RIND AROUND STEAK

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese

Reaction score
ate a t-bone for supper tonite from a recently butchered 2 yr old bull.meat is very good and tender but it does have a rind on part of the outside edge that is tuff.we just cut it off and giv it 2 the dogs but what is it and what causes it?

How long did it hang in the cooler? I'm thinking that if the humidity was low in the cooler it could have dried the outside out some. Its sometimes difficult to keep high humidity in a low temp environment. This happens sometimes when you are curing hams and such. Just a thought.

Jogeephus":18n1z0i1 said:
How long did it hang in the cooler? I'm thinking that if the humidity was low in the cooler it could have dried the outside out some. Its sometimes difficult to keep high humidity in a low temp environment. This happens sometimes when you are curing hams and such. Just a thought.
it hung for 14 days.

How thick is the rind. Is it like drier meat or is is maybe some connective tissue.

CKC1586":1if8mkzc said:
3waycross":1if8mkzc said:
How thick is the rind. Is it like drier meat or is is maybe some connective tissue.
My guess is that it is a whiteish "film"? Thinking it is the connective tissue?

It could be what's called silver skin. This needs to be trimmed. Here is a good link with some pictures and a better explanation than I can give.

http://www.askmarxfoods.com/what-is-silver-skin/

Latest posts