First Tractor Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

south0085":2fvaf4ia said:
Thank you everyone for your input. This is very helpful information.

Boondocks - sorry, I replied on Monday, but apparently it didn't post my reply. I saw your post. Thank you for the safety concern. You are absolutely right about that. A roll-over is something I think about. It's not worth my life to have this hobby farm. We lost someone at our church to a roll-over a while back.

I'm sorry to hear that.

If you are (or anyone else is) looking for a retrofit ROPS, we got ours from justtractorparts.com. (Gotta install the seatbelt and wear it too; roll bar ain't much good otherwise. I caught someone using our tractor without it on. ONCE. They got an earful). If you do need ROPS, check first to see if there is a state program that helps with the cost. I think you may have to take before and after pics and make sure the ROPS meets certain OSHA standards etc. But it was worth it.

If you are (or anyone else is) looking for a retrofit ROPS, we got ours from justtractorparts.com. (Gotta install the seatbelt and wear it too; roll bar ain't much good otherwise. I caught someone using our tractor without it on. ONCE. They got an earful). If you do need ROPS, check first to see if there is a state program that helps with the cost. I think you may have to take before and after pics and make sure the ROPS meets certain OSHA standards etc. But it was worth it.[/quote]

Another government program that the taxpayers have to fund. If you think you need ROPS go out and buy them yourself. Welfare and subsidies are killing this country. I'm not a big fan of seat belts but to each their own. We need to get the government out of our lives.

True Grit Farms":16gnk34u said:
Another government program that the taxpayers have to fund. If you think you need ROPS go out and buy them yourself. Welfare and subsidies are killing this country. I'm not a big fan of seat belts but to each their own. We need to get the government out of our lives.
Where do you think that money's going otherwise? Do you think they'll just stop taking taxes if these farm programs aren't used? I've never been involved in any sort of gov program, but I'd certainly rather someone use some of my tax money to improve their farm rather than fund another urban baby factory.

M.Magis":zx2oji9y said:
True Grit Farms":zx2oji9y said:
Where do you think that money's going otherwise? Do you think they'll just stop taking taxes if these farm programs aren't used? I've never been involved in any sort of gov program, but I'd certainly rather someone use some of my tax money to improve their farm rather than fund another urban baby factory.

I got to agree with m.magis on that... No matter if we use farm programs or not if not they will allocate the funds to some other BS :clap: :tiphat:

It's always the other guy, all you can do is what you can do. So with that reasoning everything is alright as long as I get mine. Step up to the plate and tell the government to pay the debt down instead of giving subsidies and cost shares. With thinking like that we don't stand a chance of turning this country around.

True Grit Farms":3vuq2083 said:
With thinking like that we don't stand a chance of turning this country around.

As long as one party is giving handouts to those who don't work for it ... Turning this country around has been defeated before the fight has started. If there's programs for those that are working I am for it because they are putting in and taking out some of that they have put in. Farming is not cheap and any man/woman that wants to get into farming in my book is a true worker because its not a easy thing to do by any means.

True Grit Farms":1ilpjd6q said:
It's always the other guy, all you can do is what you can do. So with that reasoning everything is alright as long as I get mine. Step up to the plate and tell the government to pay the debt down instead of giving subsidies and cost shares. With thinking like that we don't stand a chance of turning this country around.

If you really think that ROPS subsidizing is the biggest danger facing farmers, I really don't know what to say. Pick your battles, man, pick your battles...
It's a small amount of money and has saved the lives of many farmers. That is a-ok by me.
(How much do you think a seriously disabled farmer costs taxpayers?)
I read that in 2005 alone, 288 farmers were killed in the US due to rollovers. Don't know how many were seriously injured--far more, I'm sure.

Whatever, suck it till it's dry our kids will bail us out. I battle every day to try and do what's right and carry my weight as an American. This country is so easy to steal from its ridiculous. And if y'all want to mooch off the taxpayer go a head. Karma will even the score in the end.

True grit if I remember correctly you yourself posted about getting money from the govt. A farmer getting money from the govt is nothing compared to the gaping wound our elected officials has caused by taking care of non Americans and the Americans that don't work. TG would you prefer the money to go to those that don't eat pork who will never pay taxes hereor a fellow American that's paying taxes and would participate in a program meant for him. Personally I'd rather see every tractor in the US get a govt assisted rops than one pallet of food parachuted to folks that for the most part hate us for what we stand for.

I see your side Sky, and it's not all bad or ill conceived. But why should the taxpayers have to foot the bill? If we all get something for nothing, before long there's going to be nothing to get. I have personally not received a dime from the government since 1996. But I've paid more in taxes than the average American worker ever will. We pay our share and just want to be left alone, but that hasn't worked out very well either.

I see what your saying too.. I look at it like this if someone has a need for something like that chances are they work and have paid into the govt bucket so if you need something why not utilize it not abuse it. If you haven't paid into taxes I don't think you should benefit from any program.

We have a GATE card here in GA. It's an agriculture exemption on sales tax. People abuse the crap out of it, and to me it's just another form of stealing. Being a taxpayer I can't see where I owe anyone anything. I'm against welfare, foodstamps, unemployment and the rest of the government subsidies for freeloaders and deadbeats. Where do you draw the line Sky?

My lines drawn at non residents and those who don't contribute. There is truly no way to stop dishonest people from being dishonest.

If you are going to use it to put out bales I would use a 3 point spike not a fork or buck. Trying to slide under the bale tears up a small tractor. I use a Ford 2000 it is nice in tight spaces in the hay bar and will move a decent size bale. I love my IH 684 was glad to get it back running still need to do some work on the hydraulics.

TG, fyi some of the programs are funded by private foundations. Moreover, my understanding is that they are state-based programs (and primarily in the NE, where due to the terrain, rollovers are the most common). If you don't live in a state that has one, you ain't paying for it so don't worry about it.

Meanwhile, here in NY, my taxes are quite high. Specifically, the schools tax is about killing all of the farms around us. The little upstate towns have run-down housing you can rent for next to nothing, so they are rented by what is locally called "welfarians" (or "woodchucks") who fill them up with kids. Because the houses are run-down, the landlords pay little property tax. Meanwhile, thanks to decades of globalization, local manufacturing is about gone. The state supports local schools less and less, so who keeps the local schools afloat? The farmers in the surrounding rural area, that's who: who pay through the nose in property taxes which go directly to the local school district. So if some farmer here needs a little help to put on a ROPS so that s/he can safely farm and try to put food on the table while paying property taxes as if he's a factory, you better believe I have zero, as in ZERO, as in Z.E.R.O. problem with that farmer getting some ROPS help. I don't want anyone else to lose their dad like my friend did at a young age.

Your values are not mine, and your priorities are not mine. That doesn't make either of us right, or wrong. :tiphat:

boondocks":15n5i6hi said:
TG, fyi some of the programs are funded by private foundations. Moreover, my understanding is that they are state-based programs (and primarily in the NE, where due to the terrain, rollovers are the most common). If you don't live in a state that has one, you ain't paying for it so don't worry about it.

Meanwhile, here in NY, my taxes are quite high. Specifically, the schools tax is about killing all of the farms around us. The little upstate towns have run-down housing you can rent for next to nothing, so they are rented by what is locally called "welfarians" (or "woodchucks") who fill them up with kids. Because the houses are run-down, the landlords pay little property tax. Meanwhile, thanks to decades of globalization, local manufacturing is about gone. The state supports local schools less and less, so who keeps the local schools afloat? The farmers in the surrounding rural area, that's who: who pay through the nose in property taxes which go directly to the local school district. So if some farmer here needs a little help to put on a ROPS so that s/he can safely farm and try to put food on the table while paying property taxes as if he's a factory, you better believe I have zero, as in ZERO, as in Z.E.R.O. problem with that farmer getting some ROPS help. I don't want anyone else to lose their dad like my friend did at a young age.

Your values are not mine, and your priorities are not mine. That doesn't make either of us right, or wrong. :tiphat:

Welfare is welfare never seen anyone not try to justify their welfare dollars.
It's just the other guys that is bad not mine mentality.

wacocowboy":1g9zgzbt said:
If you are going to use it to put out bales I would use a 3 point spike not a fork or buck. Trying to slide under the bale tears up a small tractor. I use a Ford 2000 it is nice in tight spaces in the hay bar and will move a decent size bale. I love my IH 684 was glad to get it back running still need to do some work on the hydraulics.

The problem I foresee with a bale spear instead of a fork that slides under the bales is that in a worst case scenario you may not not be able to get the tractor loose if a bale is frozen solid to the ground and doesn't give :idea:

I had one of the green Farmmaster? bale forks on my Fordson Major diesel in the winter of '96-'97. Ice formed from earlier snow that partially melted preceded the deep snow that hung around all winter. The ice built up to where it was hard to get under the bales. I'd back into the bale in my faster road gear in order to break the bale loose.

If the bale fork stuck in the bale to the point where I couldn't drive away and try it again, the tractor was stuck there. Then I walked back to the house and got the snowblower tractor to pull the Major out. Must have done that a dozen times that winter. I was working alone and certainly got my exercise walking back and forth to get and retrieve tractors :roll:

I eventually gave up trying to feed with the Major. Although it was a PIA to switch back and forth from the bale unroller/snowblower on the 8600, I got pretty good at it. I could always break the bales loose with the larger tractor, but it wasn't easy either. I'd grip the bale firmly with the unroller, and then ease into the clutch until the front wheels of the tractor were a few inches off the ground. Release clutch and repeat. Sometimes it took several tries. Always left part of the bale there :???:

Round bales are hard on any small tractor in ideal conditions, let alone in snow/ice/mud. But you need to be able to get under the bales or at some point you will tear the bales up too :idea:

Bigfoot":3uuzj59o said:
I believe that's how I would feed it. Just giving them what they'd clean up a couple times a day. You can build a decent feeder with lumber for small squares to. If you limit feed square bales, and supplement that, I bet you'd end up spending less than you would on rolled hay.
this is what I feed square bales out of when I have to lot one of mine. Throw anything they drag out back in with a pitch fork.

Bigfoot":1htcn9bp said:
I wish I had that. Metal is too high here to try and make something.

I built my round bale feeder for around 200 bucks in materials.
PM Boggie he made a bunch out of old trampoline frames he was given.

Latest posts