Favorite fishing hole?

Help Support CattleToday:

CB,

Ever seen a bass in brackish water? Last year the son in law caught this green bass on a live shrimp. I like specs and crappie the most. My son likes to fish, so we go a lot. Not many 16 year olds want to spend time with dad, so I'll spend every dollar to be with my last in line.
We're boat poor; a bateau for ponds, a bateau with a 65 hp for fishing smaller lakes, a bay boat for the Louisiana marshes and a party barge to keep the wife happy. All 2nd hands though, I don't have Caustic money.
Green bass and a hawg sac a lait pictured

show me your bigguns!
Used to fish the bayous quite a bit. Throw one cast catch a bass next a speck.

Always cool reeling in freshwater and saltwater CB. Reds tend to travel farther in than specs. Specs like the salt, reds don't care if they can get some grub😊

Here is my fishing hole to be. It is an old tin mining pond where there wash water went to. 8 years ago the wall washed out in heavy rain when the spillway couldn't handle to surge and it ran over. My grandson and his father did most of the work repairing the wall and now it is just about full. I intend to stock it with Murray Cod and some Yellowbelly, both native Australian fish that grow quickly. I'm going to make some campsites around the waterhole for friends to use and fish but only catch and release. I have another long narrow hole just below this with overhanging trees which should be ideal habitat for the yellow belly and to walk along flicking a lure at snags. These fish can breed in the impoundments when there is water flowing through them.P1020306.JPG

Always cool reeling in freshwater and saltwater CB. Reds tend to travel farther in than specs. Specs like the salt, reds don't care if they can get some grub😊
I was fishing one time up Halls bayou got in some good reds using a mirrolure. Caught three back to back and stripped a 5000 down to the spool.
All three never checked up and kept my 7 dollar mirrolure.
Told my fishing partner we needed to find some more reds, he said why.
I told him I couldn't afford this size many more cast.

I love fighting reds, but you better have the right equipment and your drag set right. I normally fish with at least 20 lb test, with the drag set well. I like how they run side to side or at the boat. A black drum just goes straight down. Specs don't really fight.
I do agree with you about bass though. My fav is top water for bass. They go crazy in the spring!
CB, you need to come fish with us.... no excuses. I've formally invited you now. We'll go out in the bay boat, or I can even take you to my crappie honey hole. You choose.

Here is my fishing hole to be. It is an old tin mining pond where there wash water went to. 8 years ago the wall washed out in heavy rain when the spillway couldn't handle to surge and it ran over. My grandson and his father did most of the work repairing the wall and now it is just about full. I intend to stock it with Murray Cod and some Yellowbelly, both native Australian fish that grow quickly. I'm going to make some campsites around the waterhole for friends to use and fish but only catch and release. I have another long narrow hole just below this with overhanging trees which should be ideal habitat for the yellow belly and to walk along flicking a lure at snags. These fish can breed in the impoundments when there is water flowing through them.View attachment 2177
That's a nice spot y'all have fixed up. Are there a lot of crocs around there? I think that would always be in the back of my mind fishing if those were around. The same way i would be if I was fishing around the Deep South in the US where I knew gators were. I guess if you're used to having them around it wouldn't be as big of a big deal though. That's one thing we don't have to worry about Fishing here in Tennessee.

Gators don't really bother you. Most "wild" gators will shoot underwater and swim away if they think you're approaching. Gators that have been fed by people in the past are a different story though. I've seen them slap their tail, mad that you weren't giving them food. I never feed gators, and don't recommend it. They've lived on the earth longer than us, they don't need help....... my two pennies worth

That's a nice spot y'all have fixed up. Are there a lot of crocs around there? I think that would always be in the back of my mind fishing if those were around. The same way i would be if I was fishing around the Deep South in the US where I knew gators were. I guess if you're used to having them around it wouldn't be as big of a big deal though. That's one thing we don't have to worry about Fishing here in Tennessee.
Next time I am out this spring I will try remember to get you some gator photos.

Next time I am out this spring I will try remember to get you some gator photos.
Thanks CB! I could just see me reaching down to pull a bass outta the water and seein one of those lookin up at me. Not a good situation. Ha ha. I've had snakes follow lures up to the boat, but nothin like that.

I need to get a new outboard. The one on the boat fired. The guy I fish with just wants to go on the Snake River and fish for catfish. We do catch a lot of catfish. However, my wife has declared our house a catfish free zone. There are lots of other places to fish. With fish I would prefer to eat. Mainly irrigation reservoirs. Some are several thousand acres and in the middle of no where. Plenty of fish and no fishing pressure.

I know a few years back someone here asked where Vic was (3waycross). A reply came back saying since he retired he was spending all his time hunting, fishing, and chasing the wife around the house. I am retired. I have plenty of guns and wildlife to hunt. I have a wife to chase. I need an outboard motor so I can go fishing more.

I love fighting reds, but you better have the right equipment and your drag set right. I normally fish with at least 20 lb test, with the drag set well. I like how they run side to side or at the boat. A black drum just goes straight down. Specs don't really fight.
I do agree with you about bass though. My fav is top water for bass. They go crazy in the spring!
CB, you need to come fish with us.... no excuses. I've formally invited you now. We'll go out in the bay boat, or I can even take you to my crappie honey hole. You choose.
Sounds good.

I need to get a new outboard. The one on the boat fired. The guy I fish with just wants to go on the Snake River and fish for catfish. We do catch a lot of catfish. However, my wife has declared our house a catfish free zone. There are lots of other places to fish. With fish I would prefer to eat. Mainly irrigation reservoirs. Some are several thousand acres and in the middle of no where. Plenty of fish and no fishing pressure.

I know a few years back someone here asked where Vic was (3waycross). A reply came back saying since he retired he was spending all his time hunting, fishing, and chasing the wife around the house. I am retired. I have plenty of guns and wildlife to hunt. I have a wife to chase. I need an outboard motor so I can go fishing more.
Is she a fast runner Dave?

Ken

Haha, no. We are well away from crocs here and a bit too cold for them. They don't start until about 1500km north of here but it does look a bit like those billabongs in the top end that are full of them.

Ken

Gators don't really bother you. Most "wild" gators will shoot underwater and swim away if they think you're approaching. Gators that have been fed by people in the past are a different story though. I've seen them slap their tail, mad that you weren't giving them food. I never feed gators, and don't recommend it. They've lived on the earth longer than us, they don't need help....... my two pennies worth
There have been people taken off the reefs where we fish. There are gators usually around the edges but when we get a lot of rain and the bay freshens up they will get out in there pretty far.

The great thing about braided line is you have all the turning power you need with out sacrificing casting. I run pretty light tackle and have had reds get me down where I could see spool. It's fun but hard on reels.

I'm curious how many out there have a favorite fishing hole, and what lengths you go to improve it, or protect it...

I have a "pit", a man made narrow but long lake dug when the Corps of Engineers made the levees back in the 20's and 30's.
spent most of the winter putting Christmas trees/brush so that this spring my favorite sac a lait (crappie outside of Louisiana) hole will again produce..
Anyone else out there go to extreme lengths?
Haven't heard crappie called that in many many years

Haha, no. We are well away from crocs here and a bit too cold for them. They don't start until about 1500km north of here but it does look a bit like those billabongs in the top end that are full of them.

Ken
Gotcha. I wasn't sure how much territory they covered. I would be able to relax a lot better without those around. Sounds like y'all are in a good spot.

Haven't heard crappie called that in many many years
Hear choupique for grinnel as well. We are close enough to the Sabine River. You know the difference between a horses ass and a coon ass is the Sabine. That's what my cousins have always told me. Got a pile of cousins that their last name ends in eaux.

1C709C34-22E7-4DE4-887E-70D391609633.png
I like bream fishing myself, just don't get to fish very often. Caught these in a little cypress sleuth that's about 10 acres, it gets filled and stocked when the white river gets out of its banks in the winter. 14' flat bottom with a 9.9, a jigging pole and some crickets. We caught over 50 the day this pic was taken, there's about 30 on that stringer. Those were the only ones worth keeping.