First Registered Bull sold!

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Well I have taken the next step in my transition to raising registered stock. I have sold my first registered Blancer bull. I had 2 but cut one that didn't make meet my standards. I really like the epd numbers and pedigree of the one that I sold. For the Gelbvieh folks interested his reg # is AMGV1180132. I got a better than expected price from a commercial cattleman looking for a bull he could use on heifers and mature cows and one that could create some replacement heifers. He was really happy with the bull. In a few months I am going to go visit him and check up on how the bull is performing. I am going to transition from commercial to registered slowly so that I don't fall on my face but I think it is important to build a good reputation first instead of just being known as a quantity breeder.

Congrats HOSS! Are you working towards a registered gelbvieh herd or will you focus mostly on balancers or a little of both?

circlew":vnbq1y14 said:
Congrats HOSS! Are you working towards a registered gelbvieh herd or will you focus mostly on balancers or a little of both?

circlew, I plan on doing both mostly focusing on purebred. In this area it is harder to find a purebred than a balancer. I have had several calls from folks looking for purebred bulls. Allot of the commercial guys around here want to put a purebred bull on mostly angus based cows. Some of the bigger seed stock breeders here told me that they raise more Balancer because registered angus females are easier to find. I will never be a big player so quantity is not in the cards. I can buy a few purebred females just not alot of them.

Remember that a sharp knofe is your best tool at building a reputation for good stock

dun":2s8md7mn said:
Remember that a sharp knofe is your best tool at building a reputation for good stock

Absolutley! That is why I cut 50% of my registered calves............of course there was only 2 of them to begin with :mrgreen:

Hoss I think you have the right attitude and you are going about things the correct way. If your reputation is built up good you will be known as a quality breeder. I also like your breed choices. The smart cross of gelbvieh bulls on angus cows have worked well for me for years. Good Luck.

congrats on selling your 1st reg bull.i know how excited you are.im using the 1st 2 reg bulls i kept an rasied.an im sure happy with the calves they are throwing.

HOSS":wpnqdfx2 said:
Well I have taken the next step in my transition to raising registered stock. I have sold my first registered Blancer bull. I had 2 but cut one that didn't make meet my standards. I really like the epd numbers and pedigree of the one that I sold. For the Gelbvieh folks interested his reg # is AMGV1180132. I got a better than expected price from a commercial cattleman looking for a bull he could use on heifers and mature cows and one that could create some replacement heifers. He was really happy with the bull. In a few months I am going to go visit him and check up on how the bull is performing. I am going to transition from commercial to registered slowly so that I don't fall on my face but I think it is important to build a good reputation first instead of just being known as a quantity breeder.

Good on ya Hoss :tiphat: Now you can spend the next year worrying about his performance and whether or not he will drop dead next week.....ask me how I know these things.

congrats hoss hope you sell many more. i might give you a call someday when i need another bull. will you ship to indiana, not many gelbveih breeders here.

3waycross":1s9wvyux said:
HOSS":1s9wvyux said:

Good on ya Hoss :tiphat: Now you can spend the next year worrying about his performance and whether or not he will drop dead next week.....ask me how I know these things.

Ouch! I bet there is a doozy of a story lurking there 3way :mrgreen:

angusdave63":3tcnpa8h said:
congrats hoss hope you sell many more. i might give you a call someday when i need another bull. will you ship to indiana, not many gelbveih breeders here.

Anything is possible for a price :lol: :cboy:

Latest posts