Favorite quotes

Help Support CattleToday:

I hunted for over 50 years in western Washington. It has or had the highest black bear population per square mile of anywhere in the country. For a lot of those years there was no tag, limit, or season. I have seen lots and lots of bears. But never one while hunting.

I hunted for over 50 years in western Washington. It has or had the highest black bear population per square mile of anywhere in the country. For a lot of those years there was no tag, limit, or season. I have seen lots and lots of bears. But never one while hunting.
Same, I think they're onto us. I saw them plenty while scouting and hiking and driving.

I seen a sow and 3 cubs while unloading diesel in Cumberland KY last week. Way too many bear on the KY/VA border on black mountain. We have a 13,000 acre lease there and most of us rarely shoot a bear. We could but rarely do.

Here is a saying that my grandfather on moms side of the family always said. In fact it is about the only thing I really remember about him. Even though he lived with us for several years. He used to run a lot of sheep, but the banker sold him out, if he had given him one more year he would have came out smelling like a rose. Dad said that, that banker sold a lot of guys out that year. I don't remember what year it was, but I think it was sometime in the late fifties.

Here is his saying. He would point out to me the snow covered ridge we could see from the house, and say how would you like to be out there with nothing but your barbed wire belt and pair of spurs.

When I was young there was one here shot with a 38 and had a 32 in his lap. Suicide. He was messing with another guys wife so I guess that was the difference.
I had an uncle from Bowie County Tx that died for the same reason .
The obit in the paper said he died from injuries received in an automobile accident. Well, it DID happen in an automobile, but weren't no accident.
Shot thru the door of his pickup with a 30.06 rifle while parked across the street from a woman he knew over in NW La . The woman's husband did the deed, standing in his own front yard.

My aunt said she wasn't a bit surprised (uncle was 68 at the time) but she was pretty upset that when she got his nearly new pickup back from the La police, it came back minus driver's side door and La. authorities wouldn't let her have it back..

I think he was a lawyer in addition to being an "activist" so probably not. In India if you're born into a higher caste the only way you'd have to do manual labor is if your family made you do it for character building (I have a buddy from a wealthy Indian family and they made him work so he wouldn't be lazy).

The only Mahatma I know comes in a plastic bag.mahtmarice.jpg.

Here is his saying. He would point out to me the snow covered ridge we could see from the house, and say how would you like to be out there with nothing but your barbed wire belt and pair of spurs.

My father had a similar one. On particularly cold days he'd say "This would be a rough morning to be sitting on a tin roof wearing just a necktie."

My father had a similar one. On particularly cold days he'd say "This would be a rough morning to be sitting on a tin roof wearing just a necktie."
In my opinion any day up on a tin roof is a rough day. Although I made some good money doing metal roofs, or any roof.

In my opinion any day up on a tin roof is a rough day. Although I made some good money doing metal roofs, or any roof.

Not just tin roofs. I'll never forget one day when I was doing carpenter work, and we were replacing an asphalt shingle roof in the summer. The roof had a lot of ridges and valleys, so a lot of sections. The rest of the crew was tearing the old shingles off, and as soon as they finished a section I'd sweep it clean and put down new felt paper. After spending all day walking on that black felt paper with tennis shoes the soles of my feet were so burned it hurt to walk.

Not just tin roofs. I'll never forget one day when I was doing carpenter work, and we were replacing an asphalt shingle roof in the summer. The roof had a lot of ridges and valleys, so a lot of sections. The rest of the crew was tearing the old shingles off, and as soon as they finished a section I'd sweep it clean and put down new felt paper. After spending all day walking on that black felt paper with tennis shoes the soles of my feet were so burned it hurt to walk.
I agree, I have spent many a day up on a roof. It is hard work; I have even had the wheelbarrow up on the roof to haul shingles over to where the dumpster was. I am pretty sure anyone driving by when we push the wheelbarrow up on the roof probably thought we were crazy, but it worked. I come very close to falling off a couple of times. I still do some construction, but in the last few years I have been doing more farming.

. . . I come very close to falling off a couple of times. I still do some construction, but in the last few years I have been doing more farming.

I was about 16' off the ground early one morning and stepped on a patch of frost and started sliding. Luckily I was straight above the ladder, and my coworker was coming up behind me and was still on the ladder. He reached out and grabbed my foot to stop me from sliding.

We decided we had work to do on the ground for a couple hours.

I was about 16' off the ground early one morning and stepped on a patch of frost and started sliding. Luckily I was straight above the ladder, and my coworker was coming up behind me and was still on the ladder. He reached out and grabbed my foot to stop me from sliding.

We decided we had work to do on the ground for a couple hours.
I would not go up on a roof if there was frost on it. I did once try to get on a metal roof was wet. It was a pretty flat slope, but I still was not able to get up on it, had one foot slip. Luckily the other foot was still on the ladder. Another time I got caught in a rainstorm when up on a metal roof, now that will make you pucker; the worse thing was that the ladder was on the other side, and that it was done. That was a scarry one to get off of, you had to walk from screw to screw. I was a lot younger then.

I would not go up on a roof if there was frost on it. I did once try to get on a metal roof was wet. It was a pretty flat slope, but I still was not able to get up on it, had one foot slip. Luckily the other foot was still on the ladder. Another time I got caught in a rainstorm when up on a metal roof, now that will make you pucker; the worse thing was that the ladder was on the other side, and that it was done. That was a scarry one to get off of, you had to walk from screw to screw. I was a lot younger then.

And I wouldn't have gone up on that one if I had known it had frost on it. I couldn't see it, and didn't know it was there.

Here is something my dad used to say when we were working construction.

When I get 15 cents rich I am going to quit this ****.

I guess he never got 15 cents rich because he kept doing it.