First time AI help

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
Took an ABS AI course last month. Did live cow practice , now I am going to try and AI my own cows. Still have a few questions. Which protocol should I use ? Some people tell me just to watch my cows and when they are in heat 12 hours later AI. No Lutalyse or Protocol needed ? Being my first time what's the best way to LEARN . Thanks

Natural heats requires being able to spend the time heat detecting. I don't worry about the hours much if she is in heat in the morning breed in the evening. If she is in heat in the evening breed the next morning. If you fix time don't set up more than you can handle first time out of the gate.

My heifer was breathing heavy and standing away from the heard. So I assume she was in standing heat correct ?

So another observation I had. Was one of my heifers was mounting about her heifer. Was that heat?

Lrj505 said:
Took an ABS AI course last month. Did live cow practice , now I am going to try and AI my own cows. Still have a few questions. Which protocol should I use ? Some people tell me just to watch my cows and when they are in heat 12 hours later AI. No Lutalyse or Protocol needed ? Being my first time what's the best way to LEARN . Thanks

Breeding on natural heats has about a 10 % higher conception rate. Using patches or chalk to track heats is beneficial. When doing observed heats, you breed 8 to 12 hours after the on-set of standing estrus.

If you decide to set the cows up on timed AI, I like the 7 day protocol.

Doesn't seem you were listening very well while attending the tech part of the class. The board expert has chimed in so I am happy to bow out.

Red Bull Breeder makes a good point, it sounds like you might have been sleeping in class.

It is absolutely essential that you are able to determine when females are in estrus.

I suggest reading your manual, then come back with some questions.

To work out if a cow is in heat she will have clear mucus from her vagina, sometimes a lot sometimes not much. They come in heat every 18 to 24 days so if you suspect a heat but are not confident watch her from 18 days later. The surest sign is if she stands for another cow. A cow will never stand and let another cow mount her if she isn't in heat. As soon as you notice this wait four or five hours and inseminate. If you notice a blood discharge you are too late as she was in heat 1 to 3 days before but that is a good starting point to watch that cow in 16 days time. If you spend 10 minutes in the morning and 10 in the evening walking around your cows you will get to know exactly whats going on.

Lrj505 said:
They didn't go over natural heats only protocols .

Branded can hook you up with a heat detection monitoring system. I use the estro patches, if you spot one of those getting worn off or totally worn, pay attention to your cow or heifer, look or discharge all the "I need mounted" behavior. Heifers can be really tough, last year I gave up on one and sent her to the neighbors to get breed by his bull. The patches aren't full proof, but it does give you and indication more often than not.

Lrj505 said:
They didn't go over natural heats only protocols .

I was serious. You must be able to identify estrus behavior. I remember you from previous posts. The class I took included a full discussion of estrus behavior.

I will repeat. Get a good manual. The Select Sires manual is on their website. It has an excellent section on primary and secondary estrus behavior. Go to Select Sires website. The manual is there.

Dr Les Anderson from UK also has a very good YouTube video that explains estrous in cattle very well.

I took my AI class under him and he did an excellent job.

Lrj505 said:
Your a dick

He can't help himself, he was born that way. Everyone is an idiot except him, he knows everything about everything. If you don't believe it, just ask him, he'll tell ya.

To answer your original question, I would definitely go with just doing them on observed heats but get some patches to help you out. With observed heats you get to ease into putting into practice what you learnt. If you synchronise them you will have a group to do all at once, if things don't go as you planned you may get into a panic and not be able to do any.

Most importantly get organised, set things out on a table and rehearse the preparation before hand. It is important that you have the thawing and loading under control so that you don't get flustered and can relax and take your time to do the actual insemination. This is why I recommend the doing them as you observe heats rather than synchronise several together.

Remember it takes a lot of practice and each one is different, take your time and work through it.

Ken

Latest posts