first car...

Help Support CattleToday:

First car...1929 Model A 2 door sedan... First car that ran... 1958 Chevy Apache stepside. 235 six and three on the tree. We finally got the Model A running the summer between my soph and junior years. It had to be taken down to the frame and completely rebuilt. Steering and rearend out of a 40 Ford. (Hydrolic brakes) Kept the spoked wheels. 12 volt electrical system and a downdraft carb were the only changes we made. Hey...I was the first kid in school with straight from the factory bucket seats.Z

flaboy?":39j877mg said:
I forget what year it was but it was a Rambler Metropolitan. Anyone remember them?

I had a job offer on a ranch as a "do it all" guy at 16. I needed a way to get there but my folks had no money so I worked for a guy digging a ditch for him all weekend and he gave me the car for the work. It did not run and hadn't for several years. I got it on Sunday afternoon and had it running Monday afternoon.

I drove it back and forth to work all summer and then to school (how embarrassing :oops: ) for another year.
yep i remember them well. dont be ashamed you had every right to be embarrassed :p

Had a girl friend (as opposed to girlfriend) in high school whose Dad bought her one of those little cars that the front end opened up to get in and out of. The back tires were about two ft. apart. Looking back I wish I had one of them today. I think she only put gas in it about once a month.Z

MillIronQH":2epnjo9o said:
Had a girl friend (as opposed to girlfriend) in high school whose Dad bought her one of those little cars that the front end opened up to get in and out of. The back tires were about two ft. apart. Looking back I wish I had one of them today. I think she only put gas in it about once a month.Z

was it one of those cars they used to call a 'Bubble Car' I loved those little things, but I was to young to own one, and by the time I was they were classics.
bubblecar.jpg

The one she had was wider across the front and was atwo seater. Well 1 3/4 seater. I guarantee if you ever got in a wreck you were going to be the first one there.Z

ALACOWMAN":1cj7b22r said:
branDcalf":1cj7b22r said:
I had a '66 Dodge Dart -- powder blue, had a slant 6, and built like a tank. Ran that car all over the US and sold it for more than I paid. (that never happened again! lol)

I hadn't thought of that car for a long time.
them ol mopars were something else and are commanding top dollar these days.

There's a feller about half way between Hallettsville and Victoria, Texas on US 77 that collects nothing but MoPar muscle cars. Must have a hundred or so there and more than that before the State started widening the road and took most of his property.

One of the guys I knew in high school had a black/white 56 Dodge Texan. I remember it having the sparkplugs in the valve covers so it may have been an early hemi. I know he was hard to beat light to light. I wonder what that sucker would be worth today.

Have you ever been to that classic car sales place on 35 on the north side of San Antonio?Z

54 ford four door seeedan. It was really sweet, (or so I thought). I have an ole 601 ford tractor now that I have "deep" feelings for. Told the wife and son-in-law last weekend that when I go for the "big retirement" that they shouldn't sell the ole tractor - it's a good one.

flaboy?":2sm71irm said:
I forget what year it was but it was a Rambler Metropolitan. Anyone remember them?

I had a job offer on a ranch as a "do it all" guy at 16. I needed a way to get there but my folks had no money so I worked for a guy digging a ditch for him all weekend and he gave me the car for the work. It did not run and hadn't for several years. I got it on Sunday afternoon and had it running Monday afternoon.

I drove it back and forth to work all summer and then to school (how embarrassing :oops: ) for another year.

I understand....

When I first got my permit, I drove a 1969 Ramble that belonged to my mother. My brothers thought it would be pretty funny to put mud tires on it. My mother never noticed. Drive a Ramble with mud tires and see what happens then. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My first car was 1970 RS Camaro. I mowed yards, babysat, cleaned houses, pressed clothes, hauled hay, fed cattle, washed cars, and worked at LJS to pay for that car. I loved that car, it will always be my favorite car.

flaboy?":brr7gt2w said:

I can picture that car. Tiny. One guy at my HS had one. We thought it was pretty cool.
What goes around, comes around. The Honda Fit is about the same thing, 50 yr later. Mercedes also has a version. Lightweight cars for gettin' around towns. Not really gravel road cars.

1964 Galaxie 500. Paid $800 for it in 1971. Older brother loaned me the money. That thing was like driving a tank and really sucked the gas, but heck gas was cheap back then. That was one good old car.

VanC":2p8kjv4g said:
1964 Galaxie 500. Paid $800 for it in 1971. Older brother loaned me the money. That thing was like driving a tank and really sucked the gas, but heck gas was cheap back then. That was one good old car.

Did it have the 460 and 4 in the floor? My dad had one a few years ago, I took it for drive one day it was fun to drive ;-) all but the stopping part. The car was a lot better 0-100 mph than it was 100-0 mph :lol:

58 chevy stepside pickup with the small back window. Couldn't keep the thing running. It used to stall everytime I hit a puddle.

Walt

1949 Ford pickup flat head V8 with 4 speed in the floor. It was rusted up so I painted it yellow with a brush and used toe-sacks to cover the seats. Talk about the cats mew-yow (sp)

aplusmnt":32livsgy said:
VanC":32livsgy said:

Did it have the 460 and 4 in the floor? My dad had one a few years ago, I took it for drive one day it was fun to drive ;-) all but the stopping part. The car was a lot better 0-100 mph than it was 100-0 mph :lol:

No, I think it was a 390 or something close to that. Never was much of a gearhead, no offense meant to those that are. It was an automatic, too. That old girl sure could scoot. Later on had a '77 Mustang that was the first car I bought new. Don't remember how big the engine was and all that, but it was a 4 speed. Only car I ever had that even closely resembled a muscle car. Now I drive a '97 Tracer which pretty much says it all about how exciting my life is. ;-)

I had a 1948 Pontiac. That was one cool car. It had
a windshield wiper in the back window (didn't work).
It was a conversation piece anyway. My second car
was a 1955 Buick. Third was a 1958 Edsel. Wonder
where they all are now. History....I suppose.

Wonder if we are all showing our age or did everyone on the board drive a Classic car when they were a teen? ;-) :lol:

1971 Chevy stepside with a straight 6 and 3 on the column. Loved that truck. You could sit down on the wheel well inside the engine compartment and change the spark plugs or do anything else you needed to do. It was easy to understand how the thing worked and what all the parts did. Nothing complicated.