fishing pier

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry said:
greybeard said:
Wooden posts?
Drive them with a backhoe or excavator bucket or wash them down are the only ways I know.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "wash them down" mean?

Same thing as 'jetting'. Set the post on the bottom and then you take a trash pump, pressure washer, or something similar and go round and round the bottom of the post. As the dirt is washed away the post will begin to sink. Works good the majority of the time. That's the way we always set them if we are building on a pond or lake that's already full of water. I have also beat many in with just a sledgehammer. But wouldn't recommend it. Too much like real work.

JMJ Farms said:
sstterry said:
greybeard said:
Wooden posts?
Drive them with a backhoe or excavator bucket or wash them down are the only ways I know.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "wash them down" mean?

Same thing as 'jetting'. Set the post on the bottom and then you take a trash pump, pressure washer, or something similar and go round and round the bottom of the post. As the dirt is washed away the post will begin to sink. Works good the majority of the time. That's the way we always set them if we are building on a pond or lake that's already full of water. I have also beat many in with just a sledgehammer. But wouldn't recommend it. Too much like real work.

Thank you!

Watched a group of boat house builders here on lake fork. They had a piece of 6 inch square tubing they drove the post in the bottom of the lake. Similar to a tee post driver only larger. They worked out of a flat bottomed boat. Get some of the plastic barrels you see every where and build one that floats.

If you have access to a nurse tank you can remove its pump and use this to wash your posts in. On the jet end add a length of galvanized pipe so you can do your prodding with this. Keep washing down till you hit a good firm foundation else your dock will settle.

Or do as I did if it's a pond......wait for the next historic drought..........built it in late summer 2011 and never got my feet wet or in a boat.

thanks for the replies. i am replacing one that is getting old and want to make it better. i thought about renting a hydraulic post driver and drive pipe . go a few feet out drive post add runners then deck and continue. what size pipe would you suggest

If you're asking me......I don't use pipe.
I used sawn utility poles, but again, I did mine during drought and with a posthole digger.

papavillars said:
thanks for the replies. i am replacing one that is getting old and want to make it better. i thought about renting a hydraulic post driver and drive pipe . go a few feet out drive post add runners then deck and continue. what size pipe would you suggest

If you're gonna use pipe use a air driver. Or if you don't have any rock a gas driver. Either one you only have to take a 50 - 60 pound driver out in the tank. I've seen plenty built outta 27/8 pipe. I think I'd probably try to use 4" it's certainly big enough, and a couple of guys will still be able to handle it.

no rock but heavy red clay. i will try to rent a gas driver and drive them. probably drive a new fence line first to get the hang of it. thankfully my nephew is a welder by trade and will weld the frame . i am just a shade tree welder.

Not on at that stage was a diagonal that runs from the end down to the bottom of the posts on each side. Rains came within a week of this pic being taken and I haven't seen the bottom of it since.
Except for the center 2x12, everything is creosoted wood. Planked it with 2x6.

He was napping..

Well I'd just back out on the ice with the tractor and post driver and drive them in. You might have to wait for cooler weather :lol:

Latest posts