Finding a good 6.9 or 7.3 L engine to swap

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I like my current farm truck so I spoke with the two local shops about a diesel engine swap for my F250. Both said salvage engines are hard to find but they would do the work if I bought in a used engine at my own risk. No warranty... One offered to rebuild my 6.9 for $4,100, but I think that may be a lot of money to put into an "86.

I then checked with the local salvage yard. They had nothing, but found a 6.9 that they would ship in for $2,400. For that amount I was wondering if I should try to find a used 7.3 for an upgrade, or does that create too many issues?

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Check with LKQ Corporation - they are salvage yards across the US... excellent reputation, 1st class... my favorite yard is Smart Parts out of Hustisford Wisconsin... give them a business name, like your "Farm Name" as I don't believe they deal with "private" type customers.

Sorry, I can't help you on your interchange issues, but if you talk to a good sales person, they should have most if not all the info for you.

Good luck.

Michele

You can swap a 5.9 cummins in it might cost to much but I think they make a kit. I've seen them in magazines then you could have the best truck and the best motor :mrgreen:

Stocker Steve":ci53sx4i said:
One offered to rebuild my 6.9 for $4,100, but I think that may be a lot of money to put into an "86.

You quoted a shipped used engine for $2,400, and its going into the same 86". I think I would just have my engine rebuilt. Sure its costing your more but how much is piece of mind worth to ya?

Latest posts