Gomer's help

Help Support CattleToday:

Bum Steer

Reaction score
So, who is using a vasectomized bull to aid in heat detection? Went from Jan- Feb Calving to March - April which means AI'ing / heat detecting some cows on grass which is a challenge. I've heard of / seen some of the other nasty surgical male procedures, want no part of that. Thoughts on vasectomies??

many years ago we used vasectomized bulls for heat detection...used bulls out of our own herd so they had the same bugs as the females and no disease introduction....

you need to put a marker on them so they mark the cows or you will still miss the quiet heats...

have not used one since the introduction of lutalyse back in late 70s.

How many cows are you trying to get bred? Vasectomized bulls aren't generally cost effective compared to synchronizing, preg checking, and resynching the open cows.

Not what your asking, but I'll comment.

I turned a 1000 lb Holstein cross steer out with my heifers early this spring. I more needed a place to stick him until his big day at the butcher, but he was a heat checking sob.
He would start following a cow around about 8 hours before she would stand. He was even banded at a couple days old, so I was kind of surprised he had the drive that he did.

T & B farms said:

I turned a 1000 lb Holstein cross steer out with my heifers early this spring. I more needed a place to stick him until his big day at the butcher, but he was a heat checking sob.
He would start following a cow around about 8 hours before she would stand. He was even banded at a couple days old, so I was kind of surprised he had the drive that he did.

Never thought of it before, but most holstein steers would probably do just as well as a gomer. They're notorious for riding in feedlots. Jerseys are just as goofy and people will darn near give them away around here.

My 4 month old bull calf is already heat checking, and my two steers (1 and 2 years old) do as well.. Bull gets really mad if the older steer ever even thinks of riding a cow.

Buck Randall said:
How many cows are you trying to get bred? Vasectomized bulls aren't generally cost effective compared to synchronizing, preg checking, and resynching the open cows.
AI ing about 20. You do have a valid point about cost however my main concerns are using precious $100 semen and keeping my calving season tight.

T & B farms said:

Even though castrated small quantities of testosterone is produced by the adrenal glands...a 'heat detecting' steer works well.

We used a gomer when AI was first allowed in the early 70's, He was a heat-seeking missile and resulted in a lot of successful AI attempts. I have considered doing that again in conjunction with the Moo Monitor system for a higher level of accuracy. Heats according to my own experience and in discussions with my vet and other breeders are becoming tougher to spot, why I don't know, but they are, and it makes things all the more difficult in AI, hence the importance of a gomer in my opinion. Our gomer bull back in the day had a penectomy, but I would prefer a vas deferens gomer going forward if we go that route.

************* said:
We used a gomer when AI was first allowed in the early 70's, He was a heat-seeking missile and resulted in a lot of successful AI attempts. I have considered doing that again in conjunction with the Moo Monitor system for a higher level of accuracy. Heats according to my own experience and in discussions with my vet and other breeders are becoming tougher to spot, why I don't know, but they are, and it makes things all the more difficult in AI, hence the importance of a gomer in my opinion. Our gomer bull back in the day had a penectomy, but I would prefer a vas deferens gomer going forward if we go that route.

I think there's a procedure where the penis is tied back as well.. don't know what it's called though

I will say that back when we used the vasectomy gamers I had great conceptions....and yes we checked them to make sure they were sterile...professors said the presence of the bull was a factor but did not have the same sucess with penectomy Bulls. Penectomy Bulls also lose interest in the process all together.

pdfangus said:
I will say that back when we used the vasectomy gamers I had great conceptions....and yes we checked them to make sure they were sterile...professors said the presence of the bull was a factor but did not have the same sucess with penectomy Bulls. Penectomy Bulls also lose interest in the process all together.

Vasectomized bulls get rewarded for their work; the tie-backs, sidewinders, and penectomy bulls learn to quit trying or find another outlet for their frustrations.

Had a neighbor who pumped an open cow each year with some Vet approved drugs and the cows did a great job. Once the season is over the cow times out on the drugs and is culled.

I have used a cull cow before (years ago when we managed another herd). I believe we kept her shot up with testosterone. Would have to get from the vet and find out the dosage. Worked extremely well. We put a chin marker on her.

Latest posts