First cow (cow's third calf) was due second

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeJoel

Reaction score
We got a ?5? year old cow, jersey mix (seems quite docile, I have been sitting in with her while she eats to get her used to me being there). Leads, while unwillingly sometimes, goes along all the same with pulling to get her started.

I noticed today what appears to be (dark) mucous hanging like a rope, didn't seem elastic though.
She is up and walking (even skipping about) and eating.

Is this a sign of it being soon?

Also I don't know if it means anything at all. Yesterday I noticed her pelvic bones seemed to protrude more than she had been. Like I said this is our first cow and I was wondering if these were signs of anything.

She does seem to be bagging up but not tremendously, just the utter looks more full and is firm now compared to what it was.

Thank you
Michael

MikeJoel":1o2qbn1r said:
We got a ?5? year old cow, jersey mix (seems quite docile, I have been sitting in with her while she eats to get her used to me being there). Leads, while unwillingly sometimes, goes along all the same with pulling to get her started.

I noticed today what appears to be (dark) mucous hanging like a rope, didn't seem elastic though.
She is up and walking (even skipping about) and eating.

Is this a sign of it being soon?

Also I don't know if it means anything at all. Yesterday I noticed her pelvic bones seemed to protrude more than she had been. Like I said this is our first cow and I was wondering if these were signs of anything.

She does seem to be bagging up but not tremendously, just the utter looks more full and is firm now compared to what it was.

Thank you
Michael

All it means is she's closer then she was. Each cow is different on the preperation steps to calving, some change year to year.

dun

I wouldn't sweat it, she should calve just fine, as long as she isn't bred to some hard calving bull, keep an eye on her, she'll be alright. :D

The breeder had bred her to a shorthorn so I guess it is just going to be a red calf, but mainly we are interested in getting milk. Next time we will have control of the breeding.

Do cows bellow a bit before or going into the labor period?
(Some noise would help me notice better since a trip to the barn at night wakes up almost all the animals :) )

Michael

KMacGinley":2vi0hoio said:
I wouldn't sweat it, she should calve just fine, as long as she isn't bred to some hard calving bull, keep an eye on her, she'll be alright. :D

MikeJoel":1j4sc67t said:
Do cows bellow a bit before or going into the labor period?
(Some noise would help me notice better since a trip to the barn at night wakes up almost all the animals :) )

Michael

Some do, some don't. When she has her tail in the air, is wandering around alot, or isolating herself, are a few indicators that she is getting pretty close. Otherwise, the best sign is the waterbag and feet :)

Basically - until someone can actually speak "cow" - when the calf hits the ground is when God and Mother Nature tell us the calf was due.

Until that time there is no way to predict - talk and signs and such are all just indicators that something is happening. But no one can predict "what that something is".

Wait for the calf and you will have your answer.

Any other talk is wasted energy and worry that is not required.

This has been happening for many 100's of 1000's of years without our input.

It'll be there on its' schedule not the breeders or some book's schedule.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Bez!

Not yet.
She is definitely (or as definitely as I can tell) dilating.

I have a feeling it is going to be a while. So it will probably come tonight LOL.

Mike

Latest posts