Fishing

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
So I take the grandson's fishing. My main objective was to catch some perch with the two year old. Pretty much the same routine I did with his older brother 3 years ago; he's now 5 1/2.

They have the kid poles. Perch rigs, cork, and worm. The 5 year old's cork sinks and he sets hook. The fish was taking line. I did not dare take the pole from the kid's hands but reached in and tightened the drag to stop the line from screeching. It didn't do much good. It was about then I realized this wasn't a perch.

The boy reeled in a 2 lb channel cat. He was so proud - You'd have thought he had a 30 lb flat head. It was some fight on that little Spiderman kid's pole made by Shakespear.

This was one of those days neither one of us will forget.

then work called and I had to come in.

the lesson here is never take the phone on a fishing trip....

object of the fishing trip is to get away from phones and such.

Actually I carry my phone when I go riding but I turn it off....that way I have it if I need it.
My excuse is that there was no signal back there in the woods.

I like to take the boys to the pond for a little while in the evenings . It's the only time I can get them to stop fighting . My 7 year old is learning to cast a open face reel . So I spend a lot of the time getting backlashes out .

Thats about the right age when they think the sun rises and sets in PawPaws hat. My grandson and I had many good days fishing like that and it will be something I will never forget. Hope he doesn't either but he's 12 now going on 18 and I sure miss those days when he was attached to my leg. But they grow up and turn into teenagers and nothing's ever the same again.

dont worry he will get to where he likes doing things with you again.my oldest nephew is 25.an when he comes come i usually have to go with him to a cow sale or 2.

I'm guessing it would be tough to decide who enjoyed it more you or him! Those boys will take those memories with them forever, they're lucky to have you (and you to have them).

Childhood memories with Dad or Mum are the best, the ones you can hold in your heart forever and relate back to your own children, nothing better.
Did you get a pic of the fish, for the album. I remember my Sons first catch, how proud he was. The photo has its pride and place in his album.

In Sebastian Fl commercial fishing with my son right now. About all I do is drive the boat and cook, he says l'am to slow. I am blessed.

backhoeboogie":2fgeypzs said:
It was some fight on that little Spiderman kid's pole

This was one of those days neither one of us will forget.

What a precious and wonderful moment! Those are the times to remember when going through tough times. Good time for both of you! wish I could have see both your faces.

Katherine

I remember the first time my Dad let me use a hump back Rebel (blue and silver). Prior to that, I was forever getting hung up and he never got to fish. I caught 2 bluegill with one cast; one in the mouth, the other somehow got snagged in the side. Boy was I excited, and he was too. While trying to get my fish of the hooks, I got a hook buried in the backside of my hand. I remember dad calmly walking to the truck, and coming back with a pair of side cutters (wire cutters). He told me to hold still, and pushed the hook barb on out my skin and snipped the barb off, pulled the hook out. Told me I handled it like a man. I felt good that day. I was 5 years old. Yep, fishing with Dad and Granddad made memories that stick. Granddad never used a modern rig. He always used a cane and bobber

Latest posts