Favorite fishing hole?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
I'm curious how many out there have a favorite fishing hole, and what lengths you go to improve it, or protect it...

I have a "pit", a man made narrow but long lake dug when the Corps of Engineers made the levees back in the 20's and 30's.
spent most of the winter putting Christmas trees/brush so that this spring my favorite sac a lait (crappie outside of Louisiana) hole will again produce..
Anyone else out there go to extreme lengths?

I do to locate your fishing hole.
Have a buddy that loves to map out brush tops for white perch.
Has like 600 of them marked on Rayburn.
He is big into electronics, I can't even remember the type depth finder he has. It will actually show the fish in the tops it's like watching TV.

I used to fish the Missouri. Walleyes. Yellows, Blues and Channel cat. Caught one small mouth.
The Mo is fast big and unforgiving if one is not careful. Those were good times.

I fish the river mostly and have some holes that are full of fish. Can't improve them because winter and spring rains would just wash it away. Seen water at least 15' high in the couple years. Rock is the only thing that stays put.

We are close to the coast so I like running to the bay. Hard to beat standing in the water wating for the first hit as the sun rises.

We have a creek with a couple springs and deep holes that goes thru a family place. We use to wear it out as kids. We pulled some good size cat fish and bass out of it. It's big enough for a small john boat with a paddle or trolling motor. We would out perch trap out to set lines while we bass fished. Had a long of fun camping and partying down there when we were younger.

One off my must have when I have a place of my own is a well stocked stock tank with a water supply. That and a skeet range.

The lakes have gotten so dangerous here you cant hardly fish them. The bays are getting there.

Last edited:
CB, you crazy!?? I love to eat reds! Save 'Em for me if you don't want them, lol

I doubt anyone would find my brush piles. It's on private land, but everyone drives the levee that goes by it. The only thing you can put in that "pit" is either a Jon boat or pirouge.
I can't see anyone having a nice fish finder in their aluminum Jon boat. There's not even a launch, you have to pull up in your pick up and muscle the boat out and in.

they've started stocking public ponds around me with rainbow trout. Not sure why, they die off when the water temps get above 70..... which is most of the year
Love to hear everyone's stories though 😊

Spooner Wisconsin, near Hayward, usually fish points and weed edges, sold the old boat and bought this one, figured it would be my last boat.

Attachments

• 20200922_084541.jpg
    20200922_084541.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
I like chasing these as well.
Not very good eating but fun to catch.
Have you tried them on the half shell?

It's the only way I will eat them and they have to be slot reds... no oversize. Put a light layer of mayo for moisture, some Tony's or some thing with a little kick on it, and then put it in the oven on a cookie sheet. Just watch for meat to start pulling away from the shell, it doesn't take long. The meat just slides off with a plastic fork. It's great as a meal or appetizer with a group.

CB,

Ever seen a bass in brackish water? Last year the son in law caught this green bass on a live shrimp. I like specs and crappie the most. My son likes to fish, so we go a lot. Not many 16 year olds want to spend time with dad, so I'll spend every dollar to be with my last in line.
We're boat poor; a bateau for ponds, a bateau with a 65 hp for fishing smaller lakes, a bay boat for the Louisiana marshes and a party barge to keep the wife happy. All 2nd hands though, I don't have Caustic money.
Green bass and a hawg sac a lait pictured

show me your bigguns!

Attachments

• BD7606A4-E644-4F7D-9611-5ADEA4806AAD.jpeg
    BD7606A4-E644-4F7D-9611-5ADEA4806AAD.jpeg
    555.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 24543673-E6A3-4689-8CA2-EA5DAF207C93.jpeg
    24543673-E6A3-4689-8CA2-EA5DAF207C93.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 11
I grew up pond fishing and love it.

Many years ago my cousin bought a new boat and asked me to go out on the lake with him. We left about 6:00 am and stayed all day long and never even got a strike. As we were loading the boat, he looked at me and said, "You know, as many times as I have been out on this lake, I have never caught a fish." :rolleyes:

Lee,

red on the "half shell" is just when you slice all the way through past the tail like you were fileting, leaving the scales on. BBQ or grill scale down, and it tastes great!
Big reds can get mushy though, and can have worms...

There are a few man made reservoirs in the area that I hit a couple times per month. Truman, Pomme De Terre, and Stockton lake, all flooded rivers. I probably spend the most time chasing walleyes on Stockton, but Pomme has had some killer crappie fishing this year.

There are several private ponds around that I have access to as well, but rarely fish them, I don't get as much enjoyment out of fishing ponds which I've already found out what they have in them. I like the surprise of not knowing what's on the end of your line, that's gone after fishing the same pond a few times.

I don't do anything to improve them, the state puts out new fish attractors every year, basically giant piles of cedar trees. The monster barge that they use to do it is pretty neat.