fish ponds and pier finish

Help Support CattleToday:

geish

Reaction score
I need some advice on what finish to use on our pier to protect it from the weather and extend its life. I plan on using Behr. Does anyone have a better recommendation?

We're also planning on putting fish in our pond. We already talked to the county extension agent about what fish we can put in there, but am wanting more practical advice.

What have been your experience with different fish. Our neighbor who also has a pond said he didn't like catfish because they dig into the clay and murkey up the water.
Any other first hand experience advice when it comes to the types of fish to put in?

Thanks in advance.

I can't answer your specific questions but I can say be sure your fish have cover inside the pond - whether it is built by mother nature or by you doesn't matter

we have 50 gallon plastic drums with big holes in them and tires that are wired together to make a maze for the fish
they are kept at the proper height (don't remember now what that is) by metal t posts driven into the bottom of the pond (when it was still empty)

Our floating dock and walk way are all made from treated lumber. Have been there for ten years and still looks good as new.

We stocked with several hundred channel cat and Bass and also some hybrid bluegill.Also put in several perch for the fish to eat.They will multiply real quick.(the perch).
I can't say as i have ever seen the water muddy from the catfish. The water is always clear unless we just got a rain.

We also have old tractor and truck tires, stumps, and even some old fence we took up thrown in the pond. Old trees with the limbs works great.

Some good advise is to never let anyone fish with minnows other than what you take from your own pond.
Minnows from elsewhere ya don't know what kind they are and you will wind up with every kind of junk fish you dont want.

Good luck with your pond

Cal

We keep bass and hybred blugill in one tank and channel cats in another tank. I put 2000 fathead minoows in each tank with the fish for food and feed them Purina fish chow daily. Cover is a must for fish for shade and cover/breeding. I would use marine paint on my dock with a sand additive for non slip safety.

I stocked channel cats, hybrid bluegills and fat head minnows. I've not experienced any muddy water problems from my cats, nor has my brother in his pond. The hybrid bluegills grow to good size, generally won't reproduce and will eat the floating catfish pellets, assuming you plan on doing some feeding. Most folks hereabouts add bass to the combo I listed. Talk with the extension guy or the fingerling supplier about the proper time to stock the bass versus catfish, which can depend on the size of each species that you plan to stock. Don't stock any crappies unless you have many acre feet of water and can put enough fishing pressure on them. Never put yellow cats (aka "flatheads" and "opelousas") in a farm pond/tank. Put some floating debris, such as a few long boards, in the water to assist the fathead minnows in reproduction -- eggs adhere to the boards. Consider a water fertilization program. Also, consider some way of getting aeration, during the summer months especially. As your fish get larger make sure you don't get too many pounds of fish for the available water -- they need to be transferred from the pond to the skillet or grill. You can get fingerlings for a reasonable price from Dunn's Fish Farm (they have a website that you can get to via google) and they deliver about once a month ( in the evening) to Ft. Bend Feed in Rosenberg --- I think they also deliver to Needville or possibly Damon. For large enough orders they will deliver right to your water. As the weather gets hotter and hotter you'll want to study the logistics of getting your fingerlings quickly from the supplier's truck to your water. Expect to see a helluva lot of herons patrolling your water and stealing your small fish. Of course it is against the law to shoot them. ;-)

Is crawfish okay to put in the pond?

Nevermind. I got some info.
County Extension says it's okay, but some stuff on the net says they might bore holes through the clay and cause a leak.

Latest posts