First time getting custom feed milled

Help Support CattleToday:

ny_grass":1h66iild said:
Limomike":1h66iild said:
I guess its up to you whether you want to spend your money on that or not.

What do you mean? Spend my "money on that or not" as opposed to what? Do you recommend another, simplier, cheaper formula?
This one comes to $260/ton (that's probably not cheap but it's the cheapest around here - that I know of at least).

Thanks

At last week's prices that mix would be $210 a ton here. Here is what the OSU calculator says:

NUTRIENT COMPOSITION REQUIREMENT
AS FED DRY NRC STATUS
NEm Megcal/CWT. 84.13 95.20 +
NEg Megcal/CWT. 55.25 62.51 +
TDN % 77.18 87.33 +
Fat 3.71 4.20 +
Crude Fiber 2.94 3.33 +
ADF 4.73 5.35
NDF 11.05 12.51
eNDF 23.62 26.72
Crude Protein % 13.15 14.88 20.07 DEFICIENT
Potassium % 0.69 0.78 0.65 ADEQUATE
Calcium % 1.07 1.21 1.01 ADEQUATE
Phosphorus % 0.33 0.37 0.43 DEFICIENT
Magnesium % 0.15 0.17 0.1 ADEQUATE
Sulfur % 0.19 0.21 0.1 EXCESSIVE
Cobalt ppm 0.12 0.13 0.1 EXCESSIVE
Copper ppm 13.43 15.2 8 EXCESSIVE
Iron ppm 85.53 96.8 50 ADEQUATE
Manganese ppm 19.15 21.7 40 ADEQUATE
Selenium ppm 0.16 0.18 0.2 ADEQUATE
Zinc ppm 21.51 24.3 30 ADEQUATE

ny_grass":1gj48cuw said:
HerefordSire":1gj48cuw said:

It's funny, this post everyone seems to be steering me toward getting them hay and forgoing the feed.

I wanted them to be all grass-fed but their condition was so poor that people thought grain was necessary.

I believe you are the person who posted pics of very hungry cows with the fairly new pole barn with a tin (green?) roof and some plank walled pens some time back.

If you are not then my apologies.

If you are - read on.

In fact you are getting advice that is valuable if you have cows that are in good condition.

Yours are / were not.

Your animals while not totally starved out - were in very bad shape - making your situation far different from what many here may realize.

Is the feed you bought expensive?

Yes.

Is the feed you bought necessary?

In my opinion yes.

Is it more expensive to bring a cow back than keep her in decent shape?

Yes.

Look - people talk money because that is what cows are supposed to do - make you money.

In this case money is not the answer.

Bringing them back to decent condition and out of the boney state they were in is the important job.

Keep doing what you are doing.

You put them in that condition and now you need spend the money to bring them back.

If it was summer time the grass would be the best - it is winter - lousy hay and decent grain will give you conditioning.

Ignore any negativity here on the cost and continue to do the right thing - or as I once stated - get rid of the cows.

Bez+

dun":1foktnlr said:
Like Bez said, feed the grain and get them back into condition

Grain will be necessary to get a cow back into condition.

That said, it is expensive to put condition on a cow even while grain is probably the cheapest way to do it.

Wondering this . . . would you be money ahead to start over? I just took a poor doing cow to the sale barn and got $450. Bred commercial cows in decent condition are going about $600-700.

If this is a business - money may not be the answer, but it's always the point. Grain will be the cheapest way to get these cows back in shape but may still not be the best financial decision - unless it is the best financial decision. :?

I remember the cows. Bez and Dun are both right. He has to feed grain and he needs to keep the soybean meal. I recommended selling the cows, watching TV this winter, and buying cows in good condition in the Spring. Since he decided to keep them, for the cows to survive this winter and come out of it in better condition than they went into it (BCS 2) it is going to cost some money.......though a lot less money than losing the investment and/or having to lawyer up in response to a Humane Society complaint.

Here's an alternative: Feed that ration to your calves. Start them slow. Say 4 lbs /day and add 2 lbs. / week. Vaccinate them for overeating etc. and IBR, BVD PI3

Feed your cows corn and soybean meal. Corn... 15 lbs + / day until back in shape with 2lbs of bean meal/ head on top of it. This should save you money and get the job done. The corn doesn't even have to be cracked.

Oh and feed your hay essentially free choice like you have been. Oh and give them a good free choice loose mineral. Not a block.

ny_grass":2qa2pp8b said:
HerefordSire":2qa2pp8b said:
What does good quality hay run there? It would probably cheaper than high dollar feed? Correct?

I'm less than a month from running out of the hay we made off my property (the stuff that's 6.5% protein). I have 500 bales reserved with a local guy. I don't expect it'll be any better. Off my property, I pay $1.25. For the other stuff. I'll pay $2/bale. I've seen hay advertised for as much as $4/bale.

It's funny, this post everyone seems to be steering me toward getting them hay and forgoing the feed.

I wanted them to be all grass-fed but their condition was so poor that people thought grain was necessary. Perhaps, after I go through this next 1000lbs of feed, I'll see how they look. If they're better, then I might switch them to better hay.

Here are the numbers:

Poor quality hay with feed:
10 bales/day = $20
50 lbs feed/day = $7
~$27/day

High quality hay at $3/bale (with no feed):
10 bales/day = $30

I assume you gave the nutritionist all the details about your cattle, your poor quality hay etc, so by all means do what he recommended, otherwise you wasted your time and his. Keep in mind also that hay does not replace grain nor does grain replace hay. In your situation you need both. The hay is little more than filler so the additional protein will help, as well as the high energy of the feed he formulated for you. As for the various trace minerals I don't really see anything I'd consider "excessive" in them. 13-15 ppm copper is "sheep feed levels" so definitely nothing to worry about. Give the cattle the grainand make the hay available free choice. You'll see the payoff with better conditioned cattle, higher milk production for any that are nursing calves and quicker breedbacks.

Best Wishes.

I agree with Bez ,Dun TB etc. If you told your nutritionist everything , and even better if he/she came out to see your cattle and operation and had all feed testes. YES, do as they say that is what they are there for. As has been posted countless times if you are unsure ,especially if your cows are in poor condition consult a nutritionist and consult a vet to get your cattle where they should be.

Good luck with them I hope you can get them back into condition without costing you too much $$'s.. :tiphat:

You're on the right track.

Howabout a few 'after' pics in a few months?

Kudos to you for taking advice given, seeking out a nutritionist and testing the hay. You're getting a good education.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":1susfv5e said:
You're on the right track.

Howabout a few 'after' pics in a few months?

Kudos to you for taking advice given, seeking out a nutritionist and testing the hay. You're getting a good education.

Katherine

Thanks to everyone who's written in with advice. I've not really had a chance to process it the last day. I'm not changing anything; they are on the 14% mix that I posted earlier and still getting the 10-11 bales of hay a day. I'll post some pics as soon as my camera gets here; they're (obviously) not back to where they should be but they're definitely moving in the right direction now.

I look forward to seeing pictures. I think all of us here at Cattle Today want to cut costs and raise a good animal we are proud of, I know sometimes I am overwhelmed with the price of things. Get those cows fed and bred and get on with it..best wishes sincerely, donna

donnaIL":39gxfmo9 said:
I look forward to seeing pictures. I think all of us here at Cattle Today want to cut costs and raise a good animal we are proud of, I know sometimes I am overwhelmed with the price of things. Get those cows fed and bred and get on with it..best wishes sincerely, donna

Thanks, Donna ;-)

Latest posts