well, like they are attracted to it or something, wondering how resistant the bugs are getting to this?

Water just evapoarts, diesel keeps the insecticide working longer.

I know what you are saying, I have experimented by spraying flies and ticks and it just doesn't seem to do much, I would expect them to either die or show some signs of it affecting them. Granted, I did not watch them for an hour but I would expect something like I see when I spray household flying bug killer.

However, pour some diesel on them and they are not happy about that.

just thinking out loud, I could be all wet, I wouldn't be surprised though to find out it was actually the diesel repelling the flies.

To get permethrin to work you got to make it real strong like 3 to 4 times what the bottle says. Then it only kills whats on them not that good after a few days. Not sure if that is good for the cows so I am going to try the vetgun this year. Found a local place that will rent me a gun for $20 for 3 days going to try it and see how it works before I put $250 down for the gun.

wacocowboy":2912mkwy said:
To get permethrin to work you got to make it real strong like 3 to 4 times what the bottle says. Then it only kills whats on them not that good after a few days. Not sure if that is good for the cows so I am going to try the vetgun this year. Found a local place that will rent me a gun for $20 for 3 days going to try it and see how it works before I put $250 down for the gun.

The Saber I went to is cheaper and works great 50 bucks does 45 cows for a 180 days.
Pour it on just like Ivomec. I spent way more permethrin everytime it rained it was gone.

I have never used Saber before, but that is a pretty good price for something that works. A little splash of rain and permethrin is gone and the flies are back. I just think permethrin has been over used for way to long like Ivomec.

wacocowboy":11m3dcl2 said:
I have never used Saber before, but that is a pretty good price for something that works. A little splash of rain and permethrin is gone and the flies are back. I just think permethrin has been over used for way to long like Ivomec.

It has rained here almost every day this year, I was wearing out the sprayer and cubing way more than
normal as flies were eating them alive. Ivomec was good for a couple of weeks had minerals out with
IGR and still losing the battle. I know I spent more than fifty bucks on permethrin not counting cubes
to pen and spray. The rubs were useless with all the rain.

Caustic Burno":1djk3o36 said:
wacocowboy":1djk3o36 said:

It has rained here almost every day this year, I was wearing out the sprayer and cubing way more than
normal as flies were eating them alive. Ivomec was good for a couple of weeks had minerals out with
IGR and still losing the battle. I know I spent more than fifty bucks on permethrin not counting cubes
to pen and spray. The rubs were useless with all the rain.

CB, how often are you having to pour them.. I'm very interested in this product, as the permethrin/rubs just isn't cutting it..

Latest posts