Finished with heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

S&S Farms

Reaction score
Last heifer calved on the 11th. Spread out over 49 days. Set new bench mark for BW 17 heifers averaged 58.6 lbs. Second heifer out of the gate had 44 lb twins did not include in average. Ranged from 50 to 70 lbs. They look good and our growing most of the calves hit the ground in a 22 day window. I wish it was this easy every year. Had to get the puller out for a backward calf in a mature cow yesterday.

Jeff

congrats on having a great heifer calving season.its always good when there are no major problems.

S&S Farms":13bcb1tv said:
Last heifer calved on the 11th. Spread out over 49 days. Set new bench mark for BW 17 heifers averaged 58.6 lbs. Second heifer out of the gate had 44 lb twins did not include in average. Ranged from 50 to 70 lbs. They look good and our growing most of the calves hit the ground in a 22 day window. I wish it was this easy every year. Had to get the puller out for a backward calf in a mature cow yesterday.

Jeff

That's good. You always appreciate the "easier" years if you have had a tougher one. My 8 heifers have all calved, in a 34 day window. Had to pull one as it was breech, but caught it soon enough and saved it. Only have 8 more cows out of 37 left to calve. Haven't lost any......yet. Finish line is in sight.

bandit80":ecx8wohv said:
S&S Farms":ecx8wohv said:

Jeff

That's good. You always appreciate the "easier" years if you have had a tougher one. My 8 heifers have all calved, in a 34 day window. Had to pull one as it was breech, but caught it soon enough and saved it. Only have 8 more cows out of 37 left to calve. Haven't lost any......yet. Finish line is in sight.

I am sure you have had your fill of rain snow cold mud too. The weather made up for the easy calving heifers. My cows are getting close to the finish line at our place also.

Jeff

S&S Farms":1vx8lkdq said:
bandit80":1vx8lkdq said:
S&S Farms":1vx8lkdq said:

Jeff

I am sure you have had your fill of rain snow cold mud too. The weather made up for the easy calving heifers. My cows are getting close to the finish line at our place also.

Jeff

The weather has made for a, shall we say, challenging year? I had written in my calving book we have had 30" of snow since the first of the year, which is alot for us. I assume you had had similar amount based on your location. We had to start supplementing our cows with some distillers grains to go along with their grass hay. They were just losing condition ever since the December ice storm. Cost $.16/hd/day, but I believe it is worth it.

Latest posts