A chicken fried steak travesty-new place is on The List

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Excuse me while I rant a bit.........
Went to a new eating place last night, that recently opened in our nearest town, and ordered my favorite, a Texas tradition--chicken fried steak, and I'm still pizzed off about it this morning. I figured they could make a decent one, since the place is named Texas Seafood and Steakhouse. Now, let me say, that I've had CFS from Amarillo to Texarkana and down to Laredo and out to Fort Davis, and up thru Tennessee and Kansas, Oklahoma and even Arkansas and I actually judge an eatery by the quality of it's chicken fried steak. If a place can't serve up a decent and traditional CFS they are "on the list". "The list" being places I won't ever go back in to regardless of how good any thing else is.

A regular working man's CFS should be of adequate size, but not so huge it hangs over the plate, unless one just wants to order the double which is a whole round steak.
It should be a real steak, not hamburger steak.
It should be, as served at the table, 3/8-1/2" thick--not wafer thin, and not cooked to death to the point the steak itself is crunchy, dry and tough. That, gets you "on the list".
The breading--covers the steak, but that's it. Serve me one, and I cut into it and find that 1/2 the total area is empty, hollow breading, and you're "on the list".
Side orders should be served on the side--period. That's why they're called "sides".
Gravy should be white gravy, and is fine either leaves the kitchen on the steak or in a small bowl so the customer can decide how much gravy to smother the steak with.
Them's the rules here in Trexas and the Southwest and not to be trifled with, screwed up, altered or adulterated in any way.

It, according to the menu and the cute blonde waitress, "comes with a salad and choice of one side". Those choices are--french fries or cole slaw.
I ordered the french fries--(kinda hard to screw that up) , and house salad with Thousand Island.
Wife ordered shrimp and coleslaw.
Salad was good, dressing of a good portion, tho the bowl of cheap crackers seemed to have been each meticulously broken up and went everywhere when ya opened them up from their cellophane.
Out come the entrees.
I looked at my wife's big fried shrimp with envy thinking, "dang, wish I had ordered that", and then saw her looking at my plate with that "Oh he77, here it comes" look on her face.
A nice fair sized (but not overly large) chicken fried steak, smothered in white gravy and no side. "Where's my fries?"
"Oh, they put the fries under the steak".
:yuck: :mad: :mad: :?: :?: :?:
I let out a very audible gasp.
"Are them people all from New York City or Quebec by chance? Just what part of the word "side" do they not understand? This is Texas, we don't eat innards here, or raw octopus and if I had wanted soggy gravy soaked french fries we'd have flown up to Canada or the NE US and ordered that abomination they call Poutine off some slimy looking street vender. This is just wrong".

"No sir, they're all from Cambodia and this is how they do chicken fried steak here--want me to take it back and get fries on the side?"

"Nope young lady, I never send anything back--probably come out worse than this and I was raised to eat whatever is on my plate or not eat at all". I'll eat it, but yall are officially "on the list". The cooks and management deserves to be drug outside, hooked to a tree and have the flesh flayed from their back for sending this mess out here".

I forked the whole steak, plopped it over on my empty salad bowl, and raked the nastiness that used to be french fries off on a napkin, picked up the corners, and handed it to her as if it were a dirty diaper and put the steak back on my plate.
The steak itself was not bad--I've had a LOT better and some a lot worse.
Wife had already made a ugly face, pushed the coleslaw off to the side, so I got a spoonful of it and almost spat it out. I would estimate it was a 50/50 mix of shredded cabbage and horseradish. It would have knocked a horse down.
I did leave the young lady an overly generous tip, seeing as how it wasn't her fault and she had to stand there and endure my displeasure for about a minute and 1/2.

Anyway, if you're from Quebec or the Big Apple, are ever in Cleveland or Dayton Texas and see Texas Seafood and Steakhouse, stop in---you'll probably feel right at home.
I won't darken their doors again. It's a chicken fried steak--it ain't rocket science.

How about a beautiful rare prime rib smothered in barbeque sauce? Never went back and bad mouthed to anyone that would listen. Closed in 6 months.

Never had a CFS - I like my steaks more than an inch thick - burned on the outside and running red on the inside.

Some garlic and too much salt and I am a happy camper.

Trim the fat off my steak before you cook it and I will not eat it. I like to eat that charred fat.

I also never send anything back. I am a suspicious person when it comes to doing that.

Bez__

Also, here's another place, if it's still alive.. Toms Steak House, Banff Alberta... I don't know where they got their meat from.. it was all rubber! Toughest steak we've ever had... this was 25 years ago, and I've eaten a few 10 year old cows since then... still remember that steak! Word of advice.. if the steaks you serve aren't that great, make sure you have razor sharp knives!

I have no issues with your rant and totally agree, BUT....... first of all there is no chicken involved in the aforementioned CFS(country fried steak). ITS FRIED STEAK.... PERIOD. It can be floured and fried (the only way to do it correctly), you can make a batter and flop it in there and fry it you can do what ever you want but it is fried steak. I make a batter and fry green tomatoes and I don't call them chicken fried tomatoes, I fry squash, I fry pork chops and cubed pork, I fry doves, I fry quail all using flour or a batter mixture and none of them are referred to as chicken fried anything. I won't go into my opinion on gravy.
BTW - you are a better man than me cause I lose my mind if I am spending my money at some business and they don't do what is expected.

M5 thats probably fine over there but you come here and want "fried steak" you better order "Chicken Fried Steak" or you will go hungry. The "chicken" refers simply to the batter which is the same used for "friend chicken" (some are now calling that "chicken fried chicken :shock: )..... For me "fried steak" would have NO batter of any kind. Sort of like "fried bacon".

M5farm":3hcawraj said:
I
BTW - you are a better man than me cause I lose my mind if I am spending my money at some business and they don't do what is expected.

That applies to me in anything I spend my $$ on :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

TexasBred":1zguycvb said:
M5 thats probably fine over there but you come here and want "fried steak" you better order "Chicken Fried Steak" or you will go hungry. The "chicken" refers simply to the batter which is the same used for "friend chicken" (some are now calling that "chicken fried chicken :shock: )..... For me "fried steak" would have NO batter of any kind. Sort of like "fried bacon".

That just ain't right. I'm headed to lunch now and I think I'll order some steak fried chicken just to see what happens. LOL

I will keep that in mind. If I ever come to Texas I be sure to have a real steak That only caught a glimpse of the fire.

Well, there's no HAM in a hamburger!... I'm used to that one, but if I ordered "Bacon fried steak", I would expect bacon to be on the plate, and I'm sure you would too

As for calling it fried steak,... well, I wouldn't expect it cooked any other way, so I just say "steak"... be darned if you BOIL it!

M5farm":2zw8xyql said:
TexasBred":2zw8xyql said:

That just ain't right. I'm headed to lunch now and I think I'll order some steak fried chicken just to see what happens. LOL

I will keep that in mind. If I ever come to Texas I be sure to have a real steak That only caught a glimpse of the fire.
Chicken fried chicken was also on the menu. Generally, it's boneless chicken, battered in the same mixture as the CFS and covered with the same white (milk) gravy. The gravy usually comes pretty spicy--heavy on black pepper, but have seen it all kinds of ways. Here in deep East Texas, some people call it sawmill gravy--distinguishes it from brown gravy.

M5farm":2cl5f3m8 said:
I have no issues with your rant and totally agree, BUT....... first of all there is no chicken involved in the aforementioned CFS(country fried steak). ITS FRIED STEAK.... PERIOD. It can be floured and fried (the only way to do it correctly), you can make a batter and flop it in there and fry it you can do what ever you want but it is fried steak. I make a batter and fry green tomatoes and I don't call them chicken fried tomatoes, I fry squash, I fry pork chops and cubed pork, I fry doves, I fry quail all using flour or a batter mixture and none of them are referred to as chicken fried anything. I won't go into my opinion on gravy.

Chicken fried steak is covered in white gravy and country fried steak is covered in brown gravy or no gravy at all. Greybeard had chicken fried steak. Now stop being so danged picky and go eat lunch.

Oh I do not blame you. I wouldn't eat there again either.

Folks took me out to a place near them bragging up how great it was. I like seafood so was going to order the shrimp, but got talked into trying their prime rib. Bleah!
Tasteless and not very hot sort of like they left it sitting too long.
I know my folks were not happy when they asked me if I thought this was a great steak and I expressed my real opinion of it loud enough for everyone near by to hear.

M5farm":1dsupoxu said:
TexasBred":1dsupoxu said:

:lol2: :lol2: "Steak fried chicken". Might be one way to improve chicken. lol. On the steak you're right. Get a real steak instead of the battered stuff. But I do like mine a little bit more than "warmed". :nod:

I've grown up eating CFS, but had a new one on me when I was 19 and dating my first wife. Her grandmother hosted Sunday lunch every week at her house and made a major feed of it. I was amazed to see roast, fried chicken, fried pork chops and the biggest chicken fried steak I had ever seen on a platter. In addition to the meats were a host of veggies and breads.

I had been eyeballing the CFS as my first choice of meats and when the time was right I stabbed the prettiest one on the platter. This thing was at least 3/4" with a light crust and left little room on the plate for other accompaniments. Once I started slicing through it I hit a bone that I figured was the round one I'd grown up seeing in a round steak. Nope, dang thing turned out to be a T-Bone that she had chicken fried. :shock: One of the best CFS's I've eaten to this day.

slick4591":1aijk4ph said:
I've grown up eating CFS, but had a new one on me when I was 19 and dating my first wife. Her grandmother hosted Sunday lunch every week at her house and made a major feed of it. I was amazed to see roast, fried chicken, fried pork chops and the biggest chicken fried steak I had ever seen on a platter. In addition to the meats were a host of veggies and breads.

I had been eyeballing the CFS as my first choice of meats and when the time was right I stabbed the prettiest one on the platter. This thing was at least 3/4" with a light crust and left little room on the plate for other accompaniments. Once I started slicing through it I hit a bone that I figured was the round one I'd grown up seeing in a round steak. Nope, dang thing turned out to be a T-Bone that she had chicken fried. :shock: One of the best CFS's I've eaten to this day.

Grew up on those. My old maid Italian aunts breaded everything including pork chops. Fried em slow and they were always tender and juicy.

I think roast was about the only thing those people didn't fry. Didn't have a clue you could grill stuff at home or even that the broiler in their oven could be used for something other than toast. After that girl and I married I bought a charcoal grill and introduced them to lots of things.

Dont see it very often here and most dont know how to fix it right. I have had some very good in Granbury, TX at a place near the lake. Cant remember the name.

Latest posts