First time AI help

Help Support CattleToday:

My question would be how many are you going to do? I sync everything don't have time to check them twice a day. Good advice here for different situations. If I was gonna sync them I wouldn't use TAI that could get discouraging with results, patch them watch them over 2 days breed when needed.

bse said:
My question would be how many are you going to do? I sync everything don't have time to check them twice a day. Good advice here for different situations. If I was gonna sync them I wouldn't use TAI that could get discouraging with results, patch them watch them over 2 days breed when needed.

I agree with Ken, natural heats to start with as you can get tricky ones and the last thing you need is to feel under pressure. But adding to the above post if you are struggling with heat detection you can do a program and have an ai tech come in and you do one here and there while he does the rest and guides your prep technique. Once you get your first few stuck you will get a confidence kick and wont look back.

sounds like your instructor left out one of the most important steps of AI. he/she may have thought everyone in class knew signs of heat. I would contact your instructor for some help, or previous comment are a good way to get you started. If you see a cow standing while another cow is riding her, that is the best way to know see is in heat. cows walk more when in heat and smell the vagina of other cattle during the heat cycle. not all cows act the same so experience will be your best teacher. I like to breed a couple of hours after they stop standing to be mounted. If you see a blood discharge about 36 hours after breeding, that is ideal. at least you will know she was in heat and the timing should have been within the AI preferred breeding range. Good Luck

I would look for discharge, mounting, and restlessness. Without any other heat detection system, that is all you really have to go on.

Unless you are using sexed semen, I lean on breeding early rather than later.

We use the morning heat, AI at night, vice versa system, and it works well. But lately, I've been leaning towards breeding as soon as I see the activity I mentioned above.

Even with our heat detection system, I still go out and stand amongst them and watch what they are doing.

It's too expensive not to check off as many signs as possible before you AI.

JMJ Farms said:
True Grit Farms said:
Don't be shy, if you think a cow you bred already is in heat again breed her again. Semen is cheap.

Vince, are you doing your own AI work?

I had big plans partnering up with Cook's Cattle Services, selling semen for Select Sires and doing AI work throughout middle and south Georgia. Ended up being to much of a real job and very time consuming. I came to the conclusion that I'm to old, and decided to do what I want when I want. If you need any help just call.

************* said:
I would look for discharge, mounting, and restlessness. Without any other heat detection system, that is all you really have to go on.

We use the morning heat, AI at night, vice versa system, and it works well. But lately, I've been leaning towards breeding as soon as I see the activity I mentioned above.

Even with our heat detection system, I still go out and stand amongst them and watch what they are doing.

Are you getting better conception rates breeding during the onset of standing heat? I have had some sim angus cows be in standing heat for over 24 hours and it kind of makes it confusing.

kentuckyguy said:
************* said:

Are you getting better conception rates breeding during the onset of standing heat? I have had some sim angus cows be in standing heat for over 24 hours and it kind of makes it confusing.

Lately I have been.

Many will disagree with what I'm getting ready to say, but the weather seems to have had an effect on the heats. Some are lasting 6 hours, some 20, they are all over the place.

So in order to deal with that, I spoke with my ABS rep David McGlothlin and he told me to get a straw in them sooner rather than later, I did so and things improved dramatically.

By the way, if you don't know David, YOU SHOULD! He is top notch and knows his business well.

Also, I've had them in heat for 30 hours before, but if I can catch them in the first 2-3 hours and get a straw in them, it's usually successful.

I may try putting a straw in some early and then hit them again if they are still standing 12 hours later. I usually don't have over $25 a straw in semen so putting 2 straws in them wouldn't be a huge deal.

kentuckyguy said:
I may try putting a straw in some early and then hit them again if they are still standing 12 hours later. I usually don't have over $25 a straw in semen so putting 2 straws in them wouldn't be a huge deal.

I've done that before. The guy that does my AI work said that he had done it in the past on his dairy herd.

I certainly don't see anything wrong with it.

kentuckyguy said:

In every group of 10 cows/heifers there is going to be one that has an odd estrus cycle. It happens every breeding season. You cannot afford to mess up your calving window so it is best to breed am AND pm if you cannot pin down her estrus cycle.

Went to feed this morning and saw a heifer jumping on an open cow. https://postimg.cc/njz3TRMb I am assuming the cow being mounted is standing. Her AAA # 18095576

Yes sir, she's in solid standing heat.
I'd breed her 6 hours after the photo was taken, but nothing wrong with breeding her now...
a bull would. (assuming you want a calf on Christmas Day)

Thank you. It will be my first ai outside of class. I am gonna wait. Want February March calves.

This is a good sign, you have her logged now so you just need to write it in a diary and watch her starting from 18 days time, when she comes in again write it down, then you will be aware of when to expect her for breeding. I try and log all my heifers for first breeding for three months leading up to breeding. Returning cows are harder because you really want to get them on their second heat after calving. Some come back cycling in 20 days, some 100. I average 30.

I purchased her open. I later found out she wasn't breeding back . This was a great sign

Well ---- if she wasn't breeding back, doesn't mean she wasn't cycling. Cows can cycle with a good standing heat - but just will not get pregnant for whatever reason. If she has a history of not breeding, I wouldn't put expensive semen in her or get disappointed if she doesn't settle.

Latest posts