Finished 3-point sprayer

Help Support CattleToday:

OK, update. I put the sprayer to work this past weekend. I sprayed 30 acres of hayfields that had gotten infested with black eyed susans and various other nasty weeds. For it's first time out I think it went pretty well. First problem was one of the turnbuckles that I adjust the booms with came loose. I put it back together and taped the ends to keep it from vibrating and unscrewing again. That happened about 30 minutes after I started. The only other problem I had was latter in the day the jets started to plug. I have a filter screen on it so I am not sure how the particles were getting to the jets. Maybe I need smaller screen but what I saw in the jets were larger than the screen openings. Maybe these were coming out of the pump? This has to be fixed! Now I just can't wait until I start to see some of the effects of spraying these fields with 2-4D Amine.

Probally the trash you seen was stuff that was left over from the fabrication. You shouldn't wont get much after this first cleaning.

Bama":1ifwb66m said:
Probally the trash you seen was stuff that was left over from the fabrication. You shouldn't wont get much after this first cleaning.

Hey Bama, would this be fabrication of the pump? Since I fabricated the rest I am sure there was nothing in the lines. I do see some stuff in the bottom of the tank. I still would think if it originated in the tank my filter would have caught it.

anghere":22insh9v said:
Bama":22insh9v said:

Hey Bama, would this be fabrication of the pump? Since I fabricated the rest I am sure there was nothing in the lines. I do see some stuff in the bottom of the tank. I still would think if it originated in the tank my filter would have caught it.

I know your message went to Bama, but I'm going to jump in. I doubt the trash came from the pump, but most likely other areas of fabrication and/or the tank itself. You'd think the filter would get all of the trash out, but it never seems to. If I remember correctly you are using Tee Jet spray tips. They make little screens you can put in that will keep from pluging up the tips. Just plugs up the little screens.

On my sprayer it always seems to be the tip directly behind the tank (the one or two that I can't see) that plug up. Don't usually know about it for a week or so, when the weeds start dying, then I have these little green streaks. :lol:

Pretty much what I was gonna say. The only thing I could add is after the season is unhook the pump and pour some oil through it, turn the pump by hand to fully coat it and it will be ready for next year.

Anghere, it probably won't make much difference spraying weeds but it might be handy for you to know that for a proper spray pattern 8043 tips for example have to over lap in their spray pattern I think about 40%. The center of the fan is a denser spray than the outside.

ollie":da04ehip said:
Anghere, it probably won't make much difference spraying weeds but it might be handy for you to know that for a proper spray pattern 8043 tips for example have to over lap in their spray pattern I think about 40%. The center of the fan is a denser spray than the outside.

Thanks for the input. I setup my unit up based on the sapcing calcualtions supplied by TeeJet. Spacing of nozzles and height of booms from ground. I think I have it set up right based on the nozzles I am using. Appreciate the great inputs.

I should have known by the quality and thorough workmanship that you had already checked. Nice sprayer.

I'm really an idiot on these sprayers so bear with me. Do you have to use a different tank and nozzles when you want to fertilize? Or can you fertilize with these sprayers? I would think that you can but what do I know. That's why I'm asking this question.

Thanks
Dick

icandoit
i not going to say you can't, they use liquid ferilizer for lawns and golf courses. but for pasture/crop land i'm more familiar with a spreader,ammonia drill, or slurry truck.

icandoit":279pkihw said:
I'm really an idiot on these sprayers so bear with me. Do you have to use a different tank and nozzles when you want to fertilize? Or can you fertilize with these sprayers? I would think that you can but what do I know. That's why I'm asking this question.

Thanks
Dick

Yes, you can use the same tank. You should clean the tank very well after each use anyway. You may have to change nozzles depending on what the directions say for spraying the fertilizer. The directions will give you a spray rate for output. You may have to adjust nozzle size to get what you want.

flaboy":8z4q84oz said:
icandoit":8z4q84oz said:

Thanks
Dick

Yes, you can use the same tank. You should clean the tank very well after each use anyway. You may have to change nozzles depending on what the directions say for spraying the fertilizer. The directions will give you a spray rate for output. You may have to adjust nozzle size to get what you want.

If you need to decontaminate your tanks use ammonia. Fill the tanks with a strong ammonia mix. I'd use 1 or 2 gallons of commerical strength ammonia in your tank. Fill it up with water. STAY UPWIND! Let stand 15 minutes or more. I usually let mine stand overnight. Drain tank. STAY UPWIND! Make sure you don't have livestock or humans in close proximity downwind of where you drain this tank.

flaboy":2yqvqo5d said:
The directions will give you a spray rate for output. You may have to adjust nozzle size to get what you want.

icandoit...You can also sometimes just reduce your travel speed.

Example if you are appling product at 10 gals an acre at 5 miles an hr.

To get 20 gals an acre simply cut your speed to 2 1/2 miles an hr.

frenchie":2hlmn5gj said:
flaboy":2hlmn5gj said:
The directions will give you a spray rate for output. You may have to adjust nozzle size to get what you want.

icandoit...You can also sometimes just reduce your travel speed.

Example if you are appling product at 10 gals an acre at 5 miles an hr.

To get 20 gals an acre simply cut your speed to 2 1/2 miles an hr.

Good point frenchie.

Hey, thanks for all the replys to MY question. I didn't mean to hijack this post. Sorry anghere. You have a nice looking rig there. Now if we can only get plans for that rig, I'd be real happy.

Dick

icandoit":2gefxjm7 said:
Hey, thanks for all the replys to MY question. I didn't mean to hijack this post. Sorry anghere. You have a nice looking rig there. Now if we can only get plans for that rig, I'd be real happy.

Dick

Plans? What kind of plans do you need? The most important part is the tank you use. You basically have to build around the tank.
1. Get your tank picked (wish I had gone a little bigger)
2. Make a frame that will just fit over the tank
3.. Use some 1 inch band, SS if you can find it to support the bottom of the tank. Use 4-5 bands on the bottom making sure to leave clearance for the tank output (usually in the bottom center)
4. Make a carrying basket that will support the tank and frame in step 2. There are several ways to do this. This carry basket will have to support all the weight of sprayer filled with liquid.
5. A rectangular carry basket is the easiest to fabricate. Make such that the frame for the tank sits down in it and can be welded/bolted to the basket. This basket should be designed with 3-point attaching in mind and the back such that the booms can easily be attached later.
6. Once you have the basket built, fab your 3-point connections.
7. Start your plumbing. I find it easier to do with the unit on the tractor and lifted.
8. Tank output to shutoff valve, shut off valve to strainer, strainer to PTO attached pump, pump to pressure regulator, regulator overpressure back into tank, output of pressure regulator to back of rig for connection to spray booms.
9. Do a search on wet and dry spray booms and figure out which you want to use.

Hope this helps you get started.

tytower":2weu2jtq said:
I take it thats a roller pump , what stops the pump from turning as the shaft turns?

Yes it is a roller pump. There is a "L" bracket bolted to the pump that sticks straight down. It rests up against the draw bar to prevent it from turning.

flaboy-":2fm5pf0h said:
tytower":2fm5pf0h said:
I take it thats a roller pump , what stops the pump from turning as the shaft turns?

Yes it is a roller pump. There is a "L" bracket bolted to the pump that sticks straight down. It rests up against the draw bar to prevent it from turning.

All of our roller pumps have a light weight chain fastened to them that hooks to the drawbar. I suppose it could be hooked anywhere but the drawbar works best for me.

dun

Latest posts