Fishing

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't recall saying it tasted like beef. Maybe I'm mistaken. If not I'm sure you'll lose all respect for me too. If you have/had any respect for me in the first place.

Dun I am just playing with you. You have all of my respect. Just don't go calling me a Rexall Ranger Showin Cowpoke.

txshowmom":1id6gpd3 said:
Don't recall saying it tasted like beef. Maybe I'm mistaken. If not I'm sure you'll lose all respect for me too. If you have/had any respect for me in the first place.

Dun I am just playing with you. You have all of my respect. Just don't go calling me a Rexall Ranger Showin Cowpoke.

You'll notice I didn't stick my 2-bits in about showing

dun

There is nothing like fresh caught walleye seasoned with a little salt ,pepper and butter on a campfire frying pan.:D

Jackfish ,muskie are fine too.

I just remembered how long its been since I went fishing..........way too long. :cry:

Catfish seems to be the #1 fish here. I feel like I'm missing something :(

As a kid in CA, my Daddy used to take me frog gigging at night. I'd hold the light, he'd spear em. Used an old fridge (when they still had metal inside) and made a smoker. Love them smoked frog legs! As for fish, I like baked halibut ... other seafood, I'd crawl over broken glass for steamed clams.

kjerckie":19lsrcf1 said:
I'd crawl over broken glass for steamed clams.

Aren't there still "Ivers Acres of Clams" places scattered all over the area?

dun

Dun, I am sorry to say that old Ivar past away and "Acres of Clams" places weren't the same after that. I am not sure that they are even in business anymore.
If we are talking seafood nothing beats fired razor clams... well unless it is fresh, as in from the ocean to the steam pot, king crab. Of course you have to go to the middle of no where Alaska to get that. They ship them down but it just isn't the same. Seafood has to be fresh to be really good. If you are more than 50 miles from the coast it ain't fresh. 50 feet from the waters edge it is much better.
Ling cod is to die for. They are ugly as sin but they sure taste good. Every one raves about salmon up here but I consider them scrap fish. Kind of like eating liver, once a year and I have had all I want.
Dave

Dave":37b1sv54 said:
Dun, I am sorry to say that old Ivar past away and "Acres of Clams" places weren't the same after that. I am not sure that they are even in business anymore.
If we are talking seafood nothing beats fired razor clams... well unless it is fresh, as in from the ocean to the steam pot, king crab. Of course you have to go to the middle of no where Alaska to get that. They ship them down but it just isn't the same. Seafood has to be fresh to be really good. If you are more than 50 miles from the coast it ain't fresh. 50 feet from the waters edge it is much better.
Ling cod is to die for. They are ugly as sin but they sure taste good. Every one raves about salmon up here but I consider them scrap fish. Kind of like eating liver, once a year and I have had all I want.
Dave

Hate to say it but I found a few years ago that the seafood was better along the waterfront in San Diego then it was in Seattle. I'm sure there are still a few of the smaller places that do it right, but I didn't find them when I was there last. But that's been over 20 years now. Didn't realize it had been so long till I counted it up.

dun

Getting seafood in any big city is the same. I am sure Seattle isn't any better than New York City. It has been processed, shipped, maybe frozen, thawed. Most commercially caught fish aren't bled or iced which I think you need to do for decent fish of any kind. And fresh is always better when it comes to seafood.
Dave

Years ago resturant on the Tacoma waterfront. Wednsday night was all-you-can-eat seafood for $12.00 or $15.00. I'd go once a month and eat-all-I-could the steamed clams :D
Moved futher away and few years later called to make sure still doing the wednsday's... a lady answered and had no idea what I was talking about :cry: Seems they changed ownership. Now I buy them at the store and do-it-myself.

kjerckie":3r2q57iz said:
Years ago resturant on the Tacoma waterfront. Wednsday night was all-you-can-eat seafood for $12.00 or $15.00. I'd go once a month and eat-all-I-could the steamed clams :D
Moved futher away and few years later called to make sure still doing the wednsday's... a lady answered and had no idea what I was talking about :cry: Seems they changed ownership. Now I buy them at the store and do-it-myself.

We used to just dig them ourselves. As a kid, north of seattle, 20 years ago or so on the Kitsap Penninsula or over on hood canal. Never tried a storebought clam.
On the east coast people used to make a big deal about the clams. The only ones I ever saw over thewre at beach cooks were horse clams. Nasty compared to butter clams.

dun

sidney411":2pkug0ek said:
My absolute favorite fish is cornmeal fried catfish!!! YUMMM!!!! :D I tried to bake it once and it tasted like cr@p but I'd sure like to try Craig-tx's recipie.

OK here goes. My wife informed me that it's broiled, not baked. We both prefer fried most of the time but this makes for a nice change and it is larruping.

Broiled Catfish

Sauce:
2 tblsp. Tomato juice (or catsup)
1-½ tblsp. A1 sauce
¾ tsp. Italian salad dressing (or oil)
dash Tabasco

Preparation:
Line cookie sheet or shallow baking pan w/ foil, spray w/ Pam
Preheat broiler 5 minutes
Place fish skin side down and cover with ½ of sauce
Broil 4-½" to 5" from heat for 4 minutes
Turn fish over, cover with rest of sauce
Broil 4 to 5 minutes or till fillets flake easily with fork

Enjoy!

Craig-TX

I know what Craig is talking about, my wife trys to wean me off fried food once in awhile. She uses a George Foreman grill ( sorry if it sounds like an ad, :oops: ) with just a little seasoning ( salt, pepper for her, with cajan for me ) serve with a B.P. & salad. The fillets ( salmon, catfish, bass, etc ) need to be a little thicker than if you're frying. It's really good but we keep going back to the fried.
;-)