Help/tips inseminating hiefers

Help Support CattleToday:

Redgully

Reaction score
Does anyone have good tips for starting in the cervix of heifers. Ive been doing my own a.i. for a few years now and getting quite good at it. Maybe one in ten cows i wont get through cervix but can pretty much always get a start. But i really struggle with heifers. I can get gun to cervix and feel the grating of the entrance but in 50% of cases i cant get started in the cervix. When i do i can mostly get through.

Is there anything im missing here. I move tip of gun left, right, up and down. Wiggle it a bit, try not touching cervix, holding cervix, pulling it forward, pushing it back. Ive even tried going early and late which makes no difference.

I see techs go in and get through in seconds. Any help would be appreciated.

I definitely feel your pain. the techs breed day after day so they had probably seen just about everything. last year I had my tech breed a heifer that I could not get through the last ring. generally he is in and out and I feel like an idiot for not getting through on my own. to my surprise, he had trouble also. after about 10 minutes, he pulled out and changed sheaths to a special sheath with some kind of hook on the end. after another lengthy attempt, he finally claimed he made it through. she did settle and I did not have any problem getting through her this year. Okay, back to your question, the only thing I can add to what you already try is pull your gun back a bit and rub your thumb over the entrance to the cervix. sometimes you can feel that little indentation. occasionally the opening may be just off to one side and not at the end of the cervix. I have also found that breeding early before the cervix starts closing helps. Do you massage the uterus a bit before inserting the gun? that helps line the cervix and opening. I will look forward to hearing other advise if posted. good luck

I generally like doing heifers but will usually get one or two each year I can't get all the way through however I have had good results depositing it in the cervix. I think when you do have problems like this you beat yourself up a bit and put pressure on yourself. I like doing heifers because everything is neat and tidy and with my old hands grasping the cervix is a lot easier than old cows. I would double check your alignment that the gun is in a straight line with the cervical as things are so precise with them. I also have had success with leaving a difficult one until the next session when the cervix might open and relax a bit more.

Ken

When I said session I mean if I couldn't get through in the am to try her again in the afternoon. or even around lunchtime, often makes a difference.
I always synch them with cidrs but inseminate after heat detecting not fixed time AI.

Ken

Latest posts