Finished 3-point sprayer

Help Support CattleToday:

anghere

Reaction score
Well, I finished my 3-point attached sprayer last night. Put the boom supports on. Now all I need is a coat of paint. I started with a 55 spray tank I had laying around and went from there. It has two fold down booms with teeJet nozzle bodies and nozzles. I used a PTO driven pump to insure I could get to volume I needed to the spray heads. I put a pressure relief valve in and just blow the excess back in the tank. With the booms extended it will spray about 16 feet wide. I originally wanted 20 feet but didn't make it due to using metal I already had. Total cash output is around $375. I looked around and couldn't find any PTO driven units with spray booms anywhere near that price range. I saw an ATV mounted small electric pump rig around that price but it was a POS. It may have been ok for lawn use but not in a pasture.

If anyone is interested I will post a picture once I get it painted.

I'd like to see it and any plans you have drawn up. Where did you get the pump? Northern Tool probably would have most of the parts huh.

anghere":1fxxm47z said:
Well, I finished my 3-point attached sprayer last night.

If anyone is interested I will post a picture once I get it painted.

i am, i plan on building one within the next few months..

thanks

jt

OK folks, seems to be decent interest so I will paint and get a pic this weekend and post it. Plan's? Someone asked about plan's? All my plans are in my head. I just picture something and start building it. If you need measurements I can get those but the picture will pretty much explain everything. If not just ask and I will try to answer.

The pump is a Hypro 7650. I got it at tractor supply as it was the cheapest there. I found some on the web cheaper but wit shipping they were more. I also used TeeJet components. They were cheaper on the web too but I found Tractor Supply to be just a few bucks more for all the parts I needed so I just got them there. I had one TeeJet dealer quote me 2X what TS wanted for them. I think he thought I just fell off the turnip truck. Oh, and which ever pump you get make sure it is a CCW rotation for PTO use.

Yes, please get a pic ASAP. I am interested also. I converted my pull behind 30 gal sprayer that I pull behind my 4 wheeler into a 12 ft boom sprayer, but as you stated, it didnt really work too well in the pasture. It worked great in my lawn area, but the roughness of the pasture just beat the arms to death and the aluminum sq bar I used for the booms ended up getting wallowed out where the hinges attached. I finally just welded the hinges to the sq bar instead of bolting, but I am still not real happy with it. I also used t jets from TSC, and they have all the fittings you need.

I patched up my old spray rig this season. Last winter somehow some fireants built a mound under the tank. Even though it was about a foot off the ground. Any way the ground contact rusted it out in a couple of places. The ants actually had built up on the inside as well. A nice new 110 gallon poly tank was about a $125 at TSC. I just couldn't see buying a new poly tank. I spent several hours welding. I would hit it with a rod and the rust would just blow a larger hole. After several welding rods my son said "this has gotten to be a personal challenge with you". I guess he was right I was determined and finally got it holding water again. I also use tee jet nozzles. You can buy better ones but the tee jets are easily replaced. Mine looks like it was eaten by a grizzly bear and "Be Nice" out over a bluff, but it gets the job done.

Ok, I will only put a couple pictures out here so the dial-up users won't get too mad. If you need a better picture of a specific area let me know.
sprayer1.jpg

sprayer2.jpg

sprayer3.jpg

thanks,

looks like you did a good job!

jt

jt":qtvo7c4f said:
thanks,

looks like you did a good job!

jt

Thanks for the comment. I still need to get two end jets. I currently have them plugged. If you have ay questions let me know and I will try to answer them.

Looks good. What is the band on those nozzles. They look to be around 28" - 30" or so.

Bama":111l2gzw said:
Looks good. What is the band on those nozzles. They look to be around 28" - 30" or so.

Hey, I am no spray wizard here so I don't know what you mean by "band". The spacing between each nozzle is ~22 inches. Depending on how high (boom) I spray from varies the width of coverage. I plan to spray from a height of ~28 inches. During my tests this seemed to give me good coverage nozzle to nozzle without too much overlap. I should be able to spray about 15-16 foot each pass once I get the two end nozzles on. Hope this answers you question. Oh, these nozzle tips are 80 degrees. They have 110 degrees also.

Be sure to use pumps with 15/16" shafts, from experience the 5/8" shaft will not hold up to pasture spraying.

TDR":21t6p5cw said:
Be sure to use pumps with 15/16" shafts, from experience the 5/8" shaft will not hold up to pasture spraying.

Yeah this is a 15/16 inch shaft Hypro pump. I amy have figured out what he meant by band. He may have meant "brand". If so, the brand nozzles are TeeJet.

Oh, and I just picked up the two end nozzles about a hour ago.

anghere; I use a very similar sprayer with a pto driven roller pump like you. I've learned this the hard way, so I'll pass on my costly experience to you at no charge. Rinse out the pump and fill with oil or diesel after spraying. Do not let it sit for extended periods of time with a spray mixture or water in it. It will corrode up and not operate the next time you want to use it. I had to replace mine this spring after I forgot to oil it up last fall.

Great looking sprayer

Greg

SF":2jjkbjad said:
anghere; I use a very similar sprayer with a pto driven roller pump like you. I've learned this the hard way, so I'll pass on my costly experience to you at no charge. Rinse out the pump and fill with oil or diesel after spraying. Do not let it sit for extended periods of time with a spray mixture or water in it. It will corrode up and not operate the next time you want to use it. I had to replace mine this spring after I forgot to oil it up last fall.

Great looking sprayer

Greg

greg, you probably know this, but just in case... you can take them apart and clean em up pretty easy most of the time.. i've had to do that a time or 2. and i am told that you can buy repair kits for them... i guess it would depend on the pump type??

and then again, yours could have been beyond repair...

jt

jt":1oglmwdd said:
SF":1oglmwdd said:

Great looking sprayer

Greg

greg, you probably know this, but just in case... you can take them apart and clean em up pretty easy most of the time.. i've had to do that a time or 2. and i am told that you can buy repair kits for them... i guess it would depend on the pump type??

and then again, yours could have been beyond repair...

jt

:lol: Unfortunately for me, mine was beyond repair. Had some miscommunication between the operator and myself. We both thought the other cleaned the unit out. Turned out, nobody did, but didn't know that till this year when we went to use it. Pump was froze up tight. Operator decided to free it up by connecting it to the tractor. He freed it up alright, but it didn't pump anymore. :lol: :lol: Have it on the shelf now. Guess I think I may ingeniously find a way to fix it someday. :lol:

Most of these roller pumps don't have to be taken apart to free. Just loosen the bolts up a little, it should turn. Put it in a vice and turn with a pipe wrench. Putting oil down the inlet and turning it a few time prevents this. Roller pumps can take a lot but a inline filter on the intake will help a lot.I also put quick connects on them. I reverse the male and female quick connects to quickly see which hose goes where. In storage I have a couple of blanked off connectors that I put on to keep the dust and critters out.

Latest posts