A chicken fried steak travesty-new place is on The List

Help Support CattleToday:

wacocowboy":2vn4xbhg said:
Ouachita":2vn4xbhg said:
Most folks might find that interesting; that you had a good CFS in a no name place.
I have found it to be an expectation to eat a good one in a hole in the wall place

Some of the best food I have ever eaten has been in hole in the walls or dives or bars or sale barn cafes. I know a few dives make some great CFS or on Fridays all you can eat catfish and one place makes a great grilled prime rib.
You find a place that can do all 3, I'm gonna move next door to it.

I ordered that cfs, and my wife said "we're in a Mexican place and you ordered a chicken fried steak.?!"

"I had to-it was on the menu-it tasked me. I gotta know."
She just shook her head and ordered the #1 plate.

ick greybeard.
The best CFS that I have ever had was at the Ranchman's Cafe in Ponder TX. However when I ate there it was about 40 years ago.
It is still open. They had the best pies too.

Chicken frying is just a bad way to make a bad piece of meat seem a little less bad!
It's used in place of hygiene or refrigeration, if it goes to long it turns into beef and rice!

Not surprised to see that you are from Mn.
Using that mindset, KFC, Popeye's, every seafood restraunt, Dairy Queen, and several thousand Catfish restraunts wouldn't account for billions of $$ worth of our economy and would have filed bankruptcy decades ago.

I'm betting you never had a real CFS and wouldn't turn down a Sunday fried chicken dinner either.

greybeard":1r8qc85k said:
CottageFarm":1r8qc85k said:
GB, sorry I hijacked your thread and turned it into a cooking lesson :dunce:
No problem about the alleged hijacking, but after reading how your's turned out, you're now on...............The List.
Sorry--dems the rules.

(Alton Brown is a funny guy, but he is after all, from Los Angeles. What the hades would he know about a real chicken fried steak?)
Cook them to no more than a medium and keep in mind that any fried food is going to continue to cook a little bit right after you remove it from the oil or lard.

I had a CFS just yesterday at a Mexican food joint in Refugio Texas. It was perfection. I never picked up the knife--cut it with a fork-----------at a Mexican food joint--and not a very fancy looking place either.

GB, it's okay. I well earned a place on 'the list' with that one. I'll try again someday. Some real good tips here!
I do make one heck of a fine lasagna...does that get me any redemption? :lol2: :lol2:

I thought Alton Brown was from Georgia?? just got moved to LA as a kid, but still had all those fine Southern recipes from Grandma??
No wonder it turned out like crap. Of course it's also possible his Gram wasn't a very good cook. I've know a couple gram's who couldn't boil water right and ruined everything they touched.

CottageFarm":1olrb9ai said:
I've know a couple gram's who couldn't boil water right and ruined everything they touched.
Oh, you've met my daughters grandmother?

To be 100% honest, lasagna is the only Italian dish I just don't like. Not so much the taste (tho that's part of it), but the texture.

CF I love some good lasagna. CF look online a lot of southern churches get all the ladies to put their favorite foods in a cook book you can probably find a real good CFS recipe in there.

greybeard":31fo1anv said:
Not surprised to see that you are from Mn.
Using that mindset, KFC, Popeye's, every seafood restraunt, Dairy Queen, and several thousand Catfish restraunts wouldn't account for billions of $$ worth of our economy and would have filed bankruptcy decades ago.

I'm betting you never had a real CFS and wouldn't turn down a Sunday fried chicken dinner either.

No I haven't, and I never turn down food.

:hide:

wacocowboy":2kma0rhe said:
CF I love some good lasagna. CF look online a lot of southern churches get all the ladies to put their favorite foods in a cook book you can probably find a real good CFS recipe in there.

Waco, If I ever find myself down that way, I'll cook a big ol' pan of it for you!!

GB, you're a tough one! My lasagne will usually sway even the fussiest eaters.
How about roasted Pork Tenderloin in Cranberry Buerre Blanc. Maybe a bit of asparagus, and Herbed New Potatoes?

CottageFarm":3gichbqs said:
.....How about roasted Pork Tenderloin in Cranberry Buerre Blanc. Maybe a bit of asparagus, and Herbed New Potatoes?

Just let me know when you're cooking within a day drive. That is a fine meal. :cboy:

Latest posts