Flat Tires

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I went out to feed the cattle yesterday morning, the tractor had another xdjkddfnnvuif flat tire. I called Ginso Aircraft Tires, today they arrived UPS. Two new steel wheels with 16 ply aircraft tires, filled with Gen-Seal. I'll put them on in the morning and hopefully never have another flat tire on that tractor. $118.00 each.
~Tom

I've been using airplane tires for 10 years or longer. Only thing I've ever had stick through one is a deer antler. I drive my tractors in some rough thorny places.

ga.prime":3ffco877 said:
I've been using airplane tires for 10 years or longer. Only thing I've ever had stick through one is a deer antler. I drive my tractors in some rough thorny places.

Not much is going to stop a deer antler.

You can also get them in a tri-rib tractor tire from Gensco.
We order 4 about 2 weeks ago.
It took 2 days to get them.
Real nice people to deal with.

If anybody is interested, I live in the area close to Gensco Tires of Anniston and will be headed to the Mobile area with an empty truck or trailer. I can haul'em for you if needed.

Another way to reduce the number of tractor flats is to run lower air pressures. This allows the tire to flex instead of puncture many times. Added benefit of greater traction. Although nothing stops everything....except foam filling....too darned expensive, plus the rougher ride.

makemfat":rrbm5mjt said:
Another way to reduce the number of tractor flats is to run lower air pressures. This allows the tire to flex instead of puncture many times. Added benefit of greater traction. Although nothing stops everything....except foam filling....too darned expensive, plus the rougher ride.
The problem I see with this is sidewall flats. The thorns in my pasture are mercy-less on sidewalls. The only thing I found that works is more plys. For mesquite we used a tire over a tire.

Around here, (Central Arkansas), the biggest problem for many of us comes from stobs and things from previously cleared brush. Especially if someone cleared it by hand, all those slash cuts on small brush are perfect to puncture a tire. We don't have any mesquite, never even seen any actually. But every region has it's own problems, I know.

On the rears, I generally stay in the 10 - 15 range. To me, just a little flex at the bottom of the rear tires seems to work. Back when I ran the pressures posted on the sidewalls, I had way too many flats. Since then, about one a year. Still a pain in the rear, but tolerable. I will usually have a bale on both ends, since that's my normal load, and adjust the air pressure until the tire isn't squatted/flexed too much. I also have ballast in the rears, and maybe that helps a bit too.

Well folks, I gotta tell you those new aircraft tires have been on the tractor for a month, every time I get on it I have to laugh cuzz I have no mo flats.
~Tom