Flatiron Steak

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
Has anyone tried one of these steaks? Heavily promoted by the Nat'l. Beef Board. I tried one. Grilled. Not that good. Tasted like a pan seared boneless chuck roast. Probably would work well as fajitas or stir fry. I'll try that next time.

Heard a lot of advertisements about them. Have been wanting to try one. Exactly where is this cut coming from?

Jogeephus":1855uz4s said:
Heard a lot of advertisements about them. Have been wanting to try one. Exactly where is this cut coming from?

I heard it's from the clod. Years ago we used to byuy clods and cut them into steaks. They were a lot cheaper thebn round steak. I found them to be tasty nd a welcome change fomr 20% fat hamburger

Heard plenty about them, haven't tried em. I usually have plenty of my own. But I hope everyone likes them, it's good for the beef industry.

I have had a few.

From a couple of sources.
I find them very tender. Perhaps not the most flavorful of steaks but certainly not uanapealling.
A good marinade will enhance the flavor.

Schwanns Foods has a frozen Flatiron Bourbon Steak that is actually quite good.

Saw the guy on TV cook one that looked good. Lit some charcoal and let it cook down, fan the coals to get all the loose ashes off then throw the steak directly on to the coals. Turn it one time only, then put it on some foil and let it set for a few minutes.
Very few ashes were stuck to it and you can just flick those off. Then you can slice the steak and make fajitas with it. Looked alright to me.

Looks to me like it comes off the piece called an English roast here. There is a line of gristle down the middle of it but both sides are pretty tender.

With all the new cuts being advertised, I can't get it straight where anything comes from. I asked the butcher at the supermarket to show me exactly where a tri-tip steak came from and after sputtering around, he concluded he couldn't show me. Is a tri-tip roast what we used to call a Pike's Peak roast?

The Flat Iron is another name for a top blade steak...from the shoulder blade area of the chuck.
Toughted as next to the tenderloin in tenderness....we have them cut and have always had great success serving them....they fetch a sweet price too.
Dave Mc

The Flatiron Steak is as described by many here, a blade steak.

It is also as described an extremely tender piece of meat, second only to the tenderloin in inherent tenderness.

There is only one drawback to the Flatiron. If it has too much age on it , it will taste very much like LIVER.

It may be the only cut on the whole beef that doesn't benefit from aging. I'm not sure why but I know from personal experience that this is true.

I have had them a couple times at TGI Fridays and they have been really good .... maybe a little light on the flavor but they hit the spot when you don't need a huge meal.

Developed by the research teams of University of Nebraska and the University of Florida, the flat iron steak is gaining in popularity with restaurants across the United States. You can thank the National Cattlemen's Beef Association for funding research to make this steak available to us today.

The beef cut is actually a top blade steak derived from the tender top blade roast. The roast is separated into two pieces by cutting horizontally through the center to remove the heavy connective tissue.

The blade chuck consists of three distinct types of meat, two of which are steaks normally sold at a premium— one of which is the Flatiron

Latest posts