Fishing

Help Support CattleToday:

I like Warmouth, red-fin pike, largemouth bass, speckled perch and any kind of bream.

Anybody like froglegs? I know its not fishing, but do any of you frog-gig?Our first time was memorable, to say the least. Standing in an Arkansas creek at midnight, looking for eyes.

when i was little i used to get frog legs everytime we went to a seafood restaurant. i havent had them since i was about 7 though.

When you clean your fish if there is any dark meat on the white cut it out. That will really make the meat taste fishy. That I believe is what makes the fish taste bad. I roll mine in 3/4 cornmeal 1/4 flour, salt and pepper and lemon pepper. Soak it in egg and milk before rollling it. We prefer Crappie it seems to be the cleaner tasting fish.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3a7a4ith said:
Campground Cattle":3a7a4ith said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3a7a4ith said:
You guys got bigger ones than I got with that noodlin stuff.

Aint bad as long as you grab a flathead. Just keep an eye on the gator.
Oh ya the gators-------RIGHT ! :roll: LOL

Pulled a stringer of fish out of the water and something had been eating on them. I thought it was a turtle. The next time it happened I found out what it was-gator. He got upset about me taking 'his' fish away from him.
They 'hiss' when they get mad. I was sure glad I wasn't in the water with him.

We may have a few more gators in LA. than in some places.

I am NOT going to be reaching in holes I can't see to grab a fish!!!

Prefer any of the sunfish/bream/brim including goggle eye. Lived for a year on nothing but crappie and fried baked potatos. Don't care if I ever eat anothe crappie. Then bass about 12 inches long. White bass, wipers and small stripers are also excellent. Detest trout and not to fond of salmon, raised on them. Frog legs I get by dapping a fly on the surface around the weeds. Carp with the mud vein cut out and smoked is passable. Freshwater drum is ok. Catfish is good fried, but not my favorite. The only thing I've found turtle to be any good for is target shooting. Neigbor gets really PO'ed if I shoot them and don't take them to him.

dun

Ryder":3ubc83rg said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3ubc83rg said:
Campground Cattle":3ubc83rg said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3ubc83rg said:
You guys got bigger ones than I got with that noodlin stuff.

Aint bad as long as you grab a flathead. Just keep an eye on the gator.
Oh ya the gators-------RIGHT ! :roll: LOL

Pulled a stringer of fish out of the water and something had been eating on them. I thought it was a turtle. The next time it happened I found out what it was-gator. He got upset about me taking 'his' fish away from him.
They 'hiss' when they get mad. I was sure glad I wasn't in the water with him.

We may have a few more gators in LA. than in some places.

I am NOT going to be reaching in holes I can't see to grab a fish!!!

Gator dang fine eating to, the best eating is a gulf coast seafood platter speckled trout shrimp oysters and crab.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1j88j1yc said:
You snag one of them gators Campground and I'll try a taste. :lol:

Come on over once you get to God's country we'll run up the river we can have one in thirty minutes. You can pick your size 6" and up.

What is your favorite freshwater fish for eating?

Not big on freshwater fishing or eating. LOVE good ol saltwater fishing. We like almost any type, black drum, speckled trout, and redfish are my favorites.

oh well if we are talking saltwater now, speckled trout is good but you cannot beat a grouper.

On the west coast there are various rockfish, sort of a snapper. Friend of mine maintaines that they're so good they should be classified as beef and not fish. I have to agree with him

dun

Dun, How could a TRUE cattleman ever say something like that. I am just crushed. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

txshowmom":39n42027 said:
Dun, How could a TRUE cattleman ever say something like that. I am just crushed. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Obviously you've never eaten them.

dun

Fish can never taste like beef. It can taste like chick but NEVER beef. :lol: :lol:

txshowmom":28m3gail said:
Fish can never taste like beef. It can taste like chick but NEVER beef. :lol: :lol:

Don't recall saying it tasted like beef. Maybe I'm mistaken. If not I'm sure you'll lose all respect for me too. If you have/had any respect for me in the first place.

dun

Had a groper or grouper (am not sure of spelling or if they are two different fish) sandwich a couple of months ago at Peg Leg Pete's on Santa Rosa Island, Fla.

Delicious does not begin to describe it.
Hope that place is still there.

I can eat filleted bream until I burst. I prefer bluegills, but red ears and shellcrackers are right up there. I like to take them and soak them in beer for a while before I cook them. The oil will float to top. I also like crappie, any catfish beside blue cat, small bass, white bass, etc. I like the drum as well even though everybody around here considers them to be a trash fish. Trout taste like dirty feet.

The only way to cook fish is deep fried. Baked fish ranks right up there with vaseline as far as taste.

JB

My absolute favorite fish is cornmeal fried catfish!!! YUMMM!!!! :D I tried to bake it once and it tasted like cr@p but I'd sure like to try Craig-tx's recipie.

Latest posts